• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France: Stage 6: Épernay → Metz (207.5km)

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Hendo talking about Greipel ( disolacted his shoulder at one point when he crashed, he was very lucky to even finish this stage and even more to even sprint for 2nd, what a beast... )

"The first crash was really bad and he popped his shoulder out and it popped straight back in," Henderson told CW at the finish. "His wrist was also really swollen and he was like: ‘no I'm not sprinting, I'm not sprinting.'"

"I gave him ten minutes and I said: ‘you don't have to win. Just stay with us, we'll put you in position and you can run a top ten because then you get some points.' You could see him thinking, and then I got back on the radio again and I said, ‘righto, we're sprinting for Greipel again.'"

Gloin22 said:
Hendo talking about Greipel ( disolacted his shoulder at one point when he crashed, he was very lucky to even finish this stage and even more to even sprint for 2nd, what a beast... )

"The first crash was really bad and he popped his shoulder out and it popped straight back in," Henderson told CW at the finish. "His wrist was also really swollen and he was like: ‘no I'm not sprinting, I'm not sprinting.'"

"I gave him ten minutes and I said: ‘you don't have to win. Just stay with us, we'll put you in position and you can run a top ten because then you get some points.' You could see him thinking, and then I got back on the radio again and I said, ‘righto, we're sprinting for Greipel again.'"

What a beast. Chapeau. And he got a well-deserved second place. Let's hope he can continue at close to his best, as he is in contention for the Green.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
A lot of people might not know this, but Greipel has a weak shoulder that has been dislocated a lot. That's why he never tried anything on the track.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
wtf

I just came home, expecting to see the result of a boring sprint stage....

Gesink Mollema Kruijswijk all crashing and losing time is what I hear, Poels
abandoning.

Seriously.... wtf....

A bad day to be Dutch :(

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
wtf

I just came home, expecting to see the result of a boring sprint stage....

Gesink Mollema Kruijswijk all crashing and losing time is what I hear, Poels
abandoning.

Seriously.... wtf....

A bad day to be Dutch :(

haha and I thought after the disastrous Euro12 performance: "Good, I don't care. Here is the TdF. That'll bring us some joy instead."

Boy was I wrong. ;)

Just saw this in a poll on sportwereld.be in a question about the biggest fail of the day:

Koersdirecteur Jean-François Pescheux: in plaats van de gevallen renners te helpen, liet hij de fietsen van de weg halen zodat hij zijn weg kon voortzetten.

Tour technical director JF Pescheux: instead of helping crashed riders, he had the bikes removed from the road so that he could continue following the race.

I don't know if it's tendentious reporting, but if he really was more concerned about moving through to the head of the race, instead of being concerned about the riders, he is well... erm..

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Jani Brajkovic
last 25km I averaged 53km/h. :eek:

It doesn't matter what happend today. :( There is still enough time for him to do some damage at this year's Tour. :cool:

Penalty for Gesink and Kruijswijk is one of the most stupidest decisions I could think of :mad:

Escarabajo said:
The crash happened at the back of the peloton, and as you know, if you are a GC contender you have to be at the front of the peloton. So there is more than just luck to the crashes. Just saying. Having said that, I also hate to see GC contenders go down.

I made the point in my original post that riding near the front is desirable. The problem is that every team wants their GC contenders at the front. It's not possible for all of them to be there. The strongest teams have the best chance of keeping their leaders near the front, but even then they won't always be up front. Too many other riders want to be there too.

Terrible day. I don't know how much it would help, but I echo the calls of many here for an earlier mountain stage to sort out some of the GC hopefuls.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Arnout said:
Unacceptable that his DS allowed him to get back on the bike in my opinion. He was strapped in an ambulance, and was allowed to get out (personnel can't do anything about it, they can't force anyone into treatment) again.

Wow. I didn't know he had been inside the ambulance :( That's (almost) criminal.

[UPDATE: Team director Daan Luickx was interviewed after the race and he said that Poels himself insisted he be put back on his bike. He said he told Poels to stop racing because it was too serious. He then rode for another 10K and then stopped because he couldn't ride any longer. He made it to the finish line in the team car, and he had to wait 10m for an ambulance. No mention he was inside the ambulance on the road I think :confused:]

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Ryder Hesjedal large hematoma/bruised upper leg; they'll be monitoring the developments this evening/night.

Doesn't look good for him prior to tomorrow's, tough stage.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Movistar Team ‏@Movistar_Team
.@ImanolErviti abandona el ‪#TdF12‬ con una profunda herida en su pierna derecha; @Ivangutipal, seria duda para mañana. http://is.gd/RTQli5

Erviti abandons with deep wound in his right leg (with loss of muscle mass); he needs to undergo surgery. Ivan Guttierez is in doubt; he suffered from a hard blow to the knee, which might prevent him from starting tomorrow.

http://movistarteam.com/noticias/2012-7-6/erviti-abandona-gutierrez-seria-duda

El navarro tendrá que ser operado de su profunda herida en la pierna derecha que le mantendrá ingresado 48 horas, mientras el cántabro sufre un fortísimo golpe en la rodilla derecha que podría impedirle tomar la salida mañana

[...]

El ciclista navarro sufre una profunda herida en su pierna derecha con pérdida de masa muscular que precisa el paso por el quirófano –probablemente, esta misma noche- y que le mantendrá al menos 48 horas ingresado en el centro hospitalario galo

[...]
El corredor cántabro tiene un fortísimo golpe en la rodilla derecha que le impide prácticamente andar y en la que, pese a que las radiografías han descartado en principio cualquier fractura o fisura, puede tener afectado el cartílago rotuliano

Rojas had already abandoned during an earlier stage.

Jesus H. Christ, what absolute carnage. F@ck this race.

Poor Poels... a ruptured spleen, a ruptured kidney... WTF? It sounds really serious, but apparently if there's no internal bleeding they don't need to operate. I didn't even know you could rupture an organ without bleeding.

Bala Verde said:
Wow. I didn't know he had been inside the ambulance :( That's (almost) criminal.

[UPDATE: Team director Daan Luickx was interviewed after the race and he said that Poels himself insisted he be put back on his bike. He said he told Poels to stop racing because it was too serious. He then rode for another 10K and then stopped because he couldn't ride any longer. He made it to the finish line in the team car, and he had to wait 10m for an ambulance. No mention he was inside the ambulance on the road I think :confused:]

He told in in a Radio 1 interview, it's on NOS.nl. He was strapped in with special equipment, in an ambulance, decided to go out again himself, DS allowed him to.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Arnout said:
He told in in a Radio 1 interview, it's on NOS.nl. He was strapped in with special equipment, in an ambulance, decided to go out again himself, DS allowed him to.

thanks for the update.

I then think the team director shouldn't have allowed him to leave. I think he personally can refuse medical treatment, so the doctors might not be able to hold him. But the team director should have insisted he not get onto his bike anymore.

Tragic.

Bala Verde said:
thanks for the update.

I then think the team director shouldn't have allowed him to leave. I think he personally can refuse medical treatment, so the doctors might not be able to hold him. But the team director should have insisted he not get onto his bike anymore.

Tragic.

Agreed.

saDGJFsdjgoisjfg

TRENDING THREADS