• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Milan-San Remo, 17 March (298km)

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
El Pistolero said:
After he failed to win stage 1 in the T-A. I'm all for Cav criticizing his team-mates in the bus, but no need to take the trash out to the media. We saw today how high the moral is of the QS boys to work for Cav. Very low.

There were no QS guys in the peloton in the end, it is not like that there was a HTC-like train but they refused to work to pull the leading group

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
burning said:
There were no QS guys in the peloton, it is not like that there was a HTC-like train but they refused to work.

Like I said, it's ok to criticize your team-mates, but do it personally and not through the press. None of these guys have much experience in a lead-out train, except perhaps Tony Martin(and Cav didn't even have the decency to give him the leader's jersey after the TTT in T-A).

May 28, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Like I said, it's ok to criticize your team-mates, but do it personally and not through the press. None of these guys have much experience in a lead-out train, except perhaps Tony Martin(and Cav didn't even have the decency to give him the leader's jersey after the TTT in T-A).

I'm glad you perfectly know what's going on inside OPQS. :rolleyes:

El Pistolero said:

He definitely made a mistake by talking to the media and dissing his teammates, thats for sure but today QS sucked besides Chavanel, I'm really surprised by Stybar though, he should have been there as poor weather should aid him big time

Well, actually, there are many former HTC riders now in OPQ, so they could be accustomed to the trains. The problem is that Cav maybe misses the last part of the train, that Renshaw and Goss used to be I think. They were like slingshot to him and he was the projectile.

RedheadDane said:
I know what DNF means... but looking through the result list it goes like this:

Randomly in the middle of everything two guys are DNFed and get a placement... :p
Tjallingii and Martens were falsely reported DNFs during the race but they were obviously still riding. That's why CN placed DNFs behind their names.

burning said:
Just dont sprint to the finish as Martin pulled pretty much all the time.
He's obviously going to get the leaders jersey the next day, so he could have let Martin to cross the line first

No, I meant would his sponsor want the team to miss out on an opportunity to allow one of the world's most marketable riders to be seen wearing the leader's jersey of a WT race?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
So lets get this straight, Tom Boonen, decided to pull out of the race, because he didnt want to work for Cav, because of something Cav said about someone else, in a race Tom Boonen wasnt even participating in?

Perhaps Cav shouldn't have insulted Boonen in Milan-San Remo 2009. ;)

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
burning said:
There were no QS guys in the peloton in the end, it is not like that there was a HTC-like train but they refused to work to pull the leading group

Vandenbergh and Terpstra might not have stayed on the bus though.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Perhaps Cav shouldn't have insulted Boonen in Milan-San Remo 2009. ;)

It was Boonen who predicted Cav would fall short in the 2009 MSR final, but in the end Boonen was even climbing worse than him. So Cav had every right to say Boonen was wrong. Did Cav even insult him at any time? :confused: Can't remember that, I thought he was just saying he proved to be better than Boonen had assumed.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
It was Boonen who predicted Cav would fall short in the 2009 MSR final, but in the end Boonen was even climbing worse than him. So Cav had every right to say Boonen was wrong. Did Cav even insult him at any time? :confused: Can't remember that, I thought he was just saying he proved to be better than Boonen had assumed.

Cav said before the race in 2009 he couldn't make it over the climbs. Boonen didn't name his as one of the favorites and that's all he ever did.

Cav however said and I quote "The best thing today was not winning MSR, but passing Boonen on the Poggio like a rock".

May 28, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Cav said before the race in 2009 he couldn't make it over the climbs. Boonen didn't name his as one of the favorites and that's all he ever did.

Cav however said and I quote "The best thing today was not winning MSR, but passing Boonen on the Poggio like a rock".

That must've hurt then. :eek: Maybe it's still an issue between the two, or maybe they've resolved it. But it wasn't an issue today ofc, Boonen's just not taking any risks.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
If Boonen had said something similar about Cav, say related to a sprint, you would have put it as a sig and would reel it out everytime a Cav fan said something about Boonen.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
If Boonen had said something similar about Cav, say related to a sprint, you would have put it as a sig and would reel it out everytime a Cav fan said something about Boonen.

Why would Boonen say something dumb like that? ;)

Anyway, my point is obvious, don't insult the people you expect to work for you. ;)