2013 Giro D'Italia, Stage:3 Sorrento - Marina Di Ascea 222 kms

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
maxmartin said:
when everyone expect you to attack, the chance for success is minimal. And he did put Angolli ahead serving the purpose to observe whether other big favorites have difficulty to follow. Maybe he assessed the situation, decide it did not justify the energy. Plus tomorrow is a hard stage, maybe he planed to do something over there.
Yea on that climb Nibali will do something :rolleyes:

It screams SKY TRAIN

JRanton said:
Henao was with Wiggins pretty much the whole way from the initial Hesjedal attack on the climb. I'm not sure how he lost time because I saw him together with Wiggins and Uran only a few km from the finish.

I've no idea what OPQS were up today. Top placed finisher: Golas - at 50 seconds down. :rolleyes:
Henao only rolled in 20" back so if he was baulked by the crash or just lost a bit of contact and found himself alone it's easy to see how he could have lost a bit of time in the run-in bearing in mind he's not a protected rider. He still did well enough when you consider that the group at 50" included Betancur, Pozzovivo, Morabito, Pellizotti, and Visconti (who I include not as a GC threat but because he's a pretty useful descender and he led over the summit).

Jul 29, 2012
maxmartin said:
save the energy to follow the SKY train, better than dropped by SKY train:p
In that case Nibali is not the man a lot of the people in this forum claim he is.

Take each chance that presents itself, right?

He failed today. Maybe not good legs, ok but that's already not a good sign.

JRanton said:
Henao was with Wiggins pretty much the whole way from the initial Hesjedal attack on the climb. I'm not sure how he lost time because I saw him together with Wiggins and Uran only a few km from the finish.

I've no idea what OPQS were up today. Top placed finisher: Golas - at 50 seconds down. :rolleyes:
I saw a very quick shot on TV of Henao re-starting on his bike after a sharp curve towards the end of the stage. I assume he overcooked it. Did not seem to be bad but enough to loose precious seconds.

May 19, 2011
Miburo said:
In that case Nibali is not the man a lot of the people in this forum claim he is.

Like I said you think is a chance, in his assessment at that particular moment maybe it is not a chance.Bike race will be so boring if every attack and move is predictable. And using one stage to judge the reputation of a rider is just so naive and laughable.

Jul 11, 2009
Ruudz0r said:
millarmind For anybody that thinks @ryder_hesjedal wasted energy today, he just said to me, and I quote, "It wasn't even hard"
On other threads it was posited that Garmin had screwed up their PR leading up to the Giro, since they were getting so little coverage for their reigning Giro champ compared to Wiggins/Nibali. Garmin made up some ground in that particular area - you think Ryder is getting some extra press today?

pastronef said:
well, he said usually the break gets like 9 or 10 minutes and it's up to the sprinters team to do the chase. he said they wasted energy and at the end they let Wiggo almost alone, just Uran with him

obviously he's angry 'cause his rider got caught, one can understand him :eek:
Henao was always with him not Uran. Then Uran joined. But Henao had a mishap towards the end of the stage. Henao was never dropped before his mishap.

White jersey GC:

1 ARU Fabio ITA AST 9:05:37 0:00
2 MAJKA Rafal POL TST 9:06:06 0:29
3 BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos A. COL ALM 9:06:13 0:36
4 KELDERMAN Wilco NED BLA 9:06:53 1:16
5 ROSA Diego ITA AND 9:06:56 1:19
6 BONGIORNO Francesco Manuel ITA BAR 9:07:06 1:29
7 ATAPUMA HURTADO Darwin COL COL 9:07:21 1:44
8 BATTAGLIN Enrico ITA BAR 9:07:59 2:22
9 FELLINE Fabio ITA AND 9:09:01 3:24
10 PANTANO Jarlinson COL COL 9:09:53 4:16
11 PUCCIO Salvatore ITA SKY 9:11:38 6:01
12 DOWSETT Alex GBR MOV 9:13:09 7:32
13 CATTANEO Mattia ITA LAM 9:13:22 7:45

Some guys got whacked a bit today.

Mar 17, 2012
Machado, Machado, Machado, I only read Machado in this forum...

Today, Hondo finished slightly in front of him. Hondo is a beast, anyways. After Saturday and today, he already justified his Giro spot.

