• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France: Stage 7: Tomblaine → La Planche des Belles Filles (199km)

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 27, 2010
Visit site
Trunnions said:
People are forgetting Cadel was nowhere near his best form at the start of the TdF. His intention was to ride into form, and he is doing. Today was not his peak either, there's much more to come from him to be sure.

Kinda agree with you from the beginning I could kinda tell that cadel was not going to enter the tour with such blistering form like he did last year.
Hopefully his form will improve in the next two weeks.
I'm expecting a good TT from him. No time lost to wiggins so its way not over yet and there are still mountain stages to come.

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Fetisoff said:
Rolland on his own will not be able to crack Sky, unfortunately

I was very surprised to see him crack today, after last year's performance.
I'd have thought he'd be on a par with Nibali in the mountains, but not so apparently.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
whittashau said:
So is half of Britain registering and crashing the forum in the wake of UK postal's performance today? This isn't going to be pretty.

I think you're on to something

aa70f0005835.jpg

EDIT: That's EST, add 6 hours for CET

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
This isn't a personal attack to your Wiggo, don't worry.
I did not think it was. Although I would like a Brit to win if he doesn't then the chances are he was not good enough. For the record I enjoy watching Geraint far more because he is a much more versatile rider.

I genuinely don't understand the logic of watching something that you don't enjoy.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:
Rolland was in the crash yesterday, he was by far the best of the crashers today, and surprised me with that as well.

Menchov crashed too actually (not the big one, but the early one, involving Greipel and Freire)
Not sure how much it affected him today, if any though

Logic-is-your-friend said:
I doubt that, because Van den Broeck caught up with Mollema after his chase and left him (as well as Gesink, Kruijswijck, Basso, Leipheimer, Klöden...) And this was at the bottom of the climb. And while he (JVdB) tanked, he still finished a minute before Mollema.

Maybe VDB is going really well though and could have been close to the leaders? He was instantly 37 seconds down and had to chase by himself much of the time. Im not saying Mollema would have done that much better than he did.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Now all we can hope for is that the 4 guys (Evans, Wiggins, Menchoc, Nibali) who haven't had bad luck, also lose time.

Today was a relatively short, relatively steep single climb. Sometimes people struggle first day in the mountains so today isnt necessarily a guide to what will happen so some others might be up there in the future. Be interesting to see how Wiggins responds to multi-mountain stages and if other teams will try to put Porte and Rogers under pressure. I do agree that it seems to be between those four though.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
It's interesting because I don't see a lot of 'hysterical SKY Fanboy action' to be fair.

I see an awful lot of hysterical anti-SKY people going on about hysterical SKY fanboys.

Don't be late Pedro said:
I did not think it was. Although I would like a Brit to win if he doesn't then the chances are he was not good enough. For the record I enjoy watching Geraint far more because he is a much more versatile rider.

I genuinely don't understand the logic of watching something that you don't enjoy.

This is the problem with a lot of sport though. If you like the underlying sport, you can never be sure you won't enjoy it beforehand.

I am finding it harder and harder to call myself a cycling fan. I watch now hoping to be entertained like I have been by many races over the years. There has been little in 2012 that has entertained me like I have been entertained in the past.

In my opinion, the course is very interesting, there are a lot of not-so-hard-but-potentially-very-interesting stages coming up. It's just annoying that all exciting riders had either a hampered build-up or are hurt from crashes.

UlleGigo said:
If you want to believe in unicorns that's nobody's business but your own. It doesn't hurt anybody. But if you want to start criticising me of sour grapes you should perhaps first familarise yourself with the impact that farcical performances like that have on cycling.

I'd put my hands up and say that the rest are clearly not good enough if that were a viable option. But unfortunately it is quite obviously not.

Anyone that knows anything about cycling knows what they just saw. And they also know that nothing will be done about it.

Wiggins is a chump, so if he can climb with Evans he's up to something. That seems to be your argument. Do you realise how ridiculous you sound?

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I am finding it harder and harder to call myself a cycling fan. I watch now hoping to be entertained like I have been by many races over the years. There has been little in 2012 that has entertained me like I have been entertained in the past.

Stay strong. Just over a month left till Portugal :)