• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Cleanest Peloton Ever

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alpe d huez was not suspicious but the people that want to make a big deal of that seem to forget that in no Tour do they break records on every climb. Its perfectly normal for some mtfs to be ridden slower.In some of Armstrongs Tours he posted quite low power outputs the whole tour even.

l.Harm said:
I probably forgot but where did he crash?

it was one day before, or maybe two before Pirynees.
i expecting him wining in Ax 3 Domaines.

it was a hard crash.
he said he gain 1.5 kg, I dont know, but he was hurt, of course...

http://www.lasprovincias.es/agencia...tour-2013-purito-sufre-unas_201307041635.html

Caida is Crash in spanish, it was Montpellier, the windy day...

1372957451_extras_albumes_0.jpg

Ferminal said:
Watching someone like Cunego struggle to get his face on TV really makes you pessimistic. I mean he's about 15% worse than just two years ago.

Yeah, i'd been thinking what a change there had been from the last time they came up AdH, people like Evans, Cunego and A Schleck are in the race this year but nowhere near the top. The top 10 from 2011 are below - not saying there were cleaner then or not, and obviously some are not racing this year, but quite a change in 2 years

The class of 2011

1 Pierre Rolland (Fra)
2 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa)
3 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa)
4 Peter Velits (Svk)
5 Cadel Evans (Aus)
6 Thomas De Gendt (Bel)
7 Damiano Cunego (Ita)
8 Fränk Schleck (Lux)
9 Andy Schleck (Lux)
10 Ryder Hesjedal (Can)

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
2011 was raced harder than today, though. Contador spent the whole day in the breakaway, pulling by himself. And they were coming off that Galibier stage, which would have exhausted pretty much everybody.

how do you explain the 2003 stage then? that was the first real mountain stage at the end of the first week.

more fun and games:

39' 28" Miguel Induráin 1995
39' 28" Alex Zülle 1995
39' 30" Bjarne Riis 1995

20 seconds off of supercharged 1995 times? give me a break.

Alphabet said:
Cunego is a shadow of his former self. Look at him now, stage hunting from breakaways. Reminds me of Leipheimer, Basso and Scarponi together in a break last year. It's only been 2 years since he top 10'd the Tour.

Compare the 2011 climb times to those from 2102&2013 and you might have an answer to that.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:

Funny how, when climbing times were down in 2010 and 2011, people couldn't stop pointing out that this meant the sport was cleaning up. Now we have Quintana producing 6.3 w/kg on a long climb in a hard stage at the end of a GT, yet there's no outrage at all (JV, journalists?). Almost feels like nobody believed anything about cleaning up anyway.

zlev11 said:
how do you explain the 2003 stage then? that was the first real mountain stage at the end of the first week.

more fun and games:

39' 28" Miguel Induráin 1995
39' 28" Alex Zülle 1995
39' 30" Bjarne Riis 1995

20 seconds off of supercharged 1995 times? give me a break.

wow. Zülle was superb after his huge break the day before.

But I think those times are for 14.4 km. So you can subtract around 50 seconds from those times.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Lanark said:
Funny how, when climbing times were down in 2010 and 2011, people couldn't stop pointing out that this meant the sport was cleaning up. Now we have Quintana producing 6.3 w/kg on a long climb in a hard stage at the end of a GT, yet there's no outrage at all (JV, journalists?). Almost feels like nobody believed anything about cleaning up anyway.

jv has been successfully distributing blinders in here. free of charge.
whatever jv has posted, the underlying message was "move on..nothing to see here".
somehow everybody except jv was able to predict froome was gonna go full E.T.

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
3 weeks of going full blast in the hot sun with only 2 restdays and 17 hr of recovery between stages and i have to believe this can be done clean?

not in my world, the ones at the back are using one PED, HGH or so, but at the front its eight or more.
sometimes it is what it is.....

Lanark said:

I dont know if he has done 6,3, but he has been far away of Pantani and Lance.

Quintana's time it is possible to improve clean clearly.

I believe Sastre's time.

the sceptic said:
What a farcical year of cycling this has been.

This. Can't even watch the GT's this year. Gave up on Giro, gave up on TdF, have only caught some stages of Vuelta but haven't got it in me to watch based on the last 2 GT's.

The one-days were good to watch this year - not saying that they were any cleaner or anything even remotely resembling that, but they were at least entertaining. Giro and TdF this year were not entertaining - they were fury-inducing.