• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia, Stage 1: Napoli - Napoli, 130 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Ferminal said:
PROFIL.jpg

PROFIL.jpg

That was good for a lol :D

May 9, 2012
Visit site
A prologue instead of the TTT could well have ended up giving Wiggins more time on others and thus enforcing more parade. Except for AG2R and Pozzovivo ofc and Euskaltel and Samu probably.

Prologue > TTT.

And I kind of expect godawful stages at the start of the Tour, just as I expect godawful pacing from it, like when they keep putting totally featureless flat transition stages on the penultimate weekend and all the key mountain stages on weekdays.

I also forgot how annoyed I am that the big key-note climb of the race is the Galibier. Awful. People have been fired for less.

Libertine Seguros said:
Prologue > TTT.

And I kind of expect godawful stages at the start of the Tour, just as I expect godawful pacing from it, like when they keep putting totally featureless flat transition stages on the penultimate weekend and all the key mountain stages on weekdays.

I also forgot how annoyed I am that the big key-note climb of the race is the Galibier. Awful. People have been fired for less.
The last five years we've had three with a TTT and a flat stage and two with a prologue and a flat stage.

It's not like there's anything particular worse about this year.

roundabout said:
going by your definition of a weekend for me it would be 30km of Pescara stage at best, a TT which as time goes on I tend to find more and more boring and Firenze where not a lot will happen
Everything gets more boring as you overanalyze it. That TT looks quite interesting, at least I've never seen anything like it. Very technical (and beautiful) first half, straightforward second half, and then finishing up a 3 k climb.

What more can we expect from a second weekend? A great hilly stage, a long varied great ITT and then a middle mountain/hilly stage.

The only thing missing is a real mountain stage (with a descent finish).

I'd give the second weekend 8/10.

As for the opening weekend, the best thing we could hope for would be something like in '08. More often we'll just have a flat stage and either a prologue, a TTT or another flat stage.

Two bad stages, but if stage 1 was like originally planned, then it would have been an above-average first weekend.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
What more can we expect from a second weekend? A great hilly stage, a long varied great ITT and then a middle mountain/hilly stage.

The only thing missing is a real mountain stage (with a descent finish).

I'd give the second weekend 8/10.

This?

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_13.jpg

2011-giro-ditalia-stage-14-profile.jpg

stage_15_profile_600.jpg

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
What an awful route. This is supposed to be a GT. The first weekend couldn't BE any more insulting. "Oh, we're going to have a short, waste of time stage to make sure a sprinter gets to wear the maglia rosa like they don't already get too much glory, then we're going to have a TTT to make sure that the guys who are normally disadvantaged anyway are disadvantaged MORE just in the sake of sating those foolish enough to be sucked in by the argument that "it looks kinda cool".

I don't think I've ever felt so apathetic to the start of the Giro. It's the Giro! It should be about drama, epic battles in the mountains, excitement! Instead we start with a worthless parade, and I don't know if I can even be bothered to tune in. That's a really sad indictment of professional cycling in 2013.

Acquarone is pandering a lot to the riders.

This was a tactic to try and get the best sprinters like Kittel and Greipel here by giving them this token gesture to have the possibility of wearing pink. The route is a lot more watered down from the Zomegnan days especially the length of some of the stages but I am not surprised at any of this now. I loved the stage in T-A where Sagan won the penultimate stage but afterwards Acquarone on twitter said it was too extreme and apologised to the riders for it which makes me think he's more worried by riders deciding to go to P-N in future if he persevered with stages like that. And I think he has the same thinking with the Giro now where if he thinks if he goes too extreme he won't get a high class field who will be too worried about being fatigued for the Tour. Zomegnan would never think along those lines and would respect the best traditions of the Giro and wouldn't worry in the slightest how the riders felt about it either. Sadly that's missing now.

gooner said:
Acquarone is pandering a lot to the riders.

This was a tactic to get the best sprinters here in the hope he could also get the likes of Kittel and Greipel here by giving them this token gesture to have the possibility of wearing Pink. The route is a lot more watered down from the Zomegnan days especially the length of some of the stages but I am not surprised at any of this now. I loved the stage in T-A where Sagan won the penultimate stage but afterwards Acquarone on twitter said it was too extreme and apologised to the riders for it which makes me think he's more worried by riders deciding to go to P-N in future if he persevered with stages like that. And I think he has the same thinking with the Giro now where if he thinks if he goes too extreme he won't get a high class field who will be too worried about being fatigued for the Tour. Zomegnan would never think along those lines and would respect the best traditions of the Giro and wouldn't worry in the slightest how the riders felt about it either. Sadly that's missing now.
I see you forgot 2009 already.

brilleaben said:
A prologue instead of the TTT could well have ended up giving Wiggins more time on others and thus enforcing more parade. Except for AG2R and Pozzovivo ofc and Euskaltel and Samu probably.

If he earns time in the prologue he earns time in the prologue. It's an individual classiment. A ttt is giving people random times that have nothing to do with their actual ability.

Is Ryder starting in pink?

Libertine Seguros said:
What an awful route. This is supposed to be a GT. The first weekend couldn't BE any more insulting. "Oh, we're going to have a short, waste of time stage to make sure a sprinter gets to wear the maglia rosa like they don't already get too much glory, then we're going to have a TTT to make sure that the guys who are normally disadvantaged anyway are disadvantaged MORE just in the sake of sating those foolish enough to be sucked in by the argument that "it looks kinda cool".

I don't think I've ever felt so apathetic to the start of the Giro. It's the Giro! It should be about drama, epic battles in the mountains, excitement! Instead we start with a worthless parade, and I don't know if I can even be bothered to tune in. That's a really sad indictment of professional cycling in 2013.
Fantastic post as always.

Netserk said:
2009 is greatly underrated.

I do understand that it's far from the best, but it really isn't that bad.

it was the centenary. and we got a final week with a Mtf of 70 kms and a final Mtf with only one climb. On friday.
The Dolomites were ridicoulus. The Cima Coppi was Sestriere. The route was taylor made for one rider.

Netserk said:
2009 is greatly underrated.

I do understand that it's far from the best, but it really isn't that bad.

He wasn't saying it was bad. Though he might hold that opinion too he was replying to this
Zomegnan would never think along those lines and would respect the best traditions of the Giro and wouldn't worry in the slightest how the riders felt about it either. Sadly that's missing now.

Libertine Seguros said:

Have you actually looked at the route of the first week?

TRENDING THREADS