• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Vuelta a España: Stage 3: Faustino V → Eibar (Arrate) (155,3km)

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Yes I know, but this is a different time, different place, different circumstances.

He hadn't been on a break for 6 months then.

True but he didn't train for a few weeks then. And btw did you remember how bad he was in the TTT and the first stage?

But the next week he could already follow Ricco.

And I prefer the Contador of 29 then the one of 25.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
Exactly LaFlo....he didn't 'carry on' after his attacks as is normal for him.

This wasn't a big mountain stage, I think this stage was always going to end in a sprint from a select group. I think we'll see much more stamina from Contador when we get into the big mountain stages.

This stage today proves why time bonuses should be in the tour- no time bonuses cause negativity + prudhomme should be sacked for consistently rubbish routes, I can't believe people are
Moaning about the vuelta route as these summit finishes will guarantee action on most of them

No_Balls said:
For starters, you could always believe. But you have already settled into the he-will-lose mode and that is what i find disturbing. Let us be realistic when the fat lady sings and not now when he is well within shot for the overall. It is not like the competitors were that sparkling either.

Okay that is how you handle this, I handle it differently. I will believe it when I see it.

I dont say he will win by 10 minutes but what makes you think he cant win? Is it because of those 6-7 furious (although short) attacks that went the other guys reeling, flummoxed Froome and made this stage to what it was? Yes, he clearly looks out of contention to me :rolleyes:

You seriously don't understand my point do you? He did not look good.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Carols said:
But they couldn't counter attack either :) And Alberto has never had the sprint of those 2 and never will.

Yes I'm concerned about his obvious lack of stamina after his attacks; either it will come or it won't in this race. Either way it will be fun to watch because he will attack until they break or he breaks himself. I think they will break first :)

The thing is we don't what Contador was after here. Was he just testing himself? Did he want to see just how strong Sky was? Was he testing Froome to see how he recovered after the accelerations (he often dropped behing after an attack and seemed to be gauging Froome)? We really don't know.

I think he knew today's climb wasn't a place to make big time. But he certainly gave notice that he's here to race.

happytramp said:
Thought the stage was quite good (for an early tour stage) It didn't compare to the epic Rabbotini Giro stage win for pure cycling glory though.

Tappa 15, I've watched it multiple times...epic Rabbotini ride...I actually had tears in my eyes as it unfolded. Still choke up every time I watch it even though I know what happens LOL!

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
I think they expected him to win the Vuelta today.

Yes, totally ridiculous. This is not a one day race and this is someone just back from 6 month layoff. Questions such as, can I hold on to a lead for the next few weeks? how are the legs of my rivals? I liked what I saw today, reminded me of Giro 2011 when he held back on stage 7 and everyone started doubting and then he flew away. He has to test himself and build up gradually. Each time he sped away today I was concerned, because it really was pointless at so early in the game. But it was a good feeler for himself.

Publicus said:
They actually did try. A few times. It didn't work. Saxo swamped them a couple of times and even Quick Step. Porte and Uran came back a couple of times to set pace, but then Alberto would just go again and that would be that.

It's just qualitatively different than the Tour.

At the Tour, everyman left was in a row at the front leading in to each climb.

Today, it was 3 Roleurs and Froome. The other climbers floated about (Henao started the climb well back and moved forward) and occasionally set a light tempo for 20 second sections.

If you think this is the same tactic as the Tour, you weren't watching very hard in July.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Rasmussen 2007?

Todays stage was like a shorter version of Plateau de Beille. When i see Froome all i think of is: Rasmussen.

LaFlorecita said:
You seriously don't understand my point do you? He did not look good.

And neither did he when he lost an uphill sprint against Scarponi (everybody thought he was out of form) in the first week of Giro d´Italia 2011. And in the first week of Giro 2008. And yes, they are all comparable, given on what impression he did back then and how he looked today.

richwagmn said:
The thing is we don't what Contador was after here. Was he just testing himself? Did he want to see just how strong Sky was? Was he testing Froome to see how he recovered after the accelerations (he often dropped behing after an attack and seemed to be gauging Froome)? We really don't know.

I think he knew today's climb wasn't a place to make big time. But he certainly gave notice that he's here to race.

No we don't know his plans/thoughts other than to see who was strong and who wasn't.

I did notice him going back to Froome and taking a look :)

I have it recorded will watch again after CO race is done.

No_Balls said:
And neither did he when he lost an uphill sprint against Scarponi (everybody thought he was out of form) in the first week of Giro d´Italia 2011. And in the first week of Giro 2008. And yes, they are all comparable, given on what impression he did back then and how he looked today.

I already pointed this out in another post I assume you haven't seen. Let's hope the stage to Andorra becomes the equivalent of Etna.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
richwagmn said:

I was thinking the same, he was studying Froome, always looking at him. But at same time he lacks some endurance in his attacks.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I disagree though, Froome did not look good and Alberto will get better.

So you think AC will get better then why were you complaining?

Or wasn't that your conclusion but the things you disagreed with?

Confusing:confused: