• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Australian National Championships: Men's Road Race, 195.6km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Who says Hayman and Porte are as strong as they were last year?

http://roadnationals.org.au/results/elite-mens-road-race/

34. 5 Richard PORTE (TAS) 5h02:52
35. 30 Nathan HAAS (ACT) 5h03:44 +2:58

dnf 21 Jack BOBRIDGE (SA)
dnf 23 Jonathan CANTWELL (QLD)
dnf 25 Rohan DENNIS (SA)
dnf 29 Mark RENSHAW (NSW)
dnf 166 Lachlan MORTON (NSW)

I was probably a bit harsh on them seeing that, but even so, the organisation and the tactics were questionable.

Amusing to read that MTB rider Neil van der Ploeg beat Chris Sutton in the sprint.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
It is suppose to be an individual race (even though it really isn't) so they could not cap the GE's entries.

I am writing a letter to Cadel to tell him to get his **** in Bunninyong in 2014!:D

Technically supposed to be an individual race but the officials turn a blind eye to every bit of team racing that goes on. They need to do something.

They also need to stop the favourable treatment of GE riders using radios in the TT.

auscyclefan94 said:
I disagree. They got it organised in the final 1.5 laps, which shows they were able to do so. Not a good excuse. Attacking off the front was clearly not going to work and that was obvious from the start. They had to chase and then wait for the final lap to attack. When Garmin & Sky finished with all of their riders in the final group, it shows that there really wasn't a committed chase at all. They could have brought it all back.
Why would Garmin have to chase? Are these domestic teams completely useless?

I think Garmin have done pretty well, with just 4 Aussies. A podium in the TT, and a podium in the road race. They have 4 Dutchies as well, but they've never gotten any sort of result in the Dutch nationals, I don't think.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Why would Garmin have to chase? Are these domestic teams completely useless?
the bigger domestic teams, genesys and drapac and for some time also budget were represented in the break for most of the day. the other teams are mostly made up of riders who aren't at the same level (no offense).

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
delbified said:
the bigger domestic teams, genesys and drapac and for some time also budget were represented in the break for most of the day. the other teams are mostly made up of riders who aren't at the same level (no offense).

Yeah. Genesys, Drapac, and Budget Forklifts are the strongest domestic teams by some margin, and I don't think that Budget Forklifts have the same strength in depth as the first two.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Stop teams racing and working together in a national champs? No way. You'd never be able to police it properly.

Durbridge had it won within the first k when they attacked and got away. Big call by GE to realise he'd be the best but it was the right one.

It just wasn't an exciting race. When Bobridge won from the break there was no GE and you didn't know if he was going to hold out. He was up against a charging peloton for about 5 laps out. Yesterday the rest of them only got their act 3 laps from the finish and Durbo still had a comfortable lead.

Congrats to Durbridge, he rode superbly. Sulzberger was very strong to stay with him. Drapac should have sent more up the road as they were so strong. It was a boring race as the main field did nothing, but at least it was won solo.

Budget were very strong last year but now they have lost Davison and O'Brien so they do not have a clear leader.

"Well done turbo Durbridge" he was a deserving winner.Epic fail tactics from the main bunch,leaving it far to late to start chasing the breakaway group.(Greenedge,s tactics were good though)Thought Haas was going better than what he faired?