• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Finally came to their senses... They needed at least one of Henao/Uran/Porte completely fresh for July. Wonder if Wiggins will be able to hold his wheel in July.

When did they say Porte was ever going do Giro though ? ;) I have been saying here I was quire sure Porte would do Tour only and he will. Giro is for next year for him. But we'll see I guess.

On Dombrowski, I am close to 100% sure he will do Giro. There are not auditions, what would be the point of Dombrowski peaking for May and then someone tells him he didn't pass ''audtion'' and his peak form of the year is wasted.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
JRanton said:
Reading some interviews from Porte after Paris-Nice it appears that he won't be at the Giro after all, so Sky are banking everything on Wiggins.

So I think they line-up:

Wiggins, Henao, Uran, Cataldo, Kiryienka, Lopez, Kennaugh, Pate, Knees

I don't think Dombrowski has passed his audition. He hasn't done badly but I don't think he's quite ready for the task that Sky will be asking of him. Puccio is a possibility instead of Kennaugh based on Tirreno but they probably want to have at least two Brits in there.

Tour squad: Froome, Wiggins, Porte, Thomas, Siutsou, EBH, Stannard, Eisel + one other

Climbing wise the tour team would look weaker than last year with no Rogers and with Wiggins that will be tired from the giro. I woudn't be surprised if they decide to use Uran in the tour and leave him out of the Giro just to balance the two team.
in my opinion it will be
Giro
Wiggins, Henao, Dombrovski, Cataldo, Kiryienka, Lopez, Kennaugh, Pate, Knees
Tour
Froome, Wiggins, Porte, Thomas, Siutsou, EBH, Stannard, Eisel and Uran

lol, look at this shameful advertising from RCS.

Come apply to work on the Giro caravan. We need male youths cos at the moment its only supermodels.

600342_10151319114743247_1088416837_n.jpg

aleale said:
Pescara's stage of the Giro d'Italia will be really hard. There will be the same climb in the penultimate stage of the Tirreno Adriatico. Wiggins could be a very difficult day.
No there won't. The two Chieti climbs are different to the ones used in T-A, and there isn't any of the climbs used in the stage Sagan won.

Ferminal said:
They go through Chieti but it's 40km from the finish. Not like Nibali can take 20 seconds there then solo away into Pink. The final climb is a realistic prospect to gain time for a brave man though.
Also the fact that it is the day before the ITT. I don't think any of the favourites will attack on that stage :eek:

Referring to other Sky riders in Catalunya who are honing their form for the Giro and Tour, Hunt said “if I’m honest, there are so many riders who are strong at the moment, it’s causing a bit of a reshuffle around the Giro and Tour selection: that’s kind of ongoing at the moment.

“Guys that were going to the Giro are maybe now going to the Tour, guys that were going to the Tour are maybe doing the Giro, maybe some guys doing both. It’s a good situation to be in, if the groups are going better than we anticipated, but that means the Giro and Tour selection is very much in the air at the moment.”

---------

Time to dig out my collection of rude, over confident, and entirely incorrect statements from Ryo.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Probably not, Wiggins will be in safety first mode by then, but coming 1 day before the TT, it would suit him more than anyone else to have everyone working hard that day. Everyone tired in the TT will just accentuate the differences.

wasnt the case in the 2011 vuelta, but yeah was the case in the Tour so probably will be the case also this time.

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Referring to other Sky riders in Catalunya who are honing their form for the Giro and Tour, Hunt said “if I’m honest, there are so many riders who are strong at the moment, it’s causing a bit of a reshuffle around the Giro and Tour selection: that’s kind of ongoing at the moment.

“Guys that were going to the Giro are maybe now going to the Tour, guys that were going to the Tour are maybe doing the Giro, maybe some guys doing both. It’s a good situation to be in, if the groups are going better than we anticipated, but that means the Giro and Tour selection is very much in the air at the moment.”

Im guessing that means that Kennaugh, Uran and Dombrowski are under threat for the giro? Although we're not really likely to find out

Waterloo Sunrise said:

---------

Time to dig out my collection of rude, over confident, and entirely incorrect statements from Ryo.

Thanks for that.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Do we think anyone can stick with Wiggins if he attacks on the descends?

how about nibali? the last time i heard he is a daredevil when it comes to descending..:D:D I'm sure he's glad to test his heart rate against wiggin when it comes to dare devil descent..

So where exactly is Wiggins' form at? Does he only have Trentino after this?

No doubt he will improve significantly on this but the signs aren't great. If it's only Nibali I don't think there is any worry, but if Sanchez, Cobo, Pellizotti (oh yeh and Rujano :rolleyes: ) show up in form it would be a big test.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:

No doubt he will improve significantly on this but the signs aren't great. If it's only Nibali I don't think there is any worry, but if Sanchez, Cobo, Pellizotti (oh yeh and Rujano :rolleyes: ) show up in form it would be a big test.

Is Cobo confirmed riding Giro?
In recent SKY interview, the DS indicated there would be some Giro-Tour people shuffle going on. I think in regard of RP's recent astonishing performance, SKY is trying really hard to see how to play their cards best.

maxmartin said:
Is Cobo confirmed riding Giro?
In recent SKY interview, the DS indicated there would be some Giro-Tour people shuffle going on. I think in regard of RP's recent astonishing performance, SKY is trying really hard to see how to play their cards best.

Yeh Cobo is but will probably be autobus material :(

I think Wiggins needs the top climbing help more than Froome does, taking 500m to cover an attack is going to wear him down if there are multiple aggressors (especially in the Giro where there are harder stages/finishes). Froome is more capable man on man, even against Contador/Purito.

It's all on Henao. I have doubts on Uran's effectiveness when it really does hit the fan. Porte is still relatively unproven in terms of being useful at the top of long/hard climbs. I think you could advocate a safety first approach by sending all three of them to the Giro and manage their workload if it's beginning to look comfortable. As it stands though it seems Porte is looking at the Tour only. The problem isn't so much the depth (which is amazing) but the top5 domestique like Froome has done for Wiggins in the past.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Yeh Cobo is but will probably be autobus material :(

I like to see Cobo tear Wiggins apart like he did in Angliru, although the possibility is remote. Oh well anything can happen, just have to have a little faith:D

Ferminal said:

He also will have to face Gesink and Basso, whilst Scarponi should also ride.

I think he planned to ride LBL:D.

Status
Not open for further replies.