• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro d'Italia Stage 14: Cervere - Bardonecchia 168KM

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Only just watched the highlights,ie,last 4k, on sky sports. Nibali's nod to santy so much more visible on eurosport hd. In fact, on a computer would be hard to notice. The advantage of hd has been brought home, cycling styley. On a different point, if di luca were to win a stage the podium music would make the girls redundant. All that'd be needed was a mirror [the Kiss song].

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
cocteau_ireland said:
Only just watched the highlights,ie,last 4k, on sky sports. Nibali's nod to santy so much more visible on eurosport hd. In fact, on a computer would be hard to notice. The advantage of hd has been brought home, cycling styley. On a different point, if di luca were to win a stage the podium music would make the girls redundant. All that'd be needed was a mirror [the Kiss song].

Just seen it myself on Sky.

Whether you like him or not, Di Luca done great work for Santambrogio, whose climbing looks effortless at the moment. He has to be the most improved rider of the season and I look forward to seeing what he can do tomorrow and the end of the next week.

Betancur is an insane talent and if he can develop his TT skills to limit his losses, he is a future GT winner. Love watching him ride at the moment.

Big fail on Gesink's part and I don't think he has it in him to live up to the early expectations that he once had.

webbie146 said:
I agree with u. I find the statement from them that 'it was going to fast so I couldn't get more clothes on' kinda weird. Like a extra sleeve is gonna do anything for the last 7km. He should be wearing more clothes the whole stage/

It's cascading misery when one cracks. Not that I've ever done it at the elite level, but boy I've been there on nobody/nowhere rides and races.

When you are riding so hard/fast you don't want to mess up the rhythm, get attacked, or about a dozen other things that could happen in that scenario and end your day somewhere on a monster climb with maybe half an hour of riding left only to then lose minutes to your rivals trying to find your tempo again.

It's one of the nightmare scenarios these climbing stages encourage.

The Hitch said:
Thats very wishful thinking. Even on his great day on Galibier 2 years ago he didnt attack but pulled at the front and plenty of riders - Rolland Voeckler Frank Schleck, Basso held on the whole climb.

The one stage he dropped Andy it wasnt his attack either but 3 Contador attacks and Evans again held on.

Your memory is playing tricks. After sitting on Evans for the entire climb, Voeckler and Basso were dropped near the top of the climb. Frank sprinted past Evans after contributing nothing, Rolland was still there after doing one or two pulls until Thomas called him back. The climb was cross and headwind so Evans and Andy both had to work very hard. The next day on the Alpe, Evans attacked Andy three times but was pulled back each time. At the end of the stage Evans crossed the line and Andy was hanging off the fence exhausted. I knew then that Andy would struggle in the TT. Evans had no reason to chase Contador and Andy was the one in Yellow. Don't try and make out that Evans never attacks as it is BS. Andy's big mistake was not letting Contador go on the Alpe stage. He was never going to stay away on his own. Same for Voeckler. Voeckler cost himself a podium by exhausting himself before they hit the Alpe, and Andy, cost himself any chance of winning. Evans only chased because the others did. It was nicely set up for Evans by two riders not known for being tactically smart. That said I don't expect any heroics by Evans this year simply because in 2011 he was in the best form of his career. I hope he hangs in there and rides well in the TT. Not bad for a 36 year old.

TRENDING THREADS