• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France: Stage 8: Belfort → Porrentruy (157.5km)

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Evans losing around 1 minute tomorrow is acceptable. Hopefully he can get that back somewhere when/if Wiggins gets tired in the 3rd week. I expect them to be roughly even in the last TT.

Nothing can stop Evans losing time tomorrow and Rogers/Porte soft pedalling today has done nothing to conceal the reason why.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
roundabout said:
Evans actually looked pretty good today. No way he will lose 2 minutes to Froome and 3 minutes to Wiggins.

That would be disastrous; to lose 1 minute to Wiggins would be terrible as well though as I dont see him taking over 2 and a half minutes out of Wiggins in the mountains. And it is very possible he will lose around 1 minute to Wiggins.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Marcus135 said:
Why? The amount he has done for cycling coverage in Australia is incredible, he may not have the best knowledge of the sport or provide insightful comments but without his work you would see no coverage of any race except for the tour de france. The increasing coverage of the classics and other GTs is all his work. He in that respect is fantastic.
I should add a disclaimer that I am a Brit living in Australia but even so, as someone already said, he asks God awful questions. And while I expect there to be an Australian bias he verges on the sycophantic. I quite like most of the other guys. Of course, there is also the Tan Man...

movingtarget said:
I wouldn't be reading too much into 1km of a three week race but Evans can't afford to lose much time tomorrow. They both look good but as most people said before the race started, the TTs will probably decide it unless someone does something unexpected. VDB and Nibali are trying hard. Menchov's ride tomorrow will be the interesting one in relation to Wiggins and Evans.

he's clawing his way up into the GC- steadily & silently. We might see at the end of the day what in my view will be the final Podium with Wiggo & Evans along the Pope....

Froome19 said:
That would be disastrous; to lose 1 minute to Wiggins would be terrible as well though as I dont see him taking over 2 and a half minutes out of Wiggins in the mountains. And it is very possible he will lose around 1 minute to Wiggins.

I agree, it's very possible that he will lose about a minute, probably a bit less than that. But that's how things seem to be in the TT between them now.

How much time do you think Evans can take in the mountains?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesink says on dutch tv he didn't feel good (duh), and said that he concludes he is a rider who doesn't recover/deal well with injuries.

So what's his plan? Stay in the TdF try to win a stage or go home?

Always warms the cockles of my heart to see a young Frenchman on a French team doing alright for themselves.

A good combined effort by Liquigas, BMC & Lotto to combine forces against Sky and use their different strengths on different parts of the route. If they keep up that level of anti-Sky cooperation for the rest of the tour they have a chance.

Not impressed by Evan's attack at the end though. A waste of energy and not the sign of a man confident that he has nothing to worry about in the ITTs.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
There's still the possibility of Sky having a moment of truth later in the Tour, where Wiggins starts losing contact on a mountain and they have to decide whether to have Froome stay with the leading group or drop back to help Bradley. Could be a tough decision if, say, Wiggins leads Cadel by more than a minute on GC and Froome is maybe a minute behind Cadel. If Sky decides wrong it could hand Cadel the Tour.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Seems he will stay. So probably ride fairly anonymously, suck in every stage, and finish 98th at 2 hours

Nice. That's a waste of time.

On the other hand, maybe he should wait until the rest day and see how he feels in the first mountain stage. If he recovers, he could try to win a stage the first or second day after the rest day (esp. second maybe). If that doesn't pan out and you can't get enough polka points, go home. No need to wait for the Peyragudes.

Contractual obligations.... Gesink in TdF is always good for publicity... :confused:

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Seems he will stay. So probably ride fairly anonymously, suck in every stage, and finish 98th at 2 hours

In the nicest possible way, I wish he's just listen to his own advice, **** off and train for the Vuelta! This isn't good for him or his team. Mind you, Mollema and Kruijswijk didn't look good today.

Do you think one of them will go to the Vuelta with Gesink?

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree that SBS's coverage of cycling this season has been fab. If that means a little of Mikie Tomalaris hosting with some inane (albeit enthusastic) questions and naturally evanscentric comments then thats a small price to pay imo. The onus surely is on his 'expert' sidekicks (Tan man excepting) to speak up and drive the discussions not just meekly answer questions. If I could change anything it would be the frequency of the ad breaks - although they aren't too bad in the last 20kms. When you consider that many others posting on here from the US/Asia/Europe etc have to rely on subscription TV or net feeds to get the action we are really fortunate in Oz to have live free to air coverage.

For what its worth I think Cuddles looks to be building some form but I'm not sure he's got enough kick in those legs to drop Wiggins except on a wet descent. So I think he needs to keep the gap after the TT under 30 seconds - ie only lose 0.5seconds a km. Thats a very big ask IMO. Wiggins looked very solid 'TT' back to Evans in the last km. Still plenty of racing left..

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesink says on dutch tv he didn't feel good (duh), and said that he concludes he is a rider who doesn't recover/deal well with injuries.
Fine. But hat about this comment he made previous to the TdF?

“I don't want to get into a situation like this again – that you are only fighting against yourself. The next time in a similar situation I will say: goodbye, and you will see me again in the Vuelta.”

roundabout said:
I agree, it's very possible that he will lose about a minute, probably a bit less than that. But that's how things seem to be in the TT between them now.
I wouldn't be surprised if Evans takes time on Wiggins tomorrow.

Fergoose said:
Not impressed by Evan's attack at the end though. A waste of energy and not the sign of a man confident that he has nothing to worry about in the ITTs.
It's quite the opposite, he's showing the contenders who's the boss. See above.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
roundabout said:

How much time do you think Evans can take in the mountains?
It is hard to say, but going on yesterday's perfomance I cant see dropping Wiggins or even Froome, probably I would see him taking as much as 10 seconds on as much as each of the 4 mountain stages, but that is the maximum and of course that wont be enough.

Of course things can change but for now it is hard to see where Cadel will ge the time he so desperately requires.
Epicycle said:
There's still the possibility of Sky having a moment of truth later in the Tour, where Wiggins starts losing contact on a mountain and they have to decide whether to have Froome stay with the leading group or drop back to help Bradley. Could be a tough decision if, say, Wiggins leads Cadel by more than a minute on GC and Froome is maybe a minute behind Cadel. If Sky decides wrong it could hand Cadel the Tour.
The problem with that is that currently they are the two strongest + Evans in the peloton so Froome could be stronger than Wiggins and yet Wiggins would never be shown up and the leadership would not be stripped.
Logic-is-your-friend said:
Does it make sense to softpedal the remaining TDF for Gesink/Kruijswijck/Mollema as a prep for the Vuelta?
I wouldnt think so

TRENDING THREADS