• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro d'Italia Stage 14: Cervere - Bardonecchia 168KM

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
So, I was wondering about Sonny Colbrelli since I hadn't heard of him before and according to wikipedia he's a sprinter, yet he finished top 10? Is this typical wikipedia douchbaggery, or has he transformed himself within the last year? Or is he the next Sagan?

whittashau said:
So, I was wondering about Sonny Colbrelli since I hadn't heard of him before and according to wikipedia he's a sprinter, yet he finished top 10? Is this typical wikipedia douchbaggery, or has he transformed himself within the last year? Or is he the next Sagan?
He is a sprinter. Usually Modolo's last leadout man.

The only reason he finished top 10 today is that he was the strongest from the early breakaway (which only included non-climbers). Given that he started the climb with an advantage of 5 minutes, the performance is less impressive.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Dan Lloyd just said this on twitter.

Daniel Lloyd ‏@daniellloyd1 5m
If you want to see the ENTIRE final climb of today's giro stage, tune into Sky Sports 1 now...

I won't be able to watch now so will record instead.

Heads up for anyone though.

I thought we wouldn't be able to see it all in the end.

whittashau said:

Paolini came in 19th, +1:41

Both were part of the break.

They could smell the stage win. Gave everything, don't think one can deduct too many things from it.

edit: redundant

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Spicco said:
He is a sprinter. Usually Modolo's last leadout man.

The only reason he finished top 10 today is that he was the strongest from the early breakaway (which only included non-climbers). Given that he started the climb with an advantage of 5 minutes, the performance is less impressive.

okay, that makes a lot of sense

May 28, 2012
Visit site
whittashau said:
Di Luca was quite impressive on the climb working for Santa. Nibbles looks to be in the best shape I've ever seen him in

Nibali was really comfortable in the end, gifting a stage while checking his SRM. He must have some extra watts up his sleeve :eek:

jaylew said:
Looks like Samu is riding into some form. I think he may get his stage at some point.

Kinda sad about Gesink. I always figured he'd eventually get it together and be at least a podium player in GTs but it's just not happening for him.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jafferau-climb-reveals-the-madness-and-bravery-of-the-giro-ditalia

this explains more. Gesink was totally frozen. Scarponi suffered a lot too. It's sad though. Gesinks GT so far was pretty much perfect, no falls, good preparation.. but if you have too many weaknesses... then it's useless. gesink is not explosive, prone to falls and cold weather.. too much weaknesses for a GT rider

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jafferau-climb-reveals-the-madness-and-bravery-of-the-giro-ditalia

this explains more. Gesink was totally frozen. Scarponi suffered a lot too. It's sad though. Gesinks GT so far was pretty much perfect, no falls, good preparation.. but if you have too many weaknesses... then it's useless. gesink is not explosive, prone to falls and cold weather.. too much weaknesses for a GT rider

I agree with u. I find the statement from them that 'it was going to fast so I couldn't get more clothes on' kinda weird. Like a extra sleeve is gonna do anything for the last 7km. He should be wearing more clothes the whole stage/

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Maybe he can get his stage Kreuziger style. Would be better than a top 5 imo if thats what he was on his way to.

TRENDING THREADS