• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia, Stage 1: Napoli - Napoli, 130 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes. Stage 1 is a worthless flat stage, stage 2 is a TTT, which should be 4x shorter and take place on a velodrome. Stage 3 looks quite interesting until you realise the climb averages less than 4% so will probably be a sprint of a reduced bunch. Stage 4 looks reasonably interesting, we're talking about 10km at 5,5%, but not much in the way of lead-in and 6km of flat in to the finish so I expect a sprint of the elites where the only attacks are from peripheral riders or stagehunters and it's eventually won in a sprint by somebody like Evans, Scarponi or one of Sky's Colombians - but at least the trimming of the GC so that you're not left with every single rider trying to protect their goals and get to the front causing crashes all week like at the Tour the last couple of years. Hopefully Montescaglioso can tempt somebody to give us a few kilometres of action. Stage 6 is an utterly valueless waste of a day, but stage 7 makes up for it with a real tough up-and-down all day type of stage.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Eshnar said:
I see you forgot 2009 already.

Fair point and for instance even without the protest the Milan criterium was a poor decision on Zomegnan's part. But where Zomegnan is different from Acquarone is he learnt from it and came back strong both in 2010 and 2011. I already said Acquarone gave in with the slightest of protest from riders in T-A this year whereas contrast that with Zomegnan who told riders just don't come in future in response to the ones who complained about the severity of the route in 2011.

I also don't hold out much hope for the start in Ireland either next year. It has all the potential to be a Denmark all over again.

Libertine Seguros said:
Yes. Stage 1 is a worthless flat stage, stage 2 is a TTT, which should be 4x shorter and take place on a velodrome. Stage 3 looks quite interesting until you realise the climb averages less than 4% so will probably be a sprint of a reduced bunch. Stage 4 looks reasonably interesting, we're talking about 10km at 5,5%, but not much in the way of lead-in and 6km of flat in to the finish so I expect a sprint of the elites where the only attacks are from peripheral riders or stagehunters and it's eventually won in a sprint by somebody like Evans, Scarponi or one of Sky's Colombians - but at least the trimming of the GC so that you're not left with every single rider trying to protect their goals and get to the front causing crashes all week like at the Tour the last couple of years. Hopefully Montescaglioso can tempt somebody to give us a few kilometres of action. Stage 6 is an utterly valueless waste of a day, but stage 7 makes up for it with a real tough up-and-down all day type of stage.

Your opinion sounds like there shouldn't be any stages for sprinters in a GT. For me this route looks balanced and interesting.

Expecting this:

Le+Tour+Crashes.jpg

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Harmon is missing a lot of big races, I don't like the new commentator. Do you think Sky are looking to sign him for their cycling coverage?

shinoda13 said:
Your opinion sounds like there shouldn't be any stages for sprinters in a GT. For me this route looks balanced and interesting.

Sprinters should have to earn the right to duke it out, not get stages just handed to them for the sake of the organisers not being bothered to think up anything interesting.

Also, if they must persist with totally worthless stages which could be just as effective by having a 1km drag race prologue like they did in 2005, then they shouldn't put those stages on at the weekend.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Sprinters should have to earn the right to duke it out, not get stages just handed to them for the sake of the organisers not being bothered to think up anything interesting.

Also, if they must persist with totally worthless stages which could be just as effective by having a 1km drag race prologue like they did in 2005, then they shouldn't put those stages on at the weekend.

You can't go too hard on the first stage of a grand tour, too many riders, too many nerves. This stage is fine.

Sometimes wonder how many guys on here actually ever ride a bike, clean racing means you cant treat riders like robots. Yes they could have had short prologue, which would just hand jersey to beat prologue rather instead the best sprinter can earn it.

Hardly expect them to go up a cat 1 climb from day one.