• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro d'Italia Stage 7: San Salvo - Pescara 177km

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
HiCadence said:
Oh you mean like when Niballi and co dropped Wiggins in the mountains of last years Tour??

I don't think Wiggins is at the same level of form as last year's Tour. His results leading up to the Giro I think are examples of this. Wiggins is looking at doing the Giro/Tour double while Nibali is focused solely on the Giro.

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
boladelmundo said:
Left or right? On TV it looked the left one and the way he bent his left knee was a bit unusual to my eyes.

David Walsh
‏@DavidWalshST
Wiggins has just walked past with an ice pack on his right knee but looking calm. The rain just bucketed down thro' last hour.

RHRH19861986 said:
The thing is, Wiggins crashed and apparently got slightly injured. If not, it at least will have been painful. Then he gets back on the bike, knows the others are going full gas to gain as much as possible. The road remains extremely slippery, though. He has pain, can´t handle the bike properly, and has to avoid another crash.
It´s clear he looked stupid on these last kms. But he is experienced enough to know this is not the end of this GC overall ambitions.

As soon as they reach the mountains, 90 secs are close to nothing..,

Riiight. But the shark was on his back and was riding away top speed instantaneously.

Wiggins doesn't have it in the head. And when they can't Borg it with the full train they go to pieces.

Angliru said:
I don't think Wiggins is at the same level of form as last year's Tour. His results leading up to the Giro I think are examples of this. Wiggins is looking at doing the Giro/Tour double while Nibali is focused solely on the Giro.

Wiggins looks out of sorts. He is riding near the back too much and is touchy about the cameras filming him. He just looks frustrated and has looked like that since he started losing time.

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
DiscoPants said:
David Walsh
‏@DavidWalshST
Wiggins has just walked past with an ice pack on his right knee but looking calm. The rain just bucketed down thro' last hour.

Thanks, I was wrong. I thought it was his left knee. Never mind.

jens_attacks said:
today they could have destroyed wiggins. 5 minutes at least
for the most time they were cowards

only killer woke them up

vini fantini's tactics were unbearable today. sending taborre instead of putting him to chase the breakaway was epic fail

in my opinion in this moment, the giro is open for everybody. caruso, di luca, pellizotti can win it
wiggo was like ricco said un morto in bici today.rarely i've seen something like this

it was a good finale but it could have been really epic

Good post..rain save them somewhat... i hope wiggins take lotsa time on them tomm.

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
I wasnt me being smug, just I felt at that time Nibali needed to arrive at the TT in top shape because he couldn't afford to lose 3 minutes to Wiggins. Obviously its easy to criticise after the stage when you have hindsight. Also Wiggo crashing anyway now gives Nibs a great chance to limit losses tomorrow.

Was probably unfair to single out your post with HiCadence far worse but I couldn't be bothered multi-quoting!

TANK91 said:
http://www.gazzetta.it/Giroditalia/2013/classifiche/it/t_07_class.shtml?lang=en

Wiggo as only lost 1:23 guys, ok its not great but if he does a great ITT and gains over 2 mins in the ITT, would you guys make him fav, So he would be about 40 sec clear after that is pretty good gap imo.
This stage was probably the least suited to him of the entire race, so it's not that bad. But it's a matter of how he looks, he just looks like sh.t right now. Sky were incredibly stupid to make both Uran and Henao wait.

shinoda13 said:
This stage delivered. Attacks, crashes, rain, drama. Giro. The exciting thing is that now with Wiggins a bit behind, the battle for GC win is wide open.

This...limitless possibilities now :)

Chapeau Hansen! Courageous ride by a Hard Man!!!

Very Nice for Movistar and Intxausti. Plus he is a decent ITTer!!!

Nibs goes b*lls out and pays the price; at least he took it to them. Hope he is okay for tomorrow :( Of course beIN coverage FAILED right after he fell...picked up a stream as soon as I could.

Vini ???? can't figure them quite out LOL.

Gesink stays upright while they fall like dominos :eek:

Wiggo becomes Bradley Schleck....oh no it's slippery and downhill.....oh no. I hope he is physically okay, so there are No Excuses. And that it Rains tomorrow and he mentally cracks Again. Of course he is a good enough ITTer to take all the time back +++, but at least we'll have a bike race.

Ryder looks good but has No Team...what is with that???

Cadel looking good, tomorrow will tell us more.

Phew what a stage, certainly didn't disappoint....Giro I Love it!!!

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Rechtschreibfehler said:
Henao und Uran really buried themselves for Wiggins it seems. They didn't even make his group. Henao being 2:40 down on Hansen and Uran 2:43. Wiggins group was at 2:31. It does explain though how Wiggins made the group.

The hammered the final km for him it seemed, then Wiggins popped past and caught the last wheel of the group in front whereas they free-wheeled over the line just behind looking knackered. In reality they were only a few bike lengths behind Wiggins, but lost that extra time because they didn't make contact with the group in front.

Wiggo is down 1.32 - this is seriously good news for Evans, Hesjadel and Nibs. They can all now afford to lose 2 mins in the ITT tomorrow. It would mean they are only down a minute later which can surely be covered in the mountains.

But is this a realistic scenario at all...coz seriously Wiggins looks out of shape to me. Also on a wet day they should have surely left Uran ahead just to be amongst the leaders. Now Uran is down by a minute as well. Wiggins could have come back easily with Henao. Bad call Sky !

Now the GC race is getting more and more interesting.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Fun Fact of the Day

Only 11 guys so far havent lost time in road stages.

Wiggins doesnt seem to me like he even wants to be in this giro from the start. As days go by, it seems to me more and more he will drop out and then whine to be the leader in TDF.

Congrats to Hansen, guy really deserved it. And smashing ride as well.

Hoping for more rain tomorrow so Samu can cut the losses a bit with his superior handling skills, since he doesnt have the power in itt he used to have.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
theyoungest said:
This stage was probably the least suited to him of the entire race, so it's not that bad. But it's a matter of how he looks, he just looks like sh.t right now. Sky were incredibly stupid to make both Uran and Henao wait.

Yes he does look moody and all I agree I don't think he like's the rain. I think it's D-day tomorrow to weather Wiggo will challenge. If he gets pink tomorrow then a fool would right him off but if he only gains a min on Gesink, Nibali and Hesjedal it will go very close imo.