• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 8: Sisteron-Risoul 155,5 km

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who Wins?

• Porte

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Orbit501 said:
Top ride from Rohan Dennis.

A few of the other youngsters too like Barguil and Geniez had a good race as well. Good to see young French riders doing well. Molard in the break today as well :)

You forgot Wellens, one of the stars of the race imo.

Le Baroudeur said:
Beating Sky is secondary. The tour is the exception where the win for Alberto is a primary goal and airtime for the sponsors is key. Elsewhere the WT points system encourages playing the numbers until you have enough points to comfortably start taking risks.

Well, I was responding to a comment praising Riis' tactical genius as the key to beating Sky, and I just don't see that in today's result.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
spalco said:
Too bad his "tactics" were kind of **** though. Should have known he can't depend on Rogers. Much better to unleash the accountant and see what happens. When he fails at least he does it spectacularly instead of with a whimper.

do you think contador's acceleration make the sky up their tempo thus dropped Rogers? I hope not, other wise, this is 2009 kloden dejavu, with schleck brothers dropped him with contador's acceleration.

or is this just simply rogers number only up to a certain km on that kind of climb? or he just have a bad day?

movingtarget said:
Oh well Sky do things differently and it works.

It wouldnt work if they attacked? If like in TA 4 of the top 8 climbers are on your squad then absolutely anything will work.

At the Tour last year they could have attacked with Rogers attacked with Porte, attacked with Froome, even Wiggins, they still would have ended up with the overall and probably the 1-2 and maybe even a 1-2-3.

Pushing on the front is probably the least efficient way to do it because then everyone is getting a slipstream off you.

Its not that efficient either cos they ****ed up the 2011 Vuelta despite having the 1st and 3rd strongest riders in the race and they also ****ed up Tirreno despite having by far the strongest rider and the strongest team in the race.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
too true

why do I always support disappointing riders like Taaramae, Rolland, Gesink, Cobo, Rujano...... I really need to find better riders to support. :eek:

So that's you who's been jinxing :p

The Hitch said:
It wouldnt work if they attacked? If like in TA 4 of the top 8 climbers are on your squad then absolutely anything will work.

At the Tour last year they could have attacked with Rogers attacked with Porte, attacked with Froome, even Wiggins, they still would have ended up with the overall and probably the 1-2 and maybe even a 1-2-3.

Pushing on the front is probably the least efficient way to do it because then everyone is getting a slipstream off you.

Its not that efficient either cos they ****ed up the 2011 Vuelta despite having the 1st and 3rd strongest riders in the race and they also ****ed up Tirreno despite having by far the strongest rider and the strongest team in the race.

I thought they stuffed up the Vuelta because they supported the wrong rider and in the Tirreno Froome admitted he had a bad day and the cold got to him. See no reason to disbelieve that. Even though it is inefficient the GC group tends to explode but also taking Sky riders along with it. That's the problem for Froome if he is feeling under par on an MTF and has lost all of his riders including Porte. Froome may do more attacking himself in the Tour. Sky don't seem to play tactics like other teams they prefer to turn the screws slowly. Of course it's not always guaranteed to work. I don't see Rodriguez trying long range attacks unless he uses Spilak but I think Saxo and Movistar will juggle their tactics and try to upset Sky's metronome.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Cimber said:
Has nothing to do with sky. Drop the victim role. It had been equally bad by any team in Sky's position. Ppl really should dig into the norms and unwritten rules in the peloton

They allowed to win De Marchi. What claims can be adressed to them?