Didn´t see it, but must´ve been a great stage. Hats off to hard man Paolini.

Sagan will have had sweaty fingers at home... Tailormade stage for him. ;)

Jan 4, 2013
Escarabajo said:
I saw a very quick shot on TV of Henao re-starting on his bike after a sharp curve towards the end of the stage. I assume he overcooked it. Did not seem to be bad but enough to loose precious seconds.
From Team Sky race report

"Sergio had a small crash on the descent which was a shame but he finished just off the lead group."

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Sky sending riders other than Wiggins up the road has 0 credibility - absolutely no one believes that anyone other than Wiggins winning would be a win for Sky.
:confused: I'd actually guess that most people disagree with you.
theyoungest said:
I'm sure if Henao happens to win the Giro, it's all good for Sky. You think that if Henao is riding in front with a few minutes advantage they'll tell him to stop? They may not be the strongest team tactically, that would be utter stupidity.
agreed.
Waterloo Sunrise said:
You however seem to think Sky could credibly send Henao off to help Wiggins, when no one will believe they mean the move if Wiggins is still in the game.
It doesn't matter what anyone believes. Time is time, and if Henao or Uran got enough of it there would be no choice.

That said, I doubt Sky will employ that technique

May 4, 2013
That was a very good stage! Will need to watch again later but very happy to see Paolini in pink.

Kudos to Ryder for turning up volume and Kudos to old Cadel showing he still sprints for the line like a champ. :D

Nibs is still my man though. I think many of us expected him to make time on the descent and hoped he would get bonus points today. Maybe it was too obvious a stage for him to go all out. Not worried. He has plans to surprise I am sure but this stage was too highly anticipated.

Mar 13, 2009
RHRH19861986 said:
Today, Hondo finished slightly in front of him. Hondo is a beast, anyways. After Saturday and today, he already justified his Giro spot.
True! When I saw his result first I thought there was some sort of mistake!

Super stage. Hesjedal rode with his heart today, though a real pity that Nibali probably didn't have the legs to really try something and instead let his team pull back Ryder.

Also very nice to see neo-pro Wauters in maglia azzurra tomorrow.

Pippo_San said:
RABOBLANCOFAIL: you can always count of them for a big fail!!!

Scarponi surely does! :D
Meh, Kruijswijk fell, Gesink did well to almost completely dodge him. And you disregard the fact that Gesink was actually with the best uphill today. He never looked into trouble unlike Evans/Sacnhez for instance who were dropped momentarily.

Gesink is actually looking strong. You better hope he falls harder than today or you're going to end up with egg on your face

the sceptic said:
Entertaining stage today. Hopefully there will be lots of action between the GC riders tomorrow too.

Hesjedal looks strong. He attacked like 4 times :eek:
Hesjedal looked strong, but I think he's wasting his energy too early. Not in a stage like this anyway. Even Nibali kept his calm more or less, says enough.

Jul 29, 2012
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Meh, Kruijswijk fell, Gesink did well to almost completely dodge him. And you disregard the fact that Gesink was actually with the best uphill today. He never looked into trouble unlike Evans/Sacnhez for instance who were dropped momentarily.

Gesink is actually looking strong. You better hope he falls harder than today or you're going to end up with egg on your face
Don't celebrate too early. He still might drop hard in the mountains.

Miburo said:
Don't celebrate too early. He still might drop hard in the mountains.
I don't think so. It's usually even these low percentage hills where he looks horrible and drops.

He didn't. So I see that as a good sign. But having already fallen once it will be terrible to see the next downhills :eek:

Jun 18, 2012
Miburo said:

Nibali disappointed me today. He had Agnoli and I'm pretty sure Hesjedal was expecting to work with the Astana guys. Maybe Nibali decided not to attack with Hesjedal because he's riding for 2nd.

Viking said:
Nibali disappointed me today. He had Agnoli and I'm pretty sure Hesjedal was expecting to work with the Astana guys. Maybe Nibali decided not to attack with Hesjedal because he's riding for 2nd.
you should re watch the race- because Nibbs did force the selection along with Hesjedal- but he was wise enough not to keep pulling on the last Kms where it was evident the descent was not steep & long enough to attempt such move-that's why he sent Agnoli first to see the other's reactions....

ASK THE COMMUNITY