• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jelantik said:
I think Evans should concentrate on the Giro. He won the tour already, why not win the Giro now? He can match wiggin in TT or at least lost little time and if he is fit like 2011 TDF, he can hang with wiggin in the mountain. Let TGV handle the TDF. TDF this year is tough and the opponent is tougher that before.

Evans is now riding the Giro ! Did not expect this at all but he wants the extra racing days and will ride Trentino and Liege before the Giro then on to the Tour. If he does not perform in the Giro I wonder if he will bother with the Tour ? Many thought he should have done this last year. I have a feeling it's not just the racing days Cadel is after. I think he wanted a final shot at the Giro before he retires. I think it's a good idea. Hope he can regain some form.

Surely a sign he will be riding for TJVG in the tour? Unfinished business with the giro.

movingtarget said:
Evans is now riding the Giro ! Did not expect this at all but he wants the extra racing days and will ride Trentino and Liege before the Giro then on to the Tour. If he does not perform in the Giro I wonder if he will bother with the Tour ? Many thought he should have done this last year. I have a feeling it's not just the racing days Cadel is after. I think he wanted a final shot at the Giro before he retires. I think it's a good idea. Hope he can regain some form.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I am very happy about this. It makes total sense. Evans has won the Tour, why not try to add the Giro? The fact that his form is not great atm does not bother me. That will mean he won't be too good for the Giro too early.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
evans riding the giro are great news as he could be another helping nibali take time on wiggins on the hilly first week.

You got that right. Nibali (=vino) and Cadel :D

Reminds me of something

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I am very happy about this. It makes total sense. Evans has won the Tour, why not try to add the Giro? The fact that his form is not great atm does not bother me. That will mean he won't be too good for the Giro too early.

We all know why he's really riding the giro.

Too many skyborgs in the tour.

And his form is not great? That's an understatement ;)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:
If all these riders are going to the Giro only to avoid SKYtrain 2.0, I must thank Brailsford for his help to the greater good of cycling...

You think Evans would have done it knowing Porte and Froome wouldn't ride the tour but the giro?

And Wiggins is also obvious. Nibali is different though, he's not scared :cool::cool:

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Miburo said:
We all know why he's really riding the giro.

Too many skyborgs in the tour.

And his form is not great? That's an understatement ;)

He's been the prototype of borgs ever since he raced GT's himself. On the Galibier in 2011 he put out a performance never matched afterwards by the now Skyborgs, and he never attacked from far before 2012. And now he's just pathetic, not accepting TJVG is the best possible leader for BMC. Why doesn't he just accept the injuries and illnesses have taken their toll on him, and he's close to retirement?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
He's been the prototype of borgs ever since he raced GT's himself. On the Galibier in 2011 he put out a performance never matched afterwards by the now Skyborgs, and he never attacked from far before 2012. And now he's just pathetic, not accepting TJVG is the best possible leader for BMC. Why doesn't he just accept the injuries and illnesses have taken their toll on him, and he's close to retirement?

Sigh, some people like Pentacycle never learn...

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:
If all these riders are going to the Giro only to avoid SKYtrain 2.0, I must thank Brailsford for his help to the greater good of cycling...

No, most riders opting to go to the Giro this year just have some bad experiences with the Tour. Sammie crashed hard last year, and Basso had a bad run in 2010, '11 and '12. Gesink has never not crashed in the Tour, Hesjedal wasn't very lucky either last year. Evans perhaps feels the Tour is a level too high for him now, or that it may help him prepare for the Tour.

Nibali and Wiggins are the exceptions, they did well in the Tour but they are very motivated to get the Giro on their palmares, since they both have won the Tour or Vuelta.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
evans riding the giro are great news as he could be another helping nibali take time on wiggins on the hilly first week.

Evans is quite a good friend with Wiggins actually. Helped at times Froome at Tirreno as well. I wouldn't expect him working with Nibali much against Wiggins specifically.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Yingge said:
Evans has won the Tour too, is he not entitled to try to add the Giro to his palmares?

He's definitely not going win it though. Top 10 plus a stage win at best imo. Anyway I do like he doesnt ride Tour. He wouldn't be any factor at Tour at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.