• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France: Stage 7: Tomblaine → La Planche des Belles Filles (199km)

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
but that was obvious for everybody i think

froomy even said that he was surprised to drop cadel because he didn't go full-gas,he just rode a little bit hard
now imagine toussuire!damn what a show that will be

Probably it's gonna be 2002 Plateau de Beille remake with Evans in Beloki's role. :cool: :p

Wiggins was going 100% the moment Evans went and wasn't able to hold the wheel. He may pretend otherwise, but I think he's afraid of Froome.

Last year I was cheering for Evans, I might be again this year. Even though I don't like him, but the alternatives are worse :(

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:
Wiggins was going 100% the moment Evans went and wasn't able to hold the wheel. He may pretend otherwise, but I think he's afraid of Froome.

Last year I was cheering for Evans, I might be again this year. Even though I don't like him, but the alternatives are worse :(

i think so too, that is why I don't like his bragging after the stage ,maybe he is trying to play psycho war too

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Geraint Too Fast said:
This forum can be really pathetic... :rolleyes:

You new here? I never ceased to be amazed by the level of hatred (not a mild dislike, or a lack of affinity with -but hatred) aimed towards so many riders, in most instances for doing nothing more than riding a bike in a way they don't like.

You can go on golf websites and you'll probably find 1-2% of the worlds golfers generate hatred, same with snooker players, athletes, probaby even boxers. There's even football fans sites, where Joey Barton & El hadj diouf cop less venom.

Gubby Allen said:
You new here? I never ceased to be amazed by the level of hatred (not a mild dislike, or a lack of affinity with -but hatred) aimed towards so many riders, in most instances for doing nothing more than riding a bike in a way they don't like.

You can go on golf websites and you'll probably find 1-2% of the worlds golfers generate hatred, same with snooker players, athletes, probaby even boxers. There's even football fans sites, where Joey Barton & El hadj diouf cop less venom.

Wiggins goes round talking **** about people like Sastre and Contador, and mocking those who critisized Armstrong. Dont be surprised when people like that get the **** swung back in their faces, and dont euthanize it as hating him for riding his bike.

Gubby Allen said:

It is not a coincidence that the downfall of this site/forum started at the same time as the rise in prominence of the 'English' riders and the posters that followed. Trolling the usual 'English' superiority b/s in their ignorance/arrogance. Before then it was just gentle fun amongst nations and their riders. Even the Aussies.

ferryman said:
When Sky set up a train of 4, consisting mainly of Rogers and Porte for 3/4 of the climb, which shell out big style, the number of proven GC contenders like Schleck and Menchov and Sanchez and Scarponi (yes Porte and Rogers dropped those guys) you can't be blind.
Well apparently you are because Menchov was dropped AFTER Froome took over from Porte, next time watch the race instead of playing the hate game.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't think this is near over. I think Wiggins might struggle on multiple climb, harder longer climbing days. Evans looked strong, Froome was on fire. Wiggins looked to be holding on and not that well in fact. Struggled to get back to Evans wheel when he went.....don't know if Evans will be able to put quite enough time into Wiggins to hold him off in the TT's but it should be fun to watch.

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
The Tour is hardly over. This is one of the only three summit finishes this year, plus there's 95km of TT left.

+ 20 bazillion.

one mountain stage - a medium mountain stage with a short but killer finishing ramp - does not a tour make.

there are plenty of kilometers to go: two long time trials, medium mountain stages, loooooong, flat stages in what could be oppressive heat and, of course, the high mountains.

gentlemen and ladies of cycling news forums, i offer the reminder that above all, tdf is a race of attrition - a race in which the physically strongest man may succumb to the man who is psychologically stronger. in the latter department, evans has - in my *opinion* - a clear advantage over wiggans. let's not forget this is not the dauphine or romandie or paris-nice. this is the tour - a three week grind in which EVERY stage is ridden under a microscope of media attention and pressure to perform.

let's see how wiggan's and the sky train's legs are feeling in week three before wailing "the tour is over, wiggans has this in the bag!"

AND...let's especially not forget that if contador was riding....everyone else would be racing for second place. :D

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
ferryman said:
It is not a coincidence that the downfall of this site/forum started at the same time as the rise in prominence of the 'English' riders and the posters that followed. Trolling the usual 'English' superiority b/s in their ignorance/arrogance. Before then it was just gentle fun amongst nations and their riders. Even the Aussies.

I wasn't specifically referring to Wiggins, he's one of any number of riders and bar Cav (strictly speaking not English) none of the other are English or British. Even Sagan, to a lesser extent had some vitriol albeit spur of the moment for riding across to Cancellara up a huge gradient & saving himself to win. For a word 'hate' to crop up, the volume that it does in so many race threads, is a tad sad.

Of the riders I most like there's not a Briton among them and tbh. I'm quite nonplussed with Wiggins, liked him on the track, seems a good decent family man & I like the way he is immersed in cycling, loved it since a kid, seems a genuine fan of the sport and aware of its history but I never come away from an interview any more endeared to him, as I sometimes do with Cav.

I'm unaware of what Wiggins ever said about Sastre & the chances are I'd have disagreed with him, but that backs up my point even more that hating any sportsman for riding a bike, or throwaway comments that you disagreed with seems more akin to football fans and Talk Sport than cycling.

There aren't too many cyclists I've disliked at times more than Lance, even his autobiography didn't endear me to him, I've hated things he has done or said, but hate him?

Great stage for team Sky but obviously the Tour is far from over.

