• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro d'Italia Stage 12: Longarone → Treviso (134km)

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
I don´t believe he´s training too hard, because he knows himself quite well, and knows how to prepare. It´s actually quite similar for all of them. I´d say, from day 10 on, within a GT, it really starts to get hard, because the body calls for rest, and you know it´s still long.

The GC contenders all start the GTs with already low body fat percentages, 8 percent at the maximum, some even 6%. During the three weeks, you lose another 1, 2 or 3 percent points, and finish with 3-5 percent.

And, importantly, they all have good regeneration skills as well as a great immune system. But in case this system becomes influenced by a crash or even a slight virus, you won´t get it out before the end of the three weeks.

Only advantage they have during a GT: it´s a peak competition, something they have as a target. So they already enter it with low body fat, and so are allowed to refill their carbohydrate threshold every day - they even have to.

That´s different to the preparation periods in the spring: there, it´s even colder, and if a rider has to lose weight in February, March or April, he spends larger amounts of time (weeks) with never really full glycogen levels (only exception: important prep races). That´s bad for the immune system. But if you get ill in this period, you can rest a few days. In a GT, you can´t.

8%? I'm a amateur and i was measured 9% once without special training ore anything. They are 3/4%..

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
webbie146 said:
Nibali is 63/64 kg not a huge difference.

da-fuq.jpg

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
it's you who is trolling my friend. so there are different sicknesses and just wiggins has that one sickness that makes him not follow on the flat? oh lol :eek:

Your the biggest troll of all time Ryo the best ITT cant follow his team on the flat, so something is clearly wrong. No doubt you will say what about Henao, well newsflash their is diff type's of illness.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
webbie146 said:
8%? I'm a amateur and i was measured 9% once without special training ore anything. They are 3/4%..

You might have good genetics, for sure.

3-4% is what they´ll have after three weeks.

Pro bodybuilders have 3% when they are on stage. They have this from Thurday to Saturday evening (if the show is on Saturday). Lowest bodybuilder values seem to have been 2,5-3%. Below 2,5%, it gets hard to even survive, as lower as you get.

All a pro bodybuilder has to do is to pose and show muscles on a 22 degree celsius warm stage in a closed room. Pro cyclists have to ride ca. 1000 km during week 3 of a GT, with 3-4% body fat, and after two weeks of racing, 2000 kms. That´s how hard this is. No soccer player comes even close to it. :eek:

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
You might have good genetics, for sure.

3-4% is what they´ll have after three weeks.

Pro bodybuilders have 3% when they are on stage. They have this from Thurday to Saturday evening (if the show is on Saturday). Lowest bodybuilder values seem to have been 2,5-3%. Below 2,5%, it gets hard to even survive, as lower as you get.

All a pro bodybuilder has to do is to pose and show muscles on a 22 degree celsius warm stage in a closed room. Pro cyclists have to ride ca. 1000 km during week 3 of a GT, with 3-4% body fat, and after two weeks of racing, 2000 kms. That´s how hard this is. No soccer player comes even close to it. :eek:

Thanks for the information, interesting :) And about the genetics part, yeah maybe :)

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
lol no professional cyclist is below 4%, maybe at the end of a gt

Right, my friend :)

And concerning Evans, I also agree. I´ve been wondering for a long time why Ferrari hasn´t worked on Evans´ arms, to make them skinnier. He (Ferrari) even wrote some day on his website "53x12" how this is normally done (clinic issue), but seems not to have worked for Cadel. But didn´t work for Lance, either, who also didn´t manage to get his arms skinnier during all his career.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand what Sky were doing. When coverage first picked up that Wiggins had dropped back, he was with 4 or 5 Sky team mates. Fair enough, looked like they were with him to help him get back. Then a few km later Wiggins was by himself, 2 other non-Sky sitting on his wheel, looking like he was suffering. Seemed like Sky had abandoned him.

Some km after that, teammates were back with Wiggins, and they were working to shelter him and try to pull back time, all the way to the end.

What happened in the middle? How/why did they leave him exposed? In a situation like that you don't just go from 4 teammates to no teammates by accident - they couldn't just pull away not knowing they were leaving him - did they get some word (from Wiggins??) that Wiggins was done and to go ahead, then a change of mind or an order from the car to go back and help him?

whittashau said:
I thought Scarponi was in the Wiggins group due to a mechanical? Did he somehow bridge, or was he never that far back?

I think Scarponi changed bike with a teammate. Because at one moment you saw Scarponi's bike (with a rider on it, yes really) drop back after the Wiggins group. But the guy on that bike already didnt look like Scarponi so it must have been a bike change with a teammate.

autologous said:
I don't understand what Sky were doing. When coverage first picked up that Wiggins had dropped back, he was with 4 or 5 Sky team mates. Fair enough, looked like they were with him to help him get back. Then a few km later Wiggins was by himself, 2 other non-Sky sitting on his wheel, looking like he was suffering. Seemed like Sky had abandoned him.

Some km after that, teammates were back with Wiggins, and they were working to shelter him and try to pull back time, all the way to the end.

What happened in the middle? How/why did they leave him exposed? In a situation like that you don't just go from 4 teammates to no teammates by accident - they couldn't just pull away not knowing they were leaving him - did they get some word (from Wiggins??) that Wiggins was done and to go ahead, then a change of mind or an order from the car to go back and help him?

Often when is raining as hard as it was the best position is on the front. There so much splash back that sitting in a wheel is worse than the advantage of the draft.

Generally having teammates is moral support.

He was broken. Nothing his teammates could do with him.

The decent got him again.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
Right, my friend :)

And concerning Evans, I also agree. I´ve been wondering for a long time why Ferrari hasn´t worked on Evans´ arms, to make them skinnier. He (Ferrari) even wrote some day on his website "53x12" how this is normally done (clinic issue), but seems not to have worked for Cadel. But didn´t work for Lance, either, who also didn´t manage to get his arms skinnier during all his career.

He did? interesting can u link me to that article/post?

autologous said:

They didn't realise they had dropped him. He looked to have an empty tank. Then they stopped and waited for him. They didn't make up much time chasing back, they lost more time I think.