• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 USA Pro Cycling Challenge, Stage 6; Golden to Boulder,165.5 km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
benpounder said:
Just down the road is CU, regularly voted one of the top party school of the states.

I attended college in Golden (the start of today's stage), and I can attest that there are many stupid people in Boulder. Please note, Boulder is a very nice city, with many wonderful people and a beautiful setting. Due to it's political environment in part foisted by CU, it attracts loads of affluent, irresponsible, and yes, narcissist young punks. IMO...

I'm hoping my son goes to golden...;)..it's a great and serious school.

I live in boulder and I agree...idiots, young wealthy kids with no manners , and partying boors abound.

That said, the warmth and reception I felt in the air today was electric! People who know nothing about cycling were loving the race and cheering!,

I had no desire to join the mayhem on flagstaff but opted for my north boulder espresso joint patio...two outside tv's, one inside, and cheering fans!
I walked down the street to the corner of Lee Hill to watch them come into town!

The race car parked at the corner and described the race situation over the loudspeakers and how many would be in the first group, and next, so the crowd knew what was coming. Nice touch!

It was amazing when we saw the lead group turn the corner and roar down Broadway !, I couldn't stop yelling. Then I went back to the tv and just when Jens hit the uphill hard in the lead there were the folks with the SHUT UP LEGS signs...the entire city roared!

What a stage...!!
Happy for Rorys win and everyone else. It was a ****-kick stage...amazing!

Chapeau to all the riders.:):D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
I'm hoping my son goes to golden...;)..it's a great and serious school.
It is, and the male:female ration is getting much better.:D

It was amazing when we saw the lead group turn the corner and roar down Broadway !, I couldn't stop yelling. Then I went back to the tv and just when Jens hit the uphill hard in the lead there were the folks with the SHUT UP LEGS signs...the entire city roared!

What a stage...!!
Happy for Rorys win and everyone else. It was a ****-kick stage...amazing!
Last year I was along side the road in both stages in and out of Steamboat, and at the start this year in Breckenridge. You are right, generally, the crowds are amazingly large and well behaved. It is the boneheads that feel compelled to run along, or stand in the middle of the road for a picture that irritate me. It is not exclusive to the states either - I've seen similar things on the road to l'Alpe D'Huez.

If you must, take a lesson from Dider and the antler guy - do it where there is plenty of room and relatively few spectators,

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
benpounder said:
If you must, take a lesson from Dider and the antler guy - do it where there is plenty of room and relatively few spectators,

Yeah, there definitely needs to be some sort of education effort and if that doesn't work, control on anyone who hinders or endangers racers. While dressing up and running isn't my thing, those who want to need to at least know where and how to do it without being a hindrance.

All that said, did anyone get slowed or knocked off their bike?

Great crowds though, it shows the US can support elite level pro racing.

9000ft said:
Yeah, there definitely needs to be some sort of education effort and if that doesn't work, control on anyone who hinders or endangers racers. While dressing up and running isn't my thing, those who want to need to at least know where and how to do it without being a hindrance.

All that said, did anyone get slowed or knocked off their bike?

Great crowds though, it shows the US can support elite level pro racing.

I think a spectator got run over by a moto...:p

TRENDING THREADS