• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Australian National Championships: Men's Road Race, 195.6km

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Startlist

ProTeams:
GreenEdge
Durbridge
Matthews
Cooke
Gerrans
C. Meyer
Goss
O'Grady
T.Meyer
Howard
Clarke
Docker
Sulzberger

Sky
Porte
Sutton
Hayman

Garmin
Von Hoff
Dennis
Haas
Morton

Saxo Tinkoff
Cantwell

Lampre
Lloyd

Argos
W. Clarke

Lotto
Hansen

Blanco
Bobridge
Renshaw
Brown

Cannondale
Wurf

14pohj.jpg

Road-Race.jpg

(3 x Big & 11 x Small laps)

Start time: 11:30am (AEDST)
Coverage starts: 2pm
Race finish: ~4:30pm

Just wondering how they ride in these champs races, do the teams ride for each other, what do the individuals do? Is ther back door deals done to see who rides for who? Or is it just everyman for himself?

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
austy37 said:
Just wondering how they ride in these champs races, do the teams ride for each other, what do the individuals do? Is ther back door deals done to see who rides for who? Or is it just everyman for himself?

Yes. -------------;)

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
austy37 said:

They used to be a bit more helter skelter, but last year, and I suspect this year as well, OGE will throw someone up the road so that the rest of team don't have to chase making the other pro's with smaller team representation burn their matches early or gamble on the domestic teams which are inherently weaker to do the work to bring them back. Some of the pro's who are riding by themselves can sometimes get some support from guys they train with/grew up with who ride the NRS. If OGE have someone up the road but none of the other WT riders are up there, you might see the likes of the Sky guys, the Garmin guys and the Blanco guys combine to get their protected riders back (probably Porte, Haas and Bobridge). And two of the Garmin guys (Von Hoff and Haas) were ex-Genesys, so you might see some collusion to get Haas to the decisive move if he misses the early potentially winning move

movingtarget said:
I don't think Gerrans was trying too hard in the Sun Tour. I think he and Simon Clarke will be very hard to beat

Yes, more due to the fact they have the best finish of anyone in contention (provided Matthews gets dropped). The fail safe scenario for GreenEdge is that they bring one of those three to the finish in a small sprint. Unless someone is super strong they will not be able to break GreenEdge down and the only way other guys on GE win is if they get away solo and no one chases.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I would prefer a non-GreenEdge rider to win so I don't have to listen to Tomalaris fawn over one of their riders.

I think Clarke or C. Meyer will take this. I wish one year Evans would come and compete in Ballarat. Put some of the local riders back in their places. :)

auscyclefan94 said:
I would prefer a non-GreenEdge rider to win so I don't have to listen to Tomalaris fawn over one of their riders.

I think Clarke or C. Meyer will take this. I wish one year Evans would come and compete in Ballarat. Put some of the local riders back in their places. :)

I would love to see Darren Lapthorne win after the horrible time he and his family went through. I think he has won it before. Cadel might come back in his final year ?

As much as there will be collaboration and mates helping each other, I still believe the strongest 3 or 4 riders will fight out the battle. I think Gerrans, Porte, Lloyd and Sutton were strongest last year and fought out the finish and the same "should" happen this year.

I would make a final five this year with Haas joining the 4 from last year and Simon Clarke replacing Matt Lloyd. I think if there is to be a surprise result, it will come from a breakaway and feel that OGE will definitely give licence to one of their riders, preferably Cam Meyer to get in a strong breakaway. The big dangers in a break like this could be Hansen or Will Clarke. There are a number of strong young riders but I am predicting the numerous climbs and distance of the race will knock them out.

Dark horse performances could come from Durbridge, Will Walker, Lapthorne or Hayman.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I hope that Hansen or one of the Garmin guys takes it, but it will be very difficult to beat GE. Although it will be hilarious if they do get beat.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
PCutter said:
They used to be a bit more helter skelter, but last year, and I suspect this year as well, OGE will throw someone up the road so that the rest of team don't have to chase making the other pro's with smaller team representation burn their matches early or gamble on the domestic teams which are inherently weaker to do the work to bring them back. Some of the pro's who are riding by themselves can sometimes get some support from guys they train with/grew up with who ride the NRS. If OGE have someone up the road but none of the other WT riders are up there, you might see the likes of the Sky guys, the Garmin guys and the Blanco guys combine to get their protected riders back (probably Porte, Haas and Bobridge). And two of the Garmin guys (Von Hoff and Haas) were ex-Genesys, so you might see some collusion to get Haas to the decisive move if he misses the early potentially winning move

There will definitely be collusion. No other way to beat OGE.

I would like to see Will Walker finish on the podium.

I can't see how Gerrans or Cam Meyer won't put on the jersey at the end of the day. Both are the form riders of OGE at the moment.

Haas to be up there with obviously Porte. Will Clarke is a nice chance too at a podium. I wouldn't write off Dennis either. He'll probably end up as Garmin's main man rather than Haas, so we'll see how that plays out during the race.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Quite cold in Ballarat today, especially for a day in the middle of an Australian Summer. My view on the course is that with the big circuit that comes after the Bunningyong climb every so often, that this will suit Gerrans the most. It means that the pure climbers will have a couple of less climbs to make the difference on but will still be difficult enough to shave down the field.