Anyone know what happened to another dark horse, Levi Leipheimer? He finished 48th on the stage at 3:11, a terrible result for a guy who's usually a decent climber. He was hoping for a top five and lots of TT kilometers in this year's Tour gave him a shot, if a long one. Forget it now. He's obviously not in form.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
patrick767 said:

Anyone know what happened to another dark horse, Levi Leipheimer? He finished 48th on the stage at 3:11, a terrible result for a guy who's usually a decent climber. He was hoping for a top five and lots of TT kilometers in this year's Tour gave him a shot, if a long one. Forget it now. He's obviously not in form.

he did not have the legs, he told reporters he did not have any power left even before the climb started. He hope this would be his only bad day

Gubby Allen said:
I wasn't specifically referring to Wiggins, he's one of any number of riders and bar Cav (strictly speaking not English) none of the other are English or British. Even Sagan, to a lesser extent had some vitriol albeit spur of the moment for riding across to Cancellara up a huge gradient & saving himself to win. For a word 'hate' to crop up, the volume that it does in so many race threads, is a tad sad.

Of the riders I most like there's not a Briton among them and tbh. I'm quite nonplussed with Wiggins, liked him on the track, seems a good decent family man & I like the way he is immersed in cycling, loved it since a kid, seems a genuine fan of the sport and aware of its history but I never come away from an interview any more endeared to him, as I sometimes do with Cav.

I'm unaware of what Wiggins ever said about Sastre & the chances are I'd have disagreed with him, but that backs up my point even more that hating any sportsman for riding a bike, or throwaway comments that you disagreed with seems more akin to football fans and Talk Sport than cycling.

There aren't too many cyclists I've disliked at times more than Lance, even his autobiography didn't endear me to him, I've hated things he has done or said, but hate him?

He said nothing about him. He gave a quote praising Evans for being the fist TdF winner in 20 years who the public could trust as being clean. It was clear that Sastre was just an oversight and he was praising Evans rather putting the likes of CS down. The quote came just after the Contador case and seemed like he was just trying to big up the peleton at last year's Tour as being cleaner than it had previously been. Didnt stop the haters picking holes in it though.

Caruut said:
Used just to find Bradley a bit irritating, I think this tour could turn me into a full-blown hater.

LOL me too! Froome on the other hand, what a beast, him I adore. They should turn that boy loose to ride :) I don't dislike SKY, just Wiggans LOL! What a show of power by the strongest team (so far) in the race, Respect!!!

LONG way to go, anything could happen, but the possible winners are now very limited I think.

Remember us three years ago, laughing when Brailsford told the world in his bombastic press conference, launching Team Sky, that there would be a British Team Sky Tourwinner in 5 years (or 10 years even, I don't remember).

We're not laughing anymore.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't enjoy not liking a Brit..... but Wiggo is a bit of a whopper.

One thing, no denying the pace was high and Sky performed surprisingly well, but everyone there is an excuse for most riders dropped. Menchov has never performed in the opening 10 days of any GT. He'll come good later on. Samu was injured pretty badly at Dauphine, not ideal preperation. Frank was apparently pretty badly injured yesterday, and was hurting today so no surprise he was distanced. VDB's punctured, Rolland injured, Valverede mechanical etc.

So as impressive as Sky were, there case has been helped no end by bad luck on the part of their competition.

UlleGigo said:
I sound insane because Sky's climbing coach, who is suspect enough in his own right, is using a training technique that was started by Ferrari.
This is pointless.

UlleGigo said:
Well look at you go. A bard is amongst us.

Shame Sky will still lose despite the doctor's best efforts.

Don't bring clinic related issues into race threads, especially when you are throwing stones, while standing in a big, glass house.
Google is your friend.

Besides, there's always cricket.......................oh wait.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Gubby Allen said:

Well said.

I am a wiggins fan but TBH my favourite rider is the one that puts the most balls into any ride on any given day. However, the witch-hunt Hate-posts that sometimes gets traction on this site is shocking.

Gubby Allen said:

I don't think people hate him. I think they hate what he's doing to the sport. What we're seeing is a little too obvious for some people liking.

Only time will tell. My only concern is this the way he really wants to win?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
ferryman said:

I agree. I have read the forum for a couple of years and enjoyed the good humour and banter that was on the site. There was previously a number of posters on this site who where very informative and very witty, particlarly on race day but they seem to have disappeared this year. You only have to look at the thread titles recently and Sky or its riders are the subject of an increasing number of repetititive threads, or another thread is hijacked by Sky fans.

I find the arrogance of Team Sky, its riders and and British Commentators/fans/journalists embarrassing, which is sad as I am British. However, its par for British sport and overhyping its sportsmen.

Therefore, please note Ferryman that not all Brits are Sky fans or fans of the British cycling academy.

Normandy said:
I agree. I have read the forum for a couple of years and enjoyed the good humour and banter that was on the site. There was previously a number of posters on this site who where very informative and very witty, particlarly on race day but they seem to have disappeared this year. You only have to look at the thread titles recently and Sky or its riders are the subject of an increasing number of repetititive threads, or another thread is hijacked by Sky fans.

A lot of very valuable members have disappeared or have become less active. It's sad, this place used to be very good but these days, and it's not only because it is July, it has become a fanboy vs fanboy war zone. British vs Australian, rest of the world vs British, Contador vs Schleck, and so on.

Sad to experience the demise of a great place.

patrick767 said:

Leipheimer was dropped already when EBH was on the front. Mollema blames his time loss on Leipheimer leaving a gap (resulting in the split in the peloton) before the climb.

Brajkovic said that: "Leading into the climb we were doing 480 watts. It was really incredible how fast we went." So if that's true that basically means that EBH must have been doing 600 watts or more at the front. No wonder the peloton was split...