• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour of California May 15 stage 3: San Jose - Livermore 185.5 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Watched the disappointing final 25kms this morning.
Nice "deal" Nicholas "Levi" Roche made with Fabio Duarte.
"You do all the work on the uphill into the headwind and I'll do a bit on the downhill, then sit up at the first opportunity!"
Not much ambition on not much of a climb and the regulation Sagan sprint finish.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, other teams are making it easy on Sagan. Quick-Step did a lot of work and in the end they didn't have a decent lead-out for Boonen. Liquigas should do all the work tomorrow, so the other teams can save their strengths for when it matters.

Don Johnson said:
Honer is just playing the audience, and it is quite entertaining. Levi whining in the press conference and Horner, bagging Levi on another website chapaue Horner, great rider, entertainer, and intelligent guy.

When Levi's asked about being a GC contender, it's a very legitimate point to say that he broke his freaking leg 6 weeks ago. He's a long shot. That's not "whining". It's reality.

I guess I'm not amused by the trash talk over someone's injury recovery or the public trash talk in general. We have the NBA and boxing here in America for that crap. It's beneath Horner. Many cyclists show far more respect for their competitors.

Don Johnson

BANNED
May 3, 2012
Visit site
patrick767 said:
When Levi's asked about being a GC contender, it's a very legitimate point to say that he broke his freaking leg 6 weeks ago. He's a long shot. That's not "whining". It's reality.

I guess I'm not amused by the trash talk over someone's injury recovery or the public trash talk in general. We have the NBA and boxing here in America for that crap. It's beneath Horner. Many cyclists show far more respect for their competitors.

It is all showmanship with Horner. Remember Levis' bitter disappointment at the ToC last year.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
karlboss said:
Not sure where you get your numbers from but from the Strava map.

From 40.37km until 50.08km, roughly constant from 934 to 1137. about 2%
then a decent, I think we can disregard this
from 52.08 to 57.24, constant from 1083 to 1233, roughly 4%
no decent
then 57.24 to 62.95 constant from 1233 to 1585, about 7%
total 10.87km at 4.6%
small flat 500m or so
then 63.56 to 69.95 from 1585 to 1884 about 5%
then a decent and the top is 2.9km at 7%.

My thoughts, if it were the final climb of the day it would be telling, but as it is fairly shallow, and a long way from the finish, we can reasonably expect a tempo ride, hopefully a duarte break and nothing telling about Sagan's climbing.

We know from experience the final climb is nothing for Sagan.

Yep, mistook the miles for ks, no strava, but I still show 6.5% from my marks. (hard to find a grade here that's above 7%) Still attackable, much better approach than the last time which saw Sagan take it. I guess the question would be how much of advantage he will have going into it, there may be no choice but to attack I would think. Much depends on the ITT. Sagan is super strong, but at TA I thought his position bad. You can get away with that over a short TT or prologue, but not so much a 30Ks. Still, his form is great.

TRENDING THREADS