• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour of Utah, Stage 5, Park Center to Snowbird, 162.8 Km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
They just had some unintentional broadcast on the live feed - the crash that took out that guy in the break of 10 - apparently his back wheel slid out on a patch of paint. Ouch.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
never-nude said:
where did VdV come from?! Last i heard he was done for, then he pops up in 9th? And what happened to Tommy D? Why was everything so confusing?
Yeah, they didn't do a very good job of keeping up what was going on in the peloton. A downright lousy job, actually. They showed Danielson and Zabriskie movin' on when VdV dropped - but a couple minutes later the tour tracker showed that group back together. No telling what really happened.

hiero2 said:
What was Garmin doing today? What they could. If the unofficial results are correct - they may be doing better than it seemed for a bit - keeping men in 2-3-4. That leaves tomorrow.

Link to the results please?

I find it hard to believe that they would still be 2-3-4, but perhaps they finished close enough to the first chasing group? They had a minute+ on 3 of them. And 2+ on Levi.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
No results yet - just going off the "unofficial" from the Tour-tracker text feed. That put VdV unofficially still in 2nd, and from watching the tour tracker, Danielson and Z should have finished close enough to VdV to hold their spots.

UNOFFICIAL!!! More like guesswork, but what ya gonna do? They still haven't posted the results.

Results:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-of-utah-2012/stage-5/results

General classification after stage 5
Result
1 Johann Tschopp (Sui) Bmc Racing Team 18:18:49
2 Christian Vande Velde (Usa) Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda 0:00:38
3 Matthew Busche (Usa) Radioshack-Nissan-Trek 0:00:43
4 Leopold Koenig (Cze) Team Netapp 0:00:53
5 Joseph Dombrowski (Usa) Bontrager Livestrong Team 0:00:58
6 Ian Boswell (Usa) Bontrager Livestrong Team 0:01:03
7 Christopher Horner (Usa) Radioshack-Nissan-Trek 0:01:19
8 Lucas Euser (Usa) Team Spidertech P/B C10 0:01:21
9 Peter Stetina (Usa) Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda 0:01:22
10 Mathias Frank (Sui) Bmc Racing Team 0:01:24

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Good victory by Tschopp. It is a shame that he may be moving from BMC next year. I personally think the team has supported him very well that I don't understand why he would want to leave.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
hiero2 said:
Yeah, they didn't do a very good job of keeping up what was going on in the peloton. A downright lousy job, actually. They showed Danielson and Zabriskie movin' on when VdV dropped - but a couple minutes later the tour tracker showed that group back together. No telling what really happened.

well they sure put on a great race. Lucky enuff to have been up on the slopes of the final climb today and it was awesome.
Prob difficult as riders all over the place. The race was blown apart pretty good. A lot of fun loads of fans and great roads/mountains. Really..

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
Tracker? Wouldn't put too much stock in it.
Well, truth, that is.

So between the tracker and my guesswork we were off - quite a bit. Somehow VdV managed to rally and come back strong enough to keep #2. Stetina hung on for #9 on GC, and Danielson is now at 11. The times are still pretty close, though.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
dolophonic said:
well they sure put on a great race. Lucky enuff to have been up on the slopes of the final climb today and it was awesome.
Prob difficult as riders all over the place. The race was blown apart pretty good. A lot of fun loads of fans and great roads/mountains. Really..
Yes, they did put on a great race! Glad for ya, you getting to be there in person and all!

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I miss a good one. No way out of it today. I had Tschopp in mind with about ten others today. Tomorrow never knows, but I think Tschopp will hang on for it.

Horner was not BSing when he said he was tired, but I not surprised that Busche stepped up. He won a stage he in 2009 if I not mistaken and was seventh on GC, but he will have to stay with Dombrowski and Boswell and any other threats to stay on the podium. A good or bad descent off the final climb will make or break it. Koenig the king for the day or king for a year?

