• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France: Stage 7: Tomblaine → La Planche des Belles Filles (199km)

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
before the stage tons of people think gap will be very small including some professional like Samu. It showed this sort of short and steep climb can have some unexpected result. I think in the future tour organizer will try to use this sort of climb more frequently. On the other hand, the big gap might have something to do with yesterday big CRASH and happened so early in the tour. Nonetheless a good job by ASO.

dlwssonic said:
Isn't the downhill way too far from the finish?? Plus there is that vital TT coming up the next day. There are more descents closer to the finish to gain time on wiggins.

Admittedly, it's not ideal. 16kms from the top to the finish line. Depends: If a small group of descenders decide to cooperate.
Maybe, maybe not. If Sky put on the hurt on the final climb........

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Would of been an awesome stage if Andy and Alberto were there to fight it out with Wiggins Nibali and Evans. Hopefully some climbers like Schleck VDB and Sammy can stay with the others in latter stages.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
I am still trying to work out the logic why Garmin did so much on the front going up to the climb - for Dan Martin - you must be joking he lost more than a minute and never showed his face.
All they ended up doing was acting as extra men in the Sky train.
:confused:

they hope Dan can win and they tried, at least they don't have to ask what if questions later. And they are in a desperate situation right now, basically willing to try anything even crazy things.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
I am still trying to work out the logic why Garmin did so much on the front going up to the climb - for Dan Martin - you must be joking he lost more than a minute and never showed his face.

Pretty bad tactics by Garmin in my opinion. They probably thought they could win the stage, but all there guys that could win it have all crashed recently. So I don't know what, if any, logic Vaughters was using there.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Unkown said:
Would of been an awesome stage if Andy and Alberto were there to fight it out with Wiggins Nibali and Evans. Hopefully some climbers like Schleck VDB and Sammy can stay with the others in latter stages.

Schleck, VDB and Sammy will all be irrelevant after Monday.

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Unkown said:

By awesome do you mean Alberto dropping the other four and them struggling to minimize the time loss?

Afrank said:
Pretty bad tactics by Garmin in my opinion. They probably thought they could win the stage, but all there guys that could win it have all crashed recently. So I don't know what, if any, logic Vaughters was using there.
The logic was obviously that they weren't going to achieve anything if they didn't give it a try.

TourOfSardinia said:
Well logically, Dan Martin should be superior to the likes of Wiggins and Froome on such a climb. If the pace had been a little slower, he'd have a good chance as he has a great kick in the end for finishes like this one. But yeah, Dan doesn't have a swimming coach...

May 19, 2011
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:
Can't wait for Sagan and Nibali to take hours on Sky on the descents.

if Sagan can make to the final descent of some stages, Evans and Nibali work together is a more realistic possiblity

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
UlleGigo said:
That and a little training technique being used by Sky that was invented by a well known doctor that had some undisclosed, but obviously well known, extra elements to it.

Do you think everyone is referring to them, as I have done, as 'UK Postal' because they're really truly super duper riders?

It is the Sky fanbois who look rediculous here. You have to maintain a realistic perspective here and I am certainly doing that.

I don't expect to get anywhere however. I'm dealing with a rich assortment of know-nothings.

Riders punching above their weight when given the teams complete support = obvious doping?

I find some members of Sky suspect, but not enough to call them 'UK Postal'.

Seems that if any team shows any good form, then they must be doping, happens every year, if it's not Contador being accused of doping, it's Voeckler, or any number of riders who have moments of exceptional performance. People can drag out numbers all they want, but it must make cycling the most boring sport for them if they believe that if someone does better than someone else they must be doping.

I'm not saying Sky are not doping, but I'm not saying they are either, just tired of the same thing happening every grand tour, those in front getting accused on these forums as dopers.

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:

Yeah i guess, but on a climb such as the one we saw today and with all riders on top form Contador riding away would really be the only outcome, very steep and changing gradient throughout the climb is perfect for Alberto, the others prefer longer climbs with a more constant gradient where they can get in a rhythm.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Very intriguing stage. It's pity only that stupid Movistar chose wrong tactics initially. Vasya had to be their first GC leader.:mad:

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Admittedly, it's not ideal. 16kms from the top to the finish line. Depends: If a small group of descenders decide to cooperate.
Maybe, maybe not. If Sky put on the hurt on the final climb........
Sky will have at least 4 riders left at the top of the climb. It will have to be really technical for anyone to get away.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
the asian said:
Let them have their time in the sun. It doesn't happen too often.

Exactly! Got to say that was the most epic piece of cycling I have ever seen. When they did it in the Vuelta I was loving it, but to do it in the Tour... OMFG!!! :D We may never see a British team with British riders put on this kind of show ever again so I'm going to enjoy every second of it.

Also I bet Wiggo is damned happy Froome lost time to the puncture or else surely Froome would have to be made leader. What a ****ing hero!

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
UlleGigo said:
That and a little training technique being used by Sky that was invented by a well known doctor that had some undisclosed, but obviously well known, extra elements to it.

Do you think everyone is referring to them, as I have done, as 'UK Postal' because they're really truly super duper riders?

It is the Sky fanbois who look rediculous here. You have to maintain a realistic perspective here and I am certainly doing that.

I don't expect to get anywhere however. I'm dealing with a rich assortment of know-nothings.

You sound insane. You should be put into a straight-jacket, thrown into a caged van and driven away as you scream and foam with rage!:D

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Kiryienka. Airstream's using a native abbreviation/diminutive for Vasil.

Did you like the stage? I think it was absolute maximum of spectacle that could be extracted from such a type of parcours.:)