• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Fleche Wallonne (17 April)

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Fleche Wallonne?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I wouldn't say he's worse than last year.

Problem is Iglinskiy, Nibali, Rodriguez, Rolland, Gerrans etc are specifically targeting L-B-L, plus Henao and Valverde who are great already. Unless Gilbert has only been interested in winning on Sunday he will probably be outside the top10.

The GCW said:
Sagan may not be suited for steep sprint finishes.

I wouldn't say that. Today, he marked Gilbert, which was not obviously a good idea. Also, he was tired from the cobbles. If he gets a little more strength and some experience, he might have a chance. Also, after conquering the cobbles, he might time his peak to ardennes, which would be yet another story again. He definately could win all of the classics one day, but most probably not in one year. Imho, that's not even humanly possible.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gilbert went at roughly the same distance in 2011 and blew everyone away.

Now he couldn't distance jack **** and blew himself and got passed by everyone in the last 200m. No way Gilbert even stands a remote chance of winning LBL in this form
He blew himself? Wow, that guy can do everything on a bike ;)

Sadly he's not that fast right now. He looks sort of similar to last year, sadly.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Giampaolo Caruso of Katusha is strong this spring, and has been for many weeks now. He´s one of the very few riders of the 2006 58 name list (you know, which) who really came back strong, and is almost world class again. Even more surprising as he is not THIS big of a star, and so really seemed endangered to be made a sacrifice like e.g. a Koldo Gil, etc.

After today, we should stop creating polls maybe, for a while. It´s so unpredictible, who´d have thought Moreno would do it?

One is for sure, there is absolutely no favourite for LBL this year, absolutely none. Maybe Valverde as a 1:10 favourite, and others being 1:11 and higher.

Escarabajo said:
So if Valverde is in a race as the designated leader, Quintana won't even try.
I hope that is not the case in other races

Could he just be tiring? He's been going strong for a long time now and had poor result in AGR as well.

I don't think we can count Gilbert out just yet. AGR is more similar to LBL than FW is and Gilbert went well there. No, he's not in 2011 form, but I don't think there's anyone who's head and shoulders above the field at the moment. I'd say LBL is wide open and there are 20 guys who could win.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
What the hell was Dan Martin doing at the start of the climb? Did he think it was only fair to give everyone else a headstart? There's no point in going past people like they are standing still, if you are going to do so from a position like that.

Did you watch the race? He had had a mechanical

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
betancur's attack was out of this world though and he almost made it _O_
great for the colombians, they showed again how strong they are

phil is millions years away of his 2011 form sadly

moreno was the strongest though, chapeau!

exaclty. it's just a real pity they didn't win. especially betancurt. the future is without limits for colombian cycling now

Re: Dan Martin,

About Dan,

The mechanical, then He was already back for 15k, He spent some juice getting back, He didn't have a lead-out, poor position for the final... all of that is in the past.

The Giro d'Italia was not won today.

Think Dan Martin and Ryder and Garmin crew will be ready for Giro-thon. If the Giro is the big cheese (& I think it is), this is all prep work. -The way Ryder buried Himself at Amstel last Saturday... What they're training for now will come in handy for those 6 MTF's in the Giro-grounds.

Can hardly wait for the Giro-ation.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Bushman said:
@Ryo, I think you are one the posters here with the biggest cycling knowledge. How do you rate Kwiatkowski? what do you think of his potential?

he surprised me ever since turning pro. I thought he would become somilar like popovych in early physical peak. he imo will become a huge factor in classics and especially because he's also very fast. I think his itt may decline with years as well. not for gt's though I think. he's better on shorter climbs. but if you saw him in flanders, amazing in cobbles too. one thing for sure. he has an incredible engine to go 200 km+

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The GCW said:
About Dan,

The mechanical, then He was already back for 15k, He spent some juice getting back, He didn't have a lead-out, poor position for the final... all of that is in the past.

Think Dan Martin and Ryder and Garmin crew will be ready for Giro-thon. If the Giro is the big cheese (& I think it is), this is all prep work. -The way Ryder buried Himself at Amstel last Saturday... What they're training for now will come in handy for those 6 MTF's in the Giro-grounds.

Martin riding the Giro is news to me. ;)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
Yes, and I strongly suppose he could have won it today, if he wouldn´t have had this mechanical.

the mechanical meant notyhing. it was in a fats downhil part and the cars brougjht him back, now hesjedal. he was relaly hampered by mechnical before the 2nd last mur

The GCW said:
About Dan,

Will Dan also do the Giro?

Ryo Hazuki said:
he surprised me ever since turning pro. I thought he would become somilar like popovych in early physical peak. he imo will become a huge factor in classics and especially because he's also very fast. I think his itt may decline with years as well. not for gt's though I think. he's better on shorter climbs. but if you saw him in flanders, amazing in cobbles too. one thing for sure. he has an incredible engine to go 200 km+

Thanks. I'm not quit convinced about GTs either. Is he big enough to be a real factor on the cobbles? He is something like 68 Kg no? But may not hurt him too much in flanders, where most of the cobbles are uphill.