• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Yeah, Lopez is a given. There isn't anything wrong with that assumption, but it's just that some people, me included, are wondering if that team is strong enough to control the race.

Maybe sky is confidence that Wiggin will smoke everyone in the ITT just like last year TDF, so they don't need to send the strongest squad. Wiggin's climbing is on par with everyone on the field, but he is superior in his TT and no one match him yet. Also Giro del Trentino squad won TTT. So if wiggin can accumulate early time advantage with all the TT's combine, he just need to hang in the mountain.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
He was at one point, but they've changed it a bunch of times. Now Brailsford says he'll be at the Tour, so I guess that's that.

henao is doing the giro. wiggins said so himself less than a week ago

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
tweak37 said:
Porte and Henao will be in the tour squad, so I assume no giro for them:

"The reality is there'll be a little bit of question mark over Bradley coming out of the Giro," Brailsford added. "He could be flying, but he might not. We don't want to count on him necessarily. If he is in great shape, he and Froome will be there, if not then [it'll be] Richie and Sergio."

see http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/537922/sky-s-giro-and-tour-teams-near-finalisation.html

can you even read? he basically sais if wiggins isn't fresh enough after the giro, henao or uran will go to the tour AFTER HAVING DONE THE GIRO of course

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
can you even read? he basically sais if wiggins isn't fresh enough after the giro, henao or uran will go to the tour AFTER HAVING DONE THE GIRO of course
Wiggo needs both Uran and Henao in the Giro - they will ride.

The payback will be leadership for one of them at the Vuelta.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
The reality is there'll be a little bit of question mark over Bradley coming out of the Giro," Brailsford added. "He could be flying, but he might not. We don't want to count on him necessarily. If he is in great shape, he and Froome will be there, if not then [it'll be] Richie and Sergio.
He mentions Porte and Henao, not Uran and Henao. Otherwise that would make sense. If Henao is going to the Tour without doubt that makes it unlikely he'll be doing the Giro. I think they'd only do that with a seasoned domestique e.g. Kiryienka. If someone says Henao is getting the Vuelta for himself, and then he's solidly in the Tour squad, then of course no way he rides the Giro.

Ryo Hazuki said:
henao is doing the giro. wiggins said so himself less than a week ago

Okay, then I guess the CF list could be legit.

HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Colombia
KENNAUGH Peter United Kingdom
KIRYIENKA Vasil Belarus
LOPEZ GARCIA David Spain
PATE Danny United States
PORTE Richie Australia
URAN Rigoberto Colombia
WIGGINS Bradley United Kingdom

+ Siutsou already confirmed.

Does anyone know if Porte has been "confirmed" by Wiggins or anyone else on the team?

Cavendash

BANNED
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
KIRYIENKA Vasil Belarus
LOPEZ GARCIA David Spain
PATE Danny United States
PORTE Richie Australia
URAN Rigoberto Colombia

No chance thats the team, i'ld be suprised if more than 1 of Porte, Henao and Kiryienka went to Italy, thats basically the best possible team Sky can send minus Froome, it makes no sense unless they think Froome will absolutely **** the Tour without much help.

Cavendash said:
KIRYIENKA Vasil Belarus
LOPEZ GARCIA David Spain
PATE Danny United States
PORTE Richie Australia
URAN Rigoberto Colombia

No chance thats the team, i'ld be suprised if more than 1 of Porte, Henao and Kiryienka went to Italy, thats basically the best possible team Sky can send minus Froome, it makes no sense unless they think Froome will absolutely **** the Tour without much help.

Wiggins said Henao was going, so that would make

Wiggins
Henao
Uran
Lopez
Siutsou
Cataldo
Kennaugh

Plus two of Knees, Pate and Zandio

Though I think Kyrienka will be there in addition to those first 7. He's pretty much indispensable and could easily make both the Giro and the Tour teams.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I think we have minimum of intrigue on who will win win... My main intrigue whether Wiggins takes one of MTF's. :)

Gogo, Gesink! Now or never.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Just one??

We don't know what Sir plans about double. :p If it will be ok, he'll try to save himself for the Tour as well.

Do you handle this with irony? :) Why not? Galibier suits Wiggo very well.

airstream said:
We don't know what Sir plans about double. :p If it will be ok, he'll try to save himself for the Tour as well.

Do you handle this with irony? :) Why not? Galibier suits Wiggo very well.

Maybe. I still think Telegraphe - Galibier is outside of his comfort zone. The final 10 kms are pretty hard. That wouldn't necessarily be a problem in itself, but combined with the insane length of that climb, I'm not sure.

Vajont I could definitely see, but I don't consider that a MTF.

Ferminal said:
Depends on the race situation. If it's tight I'd lock him in for Val Martello, solo from around 5km to go.

The rest of the stage is too hard for him to make a succesful attack at around 5 kms to go, IMO. Then again I don't rate his climbing skills as highly as most do. But assuming he he has the legs to do so, wouldn't he be already be like 4 to ...7(?) minutes ahead on GC at that point?

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
The rest of the stage is too hard for him to make a succesful attack at around 5 k to go, IMO. Then again I don't rate his climbing skills as highly as most do. But assuming he he has the legs to do so, wouldn't he be already be like 4 to ...7(?) minutes ahead on GC at that point?

Good call, could very well be.

Status
Not open for further replies.