2012 Vuelta a España: Stage 4:Barakaldo-Estación de Valdezcaray 160.6 Km

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
6,158
1
0
Netserk said:
This can _only_ be compared to 'Chaingate' IF Movistar was working hard at the front (attacking in the wind), and Piti then crashed.
The key ingredient is none other than Andy, nothing else can be compared to chaingate, unless Andy is there :D
 
Libertine Seguros said:
Your first paragraph I agree with.

I think there's more than the bad press in Spain that will result though. Riders like Hansen and Terpstra have commented on it, and it sounds like they annoyed more than just Movistar. Whether or not they were actually to blame, they're the ones being held responsible, so they may find few allies later in the race.
Capecchi talked about respecting unwritten rules too, and Liquigas was probably pretty fed up with Sky at the Tour already (as Basso, Nibali and Szmyd's comments suggested).
 
cineteq said:
Link or tweet please?
Damn, I don't remember where I saw it, and I can't find it. I'm pretty sure I didn't dream it up, but I can't confirm it either...

edit: nevermind, I found it:
http://blog.festina.com/2012/08/y-en-valdezcaray-nos-preguntamos-rivales-o-enemigos/
El Fair Play, aquellas “reglas que no están escritas pero que todos deberíamos respetar”, como decía Eros Capecchi a su llegada a meta, brillaba por su ausencia.
'Fair Play, those "rules which aren't written anywhere but which we all should respect", as Eros Capecchi put it when he crossed the finish line, was nowhere to be seen.'
 
Libertine Seguros said:
Your first paragraph I agree with.

I think there's more than the bad press in Spain that will result though. Riders like Hansen and Terpstra have commented on it, and it sounds like they annoyed more than just Movistar. Whether or not they were actually to blame, they're the ones being held responsible, so they may find few allies later in the race.


I was going to allude to that in my original post but decided not to after your Millar post the other night;)


Because 27 years on I've still not got over it!!
 
ferryman said:
[/B]

I was going to allude to that in my original post but decided not to after your Millar post the other night;)


Because 27 years on I've still not got over it!!
Ah, but there's a difference between being seemingly screwed over because the organisers wanted a home win, and being screwed over because you p*ssed the péloton off.
 
Apr 20, 2012
6,321
0
0
roundabout said:
Did Capecchi fall as well?
There were about 5 green riders around a certain Red jersey so it would be fair to say Capecchi was in the neighbourhood of Valverde.

Didn't you see Liquigas pumping the echolon?
 
Libertine Seguros said:
Ah, but there's a difference between being seemingly screwed over because the organisers wanted a home win, and being screwed over because you p*ssed the péloton off.
Aye. It was a long time a go but I seem to remember it was both. Certainly the latter. Anyway, the past is that.

So it is a Vamos Alberto from me and bonsoir:)
 
Libertine Seguros said:
Ah, but there's a difference between being seemingly screwed over because the organisers wanted a home win, and being screwed over because you p*ssed the péloton off.
Seemingly , Robert Millar was robbed of the win when all the Spanish riders worked together if I remember rightly he had just rejoin the main bunch after a puncture while in the leaders jersey and no one not a single rider or the race officials told him that there was riders ahead of him that could win The race untill it was to late . As another poster said even after all these years I will allways remember what those Spanish riders did.
 
May 2, 2010
466
0
0
Captain Sensible said:
Seemingly , Robert Millar was robbed of the win when all the Spanish riders worked together if I remember rightly he had just rejoin the main bunch after a puncture while in the leaders jersey and no one not a single rider or the race officials told him that there was riders ahead of him that could win The race untill it was to late . As another poster said even after all these years I will allways remember what those Spanish riders did.
SEEMINGLY ROBBED??? You must be joking, dude. I remember that stage cause I SAW IT back in '85 (you probably hadn't been born yet). It was the 2nd time the Spanish TV broadcast the Vuelta live and I was riveted to the sofa for the whole race. That day they rode around the mountains in Madrid the last but one stage, under horrible weather conditions (snow, rain, wind). Millar lead the GC with more than 6 min over Delgado, who attacked on the Puerto de Cotos and caught Pepe Recio (riding for Kelme) and both took turns until the finish line. Back in the peloton, no one seemed very interested in closing the gap, not even Millar, more intent on marking Cabestany or Pacho Rodríguez, closer to him in the GC. When he realised that Delgado was getting away it was too late and Millar's team (Peugeot I think) failed miserably !!! Eventually Delgado finished around 7' before Millar, who lost the Vuelta. Of course he knew what was going on !! I remember his desperate look, almost begging anyone around for help to no avail.

So either you don't know what you're talking about, which is embarrasing, or you're intentionally "embellishing" your comment so that Spanish riders look like Froome & Co. on the 4th stage of Vuelta '12, that is, like a piece of s*it.

Anyway, for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye9Ny2JBz1U

Draw your own conclusions. Buenas noches.
 
webvan said:
Thanks, Menchov is really useless these days...how could he have lost his talent that quickly?

Yes the video adds nothing, Flecha is the one who launches the echelon so he certainly couldn't have made anyone fall directly. He does turn around but did he see anyone fall, who can say for sure? Everyone should just man up and race like pros not like little girls. Again, what good did it do to Ullrich to wait for Armstrong? He got accused of NOT waiting. Oh and was Unzue so vocal during the Chaingate, certainly not and that was far worse than what happened today.
Chaingate=The so called story that saw Andy for a second losing his shift-gear-thing. So embarrasing it was that his fanboys (and they are plenty) created this flaw to Alberto as the main villain. I think we all can agree the difference between this and what happened yesterday.

Oh, and LA changed his version on Ullrich later. In a book.
 
May 2, 2010
466
0
0
hrotha said:
I find this to be a pretty fair and balanced assessment of what happened that day:
http://www.podiumcafe.com/2011/5/11/2162334/VueltaAEspana1985

It doesn't say anything about the alleged lack of info regarding time gaps though.
Thanks very much for the link, hrotha. That's a quite accurate account that also dismisses the Spanish Conspiracy Theory. This really makes good reading for you, Captain Sensible ;) And the sources aren't particularly suspicious of being anti- British :D
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
Great win by Clarke. He is a talented rider so it is surprising that it took so long to get this win. Hopefully a sign of things to come.
 
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
There were about 5 green riders around a certain Red jersey so it would be fair to say Capecchi was in the neighbourhood of Valverde.

Didn't you see Liquigas pumping the echolon?
I feel I can be forgiven for possibly not being able to spot Capecchi from the satellite, err, helicopter coverage of the fall.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY