• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oliver said:
Sivtsov @ Trentino:

Aujourd'hui, c'était un test pour le Giro. Nous avons essayé certaines choses, ma forme est croissante et nous espérons que mon pic de forme arrivera lors du Tour d'Italie. Après avoir remporté le chrono par équipes, nous pouvons dire que nous sommes sur la bonne voie pour être au top en mai".

So Sivtsov is riding the Giro. I don't think Cycling Fever has the right team.

That CF team is a rider short though

taiwan said:
Scarponi was better than expected in LBL and Niemiec will be a great lieutenant for him if he's not just riding for himself. Evans is also being underrated for a GT. Because he's older ppl are jumping the gun by saying he's done.

It's not necessarily just because he's older. It's because he's shown very little indication that he's at or near the form and progression of form needed to excel. If any other rider had performed in the lead up to the Giro as Evans has, their chances would be discounted just the same. His age just amplifies the turbulent waters he faces to even make the Giro podium let alone be a factor at all.

taiwan said:
I didn't have 1 rider in mind, but if not a Scarponi or Evans who have been GT leaders for way longer than Hesjedal, there are all the younger guys coming up like Betancur, Henao, Santambrogio, Intxausti.

A lot can happen in a GT, just on gut I can't see Ryder putting up a solid defence.
Apparently the Vaughers underdog tactics work. To mention Intxausti as a threat to Hesjedal... yeah, theoretically he could be.

I'm sure 28-year-old Santambrogio likes your 'younger guys' comment ;)

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
It's not necessarily just because he's older. It's because he's shown very little indication that he's at or near the form and progression of form needed to excel. If any other rider had performed in the lead up to the Giro as Evans has, their chances would be discounted just the same. His age just amplifies the turbulent waters he faces to even make the Giro podium let alone be a factor at all.

IDK he was climbing respectably at Trentino and the last stage of the Giro is a month away. I disagree that he's not near where he needs to be to contend for the Giro.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Apparently the Vaughers underdog tactics work. To mention Intxausti as a threat to Hesjedal... yeah, theoretically he could be.

I'm sure 28-year-old Santambrogio likes your 'younger guys' comment ;)

Exactly. Going in as a major favourite and controlling the race is just not Garmin's MO. I think the Giro will flop a bit and then they'll top 5 with someone else at le Tour.

Santambrogio is looking good for 28. Ok swap "younger" for "unproven" and go with that.

Dazed and Confused said:
CF current team:

HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Colombia
KENNAUGH Peter United Kingdom
KIRYIENKA Vasil Belarus
LOPEZ GARCIA David Spain
PATE Danny United States
PORTE Richie Australia
URAN Rigoberto Colombia
WIGGINS Bradley United Kingdom

if true, its game over.

Porte and Henao will be in the tour squad, so I assume no giro for them:

"The reality is there'll be a little bit of question mark over Bradley coming out of the Giro," Brailsford added. "He could be flying, but he might not. We don't want to count on him necessarily. If he is in great shape, he and Froome will be there, if not then [it'll be] Richie and Sergio."

see http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/537922/sky-s-giro-and-tour-teams-near-finalisation.html

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
yeah the cf list is wrong. but amazing how long the sky debate has been going on without consensus on the final squad. Also if froome gets henao, porte and kiri fresh that seems unfair on wiggins with just uran in support for the end of the really high mountains

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
That list is probably based on outdated information. Porte, Henao and Kiryienka are scheduled to ride the Tour, according to the latest info.

Do you believe this? It would be quite presumptous to entirely rely on Uran, Cataldo and Lopez. I think Sky will bring all strong guys and the only question who should be in the reserve for the Tour, Porte, Siutsou or no one.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
Do you believe this? It would be quite presumptous to entirely rely on Uran, Cataldo and Lopez. I think Sky will bring all strong guys and the only question who should be in the reserve for the Tour, Porte, Siutsou or no one.

Winning the Tour will be prioritised over the Giro.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
Winning the Tour will be prioritised over the Giro.

How about the status of Sir which is rumored to be given in case Wiggins gets the Giro? :) The Tour is priotised over the Giro I agree. But Wiggins will be always priotised over Froome its obvious too,

airstream said:

I'm not sure if I believe that, no, but that's the latest info we have and what they told Kiryienka from the looks of it. But that was before Trentino, so who knows, really.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
How about the status of Sir which is rumored to be given in case Wiggins gets the Giro? :) The Tour is priotised over the Giro I agree. But Wiggins will be always priotised over Froome its obvious too,

+1 10 characters

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
What's wrong with assuming the Trentino startlist - Dombrowski + Uran?

WIGGINS Bradley
CATALDO Dario
DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd
KENNAUGH Peter
KNEES Christian
PATE Danny
SIUTSOU Kanstantsin
ZANDIO ECHAIDE Xabier
URAN URAN Rigoberto

OK that's 8. Sutton/Lopez?

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:

That doesn't explain why Sky keep taking out their best domestiques (Porte, Kiryenka and Henao) from the Giro squad and keeping them for the Tour instead.

taiwan said:
What's wrong with assuming the Trentino startlist - Dombrowski + Uran?

WIGGINS Bradley
CATALDO Dario
DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd
KENNAUGH Peter
KNEES Christian
PATE Danny
SIUTSOU Kanstantsin
ZANDIO ECHAIDE Xabier
URAN URAN Rigoberto

OK that's 8. Sutton/Lopez?

Yeah, Lopez is a given. There isn't anything wrong with that assumption, but it's just that some people, me included, are wondering if that team is strong enough to control the race.

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Leaving aside the Froome/ Wiggins debates, from Henao's own perspective surely he should be riding the Giro rather than the Tour, so he is as fresh as possible for the Vuelta? Or are his chances at the Vuelta going to be reduced as a "sacrifice" to make sure that Froome wins the Tour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS