• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
every time I hear about people pointing out how weak of a field last year's Giro had, I realize how big of an opportunity it would have been for Frank Schleck to win a grand tour.

I know this was done prior to Trentino but why does the Poll have riders like Gesink / Basso / Scarponi / Rujano / Capecchi / Intxausti but no Cadel Evans?? Wiggins and Nibali deserve favoritism but the exclusion of Evans for these other riders does not make any sense. Basso was 2:40 down on Evans at the finish of Sega di Ala.

Cookster15 said:
I know this was done prior to Trentino but why does the Poll have riders like Gesink / Basso / Scarponi / Rujano / Capecchi / Intxausti but no Cadel Evans?? Wiggins and Nibali deserve favoritism but the exclusion of Evans for these other riders does not make any sense. Basso was 2:40 down on Evans at the finish of Sega di Ala.

I think the poll was made before Evans announced his participation in the Giro.

gruppeto993 said:
every time I hear about people pointing out how weak of a field last year's Giro had, I realize how big of an opportunity it would have been for Frank Schleck to win a grand tour.

Frank is like his brother he can't do a good TT and his opportunity to win a grand tour is long gone. He has moments of brilliance and then very ordinary. Not consistent enough.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Looks like Hesjedal,Scarponi and Betancur are more than ready for the show!
Still have my fingers crossed for Nibali ...and Pozzovivo to recover before the start.
It should be a great race.Viva il Giro:D

Edit:Nibali is still leading the poll!

ILovecycling said:
Looks like Hesjedal,Scarponi and Betancur are more than ready for the show!
Still have my fingers crossed for Nibali ...and Pozzovivo to recover before the start.
It should be a great race.Viva il Giro:D

Edit:Nibali is still leading the poll!

Indeed, many seem to be rounding into form nicely. Astana and Garmin will hopefully give Wiggo more than he and Sky can handle and we'll have a Cracking race!

Go Shark!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hesjedal did fire a warning shot today

Yep, he looked very good out there. And all that time on the front probably gave him some good training which he needs heading into the Giro. Looks like he's out to prove his win last year wasn't just a fluke.

Afrank said:
Yep, he looked very good out there. And all that time on the front probably gave him some good training which he needs heading into the Giro. Looks like he's out to prove his win last year wasn't just a fluke.

Looked strong today but hills are very different to mountains. Will be interesting to see what he can do once Nibali and Wiggins start drilling it.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
greenedge said:
No Bouhanni for the TDF, maybe?
Casar, Jeannesson and Roux can hunt for stage wins.
It will be interesting to see how Le Bon and Mourey perform too.
All in all, FDJ have a strong team who should get 1 stage win.

Demare and Bouhanii in the same team couldn't co exist in my opinion. Bouhanii is quite selfish too, so say if the team was supposed to work for Demare at the end, he'd probably try his own chances instead.

It's good and necessary to split them up in the major races imo.

theyoungest said:
Nibali isn't a better climber than Hesjedal. You'll see.

Not a better TT rider either but for some reason many people see the Giro as a match race between Wiggins and Nibali. As defending champ in a race he loves, Ryder will be hard to beat. All three riders have improved a lot over the past season so it's going to be a great race and hopefully Gesink, Evans and co will also make a race of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS