• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro d'Italia Stage 7: San Salvo - Pescara 177km

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
If Wiggo is ill/bad form/not up for it then it really was dumb pulling both Uran and Henao back

I just don't get Sky sometimes their whole ethos comes across as dogmatic/blinkered.

They had the best DS in the game and on Weds night he was watching me and 50 other MAMILs in a vets race wtf?! I think Wiggo is really missing Sean and Shane...

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Wiggo was al ready dropped in the climb though

and Nibali + crashing descended faster in the penultimate descent than Wiggins.

I don't like the fact that rain and crashing plays a part in deciding the GC, but Wiggins was al ready dropped in the final climb, not just because of crashing in the rain and not daring to descend.
If that was really true Sky did not have to send the two Colombians to help him because Wiggo was already showing physical weakness.:mad:

Cramps said:
OK, quick estimate to get a feel for Wiggins task.

IS WIGGINS DOOMED?

Let's say he can do the TT 2kph faster than Nibali.
Let's say Nibali can do the 55 km TT in something like an average speed of 45 kph.

In that case, Wiggins would gain about 3 minutes on him.
Even if Wiggins is 1 kph faster than Nibali, he gains over 1' 30".

Granted Wiggins isn't in top form, but I would think much too early to write him off.

But rest of the Giro is not flat.

He's head is gone. Borgs are great when their all on the front punching 460w for 5 hours.

They go to pieces in the rain or when an unexpected event occurs.

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Cramps said:
OK, quick estimate to get a feel for Wiggins task.

IS WIGGINS DOOMED?

Let's say he can do the TT 2kph faster than Nibali.
Let's say Nibali can do the 55 km TT in something like an average speed of 45 kph.

In that case, Wiggins would gain about 3 minutes on him.
Even if Wiggins is 1 kph faster than Nibali, he gains over 1' 30".

Granted Wiggins isn't in top form, but I would think much too early to write him off.

I'm not gonna write him off, you'd be silly to do that with 2 weeks still remaining, but surely he's gonna have to reassess his tactics for the rest of the Giro now.

Even if he takes back that 1.30, or maybe even puts a few more seconds into Nibali, it's gonna be a hell of a lot less time than I bet he was expecting to have in hand at this point.

Can he now hold off Nibali through the mountains with such a reduced buffer?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Wiggo was al ready dropped in the climb though

and Nibali + crashing descended faster in the penultimate descent than Wiggins.

I don't like the fact that rain and crashing plays a part in deciding the GC, but Wiggins was al ready dropped in the final climb, not just because of crashing in the rain and not daring to descend.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that he doesn't have much race legs before the Giro? The giro started like furios since day 1. I was wondering if just training in altitude has an advantage of getting the race rhytm?

DiscoPants said:
I'm not gonna write him off, you'd be silly to do that with 2 weeks still remaining, but surely he's gonna have to reassess his tactics for the rest of the Giro now.

Even if he takes back that 1.30, or maybe even puts a few more seconds into Nibali, it's gonna be a hell of a lot less time than I bet he was expecting to have in hand at this point.

Can he now hold off Nibali through the mountains with such a reduced buffer?

Nibali is not the only opponent he'll have to face.

There are plenty of contenders at this point. Ryder looks great, Cuddles too. And what about Blanco?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
DiscoPants said:
BBC Journalists just spoke to Brailsford...

Simon Brotherton ‏@SimonBrotherton 11m
Brailsford on Wiggins crash in the rain "Could have been worse. A set back but not disastrous." He's 23rd overall now @ 1 min 32 secs.

Simon Brotherton ‏@SimonBrotherton 9m
Brailsford. "We're going to be more aggressive now...etc...Take the race by the scruff of the neck & show some character." #giro

Simon Brotherton ‏@SimonBrotherton 21m
Sir Dave Brailsford tells @bbc5live
no physical damage for Sir Bradley Wiggins after his crash at the Giro today.

Good. At least for once, anything involve with wiggin, we don't need to rely on ITT. I hope the Giro will be won through decending :p

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Nibali is not the only opponent he'll have to face.

There are plenty of contenders at this point. Ryder looks great, Cuddles too. And what about Blanco?

You're right, I was just being a bit lazy and using his name as shorthand for all the other GC contenders really.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
Missed completely the stage today. :(

Happy for Benat!
As expected Sir Wiggo was distanced.
Nibali could have done more but fell twice.
Henao and Uran chances gone down the drain courtesy of Sky and Wiggins
Hesjedal, Evans and Gesink looking good.

He did? I only saw him crash once in that decent? Did he crash again?

Le Baroudeur said:
And in other news...

Rafal Majka goes unnoticed, but looked strong today, moving ahead of Wiggo in GC and into the Maglia Bianca :)

Good showing from the main white jersey contenders today:

1 MAJKA Rafal POL TST 28:31:12 0:00
2 BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos A. COL ALM 28:31:19 0:07
3 KELDERMAN Wilco NED BLA 28:31:59 0:47
4 ARU Fabio ITA AST 28:32:17 1:05
5 BATTAGLIN Enrico ITA BAR 28:32:33 1:21
6 ROSA Diego ITA AND 28:33:53 2:41
7 ATAPUMA HURTADO Darwin COL COL 28:34:01 2:49
8 BONGIORNO Francesco Manuel ITA BAR 28:40:05 8:53
9 LOCATELLI Stefano ITA BAR 28:40:11 8:59
10 PANTANO Jarlinson COL COL 28:41:28 10:16

Majka suddenly improved going downhill. What about the TT? How much time will he drop against Kelderman?

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Who is Diego Rosa? Future GC contender or just doing a good first week?

Also, according to the above results he's italian, but CQ says he is from Venezuela

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Just caught up. Wiggins looked dead today. Forget the crashing, forget the terrible descending, he had no legs. This Giro is not done and dusted but he can't afford any more bad days, especially tomorrow of course.