Leipheimer must be PO'd at his team.

Columbians? Missing in action. Tommy D. still trying to come up from being hammered in the TdF. Garmin, VdV and Radio Shack with Leipheimer will have to go on the attack if possible before the final climb.

Rabo???

The Tour Tracker never has final results beyond the top five. Link to the race site at my first post for each stage. They've been very slow however.

And the finish camera work has not been the best.

I will be back tomorrow.:D

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
argyllflyer said:
And Duggan is a threat too, though he's a bit further back. totally bizarre

I was about 3 miles down from Snowbird when I saw Duggan attack from the group, with only Tschopp & Dombroski [edit: and Boswell] up the road. How did he end up 5 min down at the end? :confused:

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Geraint Too Fast said:
I just spat my coffee out at some of those pronunciations. :D

Yes, I was also able re-verify with his family that it's pronounced Dug-gan, not Doogan. They were cheering in the same spot as last year.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Coverage is Amateurish

Some thoughts for all of the followers. The Tracker is a great alternative to zero TV or live update coverage. That being said, how come the management of UTAH allow amateur camera work and commentators? We're already disappointed with having to watch the last corner of the final sprint while the boys are hell bent on the finish line. Can those moto cameras pan when the break is only seconds ahead of the chasers for perspective? Is it so hard for the helicopter to show the peloton a minute back from their angle? Why bother being in the sky?

Frankie and his hyperactive sidekick need to tone it down. Are they being paid by the word? It's a given that it's boring in the early part of a long stage. But when the action kicks in, they don't really need to shout out that this is SERIOUS, SERIOUS, SERIOUS! All goes to show the lack of depth in cycling broadcasting. You get what you pay for.

Back to the action. Wow! Utah is definitely the toughest stage race in America. No fluff riding across the Golden Gate Bridge. The opportunity for separation from the get go makes this a worthy Tour. We spectators on the Tracker can clearly follow the action without the distraction of the talking heads. It's apparent that the commentators do not have spotters to point out the action, so they're clueless compared to some of our more seasoned viewers. Having to listen to their biased opinions of who is who makes it annoying. We don't know who you are and don't care what you think. Be objective and call out the action as it occurs.

They also need to make up their mind to pronounce Dug-gan or Doogan. Apparently Phil brainwashed them and they can't think for themselves.

auscyclefan94 said:
Good victory by Tschopp. It is a shame that he may be moving from BMC next year. I personally think the team has supported him very well that I don't understand why he would want to leave.

I saw on the Transfer thread, it has already been announced that Tschopp is leaving. He should have missed the Giro and ridden the Tour. Not sure what BMC was thinking but I hope he hangs on and gets the win. BMC are overdue for another win as well. Would be nice to see some coverage of the Tour of Utah. Sounds like a better event than the Colorado Tour.

Well I watched the race off and on via the Tracker site, and quite enjoyed that, despite the commentary, which suffers mainly from a lack of up to date race info I guess, it sure was better than SFA.
I was impressed with SpiderTechs Caleb Fairly, came off good and proper but got back up and finished with the bunch, respect and chapeau !

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
I saw on the Transfer thread, it has already been announced that Tschopp is leaving. He should have missed the Giro and ridden the Tour. Not sure what BMC was thinking but I hope he hangs on and gets the win. BMC are overdue for another win as well. Would be nice to see some coverage of the Tour of Utah. Sounds like a better event than the Colorado Tour.

It is a real shame but I think Tschopp was more than happy to do the Giro. He was given a leadership role and the team supported him well to get a top 10 finish. Based on how he rode in the Giro 2010, he was good enough this year to do a top 10 which was his goal but he became ill in the final week. BMC have supported him well but maybe he needs a change at the new IAM squad.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:

adam blythe recently won a stage in the prestigious paris-corezze;)

awesome win by tschopp, he really dominated the competition. I hope he wins the overall too with another strong ride.

TRENDING THREADS