• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Vuelta a España: Stage 3: Faustino V → Eibar (Arrate) (155,3km)

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
3wheeler said:
If thats all Contador has got as a Game plan i think froome will be Ok with that .
A longer climb will suit froomy better anyway.

Thats what Contador has with hardly no racing miles. When they couldnt drop him today they will have a very hard time following him in the 3rd week.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is complaining about Contador form or whatever...I get it.He didnt look good - I get it.But you have to consider the conteders.Froomey,Purito and Pity are good followers,its harder to drop these guys and thats why this could be Epic Vuelta.We'll see tomorrow who was above red.

..and Alberto loves attacking,did you see his teeth-face :D,awesome

I enjoyed the stage, but agree with who says it was nothing epic, or even close to the better races we've seen this year.

Contador is exactly where I thought he would be at this point of the race. I got no idea wether he can peak at the right time or not, but evidence from the past suggest he will.

Froome must fade. Really.

Piti suprised me big time, but I'm still tepid about his chances over the three weeks.

Purito is truly having an amazing season. He's always contending when expected to do so. I can see him on the podium on this parcours.

As for the others: Rabo guys looked ok (was hoping for something more from TGBM though) and could aim to the podium. Winner Anacona is an epic name and everybody should cheer for this guy. Capecchi was very good. Benat was awesome as he always is.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
argyllflyer said:
Gist of Froome's quotes after to ITV4 was along lines of "I didn't see the point of wasting energy today as there are harder days to come and had no intention of sprinting after the others"

Valaverde and Rodriguez should have sat up and made Froome chase on a few of the attacks, then jumped when the leaders were back together.

The harder days are going to go the same way. Froome will not be able to ride Alberto off his wheel and the multiple attacks are coming for sure. I think AC should sit on and make Froome chase and then CF will see if it is possible to go when AC counterattacks.

If things keep going as they have so far, this is going to be a fantastic Vuelta.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
The more I see it, the more I like it. :)

PS: Alberto looked better than expected, that's bad news. Don't take Florecita's bait and her pity posts, she has masterplan. ;)

She is just afrad to get disappointed so she tries to lower her expectations ;)

I agree, Contador was better than expected. I had expected his rivals to try to drop him here in the easrly part of the race where he hasnt peaked, yet it was he who attacked. Also SBTB seem stronger that I had feared.

Oh and Valverde was ALOT better than I had expected. But lets see on the longer climbs.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Cimber said:
She is just afrad to get disappointed so she tries to lower her expectations ;)

I agree, Contador was better than expected. I had expected his rivals to try to drop him here in the easrly part of the race where he hasnt peaked, yet it was he who attacked. Also SBTB seem stronger that I had feared

Don't forget Roche was there too, leading for Contador at the end :p

Anyway Contador showed yet again he's a great champion, he could have waited this week and pretend to be bad but that's just not how he works.

I love that :D

ferryman said:
I think the Spanish boys had a little bit of fun with Sky/Froome today:D

Everybody knows it will come a time, and a certain point in the race, in which, if needed, the spaniards will drive for the best spaniard overall regardless of team. AC is excellent at calling in such favours. That is a game plan 3wheeler dont wanna know about. Mende 1995 anybody?

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
Not really. Piti had one attack, which was brought back in seconds. Bertie had a few goes, which never threatened to last any longer and he managed to lose time to Froome. Where's the fun in that?

Seriously?

You would rather just watch them Pace up the Hill behind Pate, or Navarro?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
It was really nice to a see repeated attacks, been a bit of a slow year, but this was nothing more than a few early round jabs. Some reconnaissance to see who feels like a rocket, who feels like a diesel and who has not found their legs yet.
I didn't see anything more today, you need to have some information to go on before you go and fire the main charge, misfire and you might crack and get left down the mountain.

ratty

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
After finally watching the stage I'm more convinced then ever Froome will win this Vuelta.

Contador's belly is full of anger and he gave it everything he had today and achieved.... not a lot. Clearly he is not in his best shape and is certainly beatable. I was unsure whether he would come back with unbeatable form like in 2009 Tour/2011 Giro but luckily for the betterment of the race he significantly below that.

Froome says he was in control and I believe him. He spins such a tiny gear that he has no punch. Compared to Wiggins he has yes, but compared to classics guys like Piti and Jrod no, not at all. If he was really on the limit no way would he have been able to keep closing the gap down in a matter of seconds every time. Froome should defend then crush them in the TT.

Pleased to see Valverde looking is super shape, a second place on GC behind Froome would be sweet. With JRod too this is going to be a great race!

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The Cobra said:
After finally watching the stage I'm more convinced then ever Froome will win this Vuelta.

Contador's belly is full of anger and he gave it everything he had today and achieved.... not a lot.

1) Contador has far from peaked yet - just w8 for the 3rd week
2) But he still did gap Froome who struggled to get back and this was just an appatizer for the real mountains later on (not the one 2moz)

I would have expected Froome to try to gap Contodor without racing miles. Was surprised to see Froome struggle and not having any energy to attack himself

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The Cobra said:
Who finished ahead of who today again??? :eek:

WHo was gapped and who wasnt ? WHo had the legs to attack and who hadnt? Who is in top shape and who hasnt peaked yet? Who might fatigue later in the race and who will keep improving? :eek:

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Cimber said:
1) Contador has far from peaked yet - just w8 for the 3rd week
2) But he still did gap Froome who struggled to get back and this was just an appatizer for the real mountains later on (not the one 2moz)

I dont think Froome was struggling. He always looks like that when climbing, he's not graceful like Contador. Also as I say, he has no punch so no surprise he got gapped, but bridged that gap quickly every time.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Cimber said:
WHo was gapped and who wasnt ? WHo had the legs to attack and who hadnt? Who is in top shape and who hasnt peaked yet? Who might fatigue later in the race and who will keep improving? :eek:

Who knows a GT is 3 weeks long and wasting huge amounts of energy is not the best idea. It should have been obvious he wasn't getting away and saved energy. Not as entertaining for us if he did that, but smarter tactically.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The Cobra said:
I dont think Froome was struggling. He always looks like that when climbing, he's not graceful like Contador. Also as I say, he has no punch so no surprise he got gapped, but bridged that gap quickly every time.

When he is on top he is the one who likes to attack, not the one being gapped having to fight back. And this first week is where he needs to shine and put some time into Contador. He cant rely on the TT. To many crazy hard MTF in the last week. I had expected Froome to put pressure in Contador today tbh, not the other way around

TRENDING THREADS