• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Paris Nice

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
That was an almost pan flat TT, except for a little bump at the end.

It's better to use the Vuelta TT as an example. He was on par with Froome and Contador on the flat/downhill, and then lost a minute to them on the climb...

I wouldn't be calling it a walk in the park for him if Contador and Froome were riding. ;)

Gesink is obviously in shape and hasn't had an injury for a while, so as long as he gets spared of bad luck during the race he should finish on the podium. This is a big goal for him during this part of the season. Anything but a podium would be a big disappointment.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
Sure, I've reshuffled my initial rating. And Kreuzinger's out.

***** Robert Gesink, Thomas de Gendt, Tejay van Garderen
**** Rui Costa, Lieuwe Westra, Nairo Quintana
*** Jean-Christophe Peraud, Andrew Talansky
** Jerome Coppel, Richie Porte, Thomas Voeckler, Denis Menchov
* Jakob Fuglsang, Andreas Kloden, Ivan Basso

U should add Roche with two or three stars imo-

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
aleale said:
My favorite for this Parigi Nizza is Van Garderen. Quintana is very strong, but needed a hardest climb. Westra i left some doubt is one of those runners who makes a good run once a year.

we have never seen him perform well on a long climb, mende and algarve were about 3km so it would be interesting to see how he performs on a 14km climb

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
This race should really be Van Garderens. I'm sure he'll want to perform here as well.

Hope so, Tejay deserves to win a stage race this season. He's been so close numerous times, I really want to see him take the top step in one. I'll be rooting for him and Quintana.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
In terms of being close to a (WT) stage race win, I think Gesink is a bit higher up the 'deserving' list.

Gesink's already won Cali and Oman, and Tejay hasn't won any stage races, so because of that I think Tejay deserves it more. Gesink I think more deserves a really good GC placing in a grand tour.
But that's just my opinion.

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
In terms of being close to a (WT) stage race win, I think Gesink is a bit higher up the 'deserving' list.

He always managed to mess up an almost certain win by choking, at least in the one week stage races.

I would reserve the term deserving for riders who had bad luck.

Afrank said:
Gesink's already won Cali and Oman, and Tejay hasn't won any stage races, so because of that I think Tejay deserves it more. Gesink I think more deserves a really good GC placing in a grand tour.
But that's just my opinion.
The only times TJVG has been 'close' to a WT stage race win was P-N (5th) and Dauphine (3rd). Gesink has been close numerous times Tour de Pologne (2nd), P-N (4th), Pais Vasco (3rd), Dauphine (4th), T-A (5th and 2nd), TdS (5th and 4th).

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Van Garderen would be the top favourite if the route included a longer time trial. I think the Col d'Eze TT won't really suit him, so he really needs a lot of luck to win it.

Having said that, it's better to wait with calling favourites until the flat stages are over, those can take out a lot of riders who were supposed to contend for GC. Echelons could change the race drastically. Only ~20 riders can be in front, so luck's needed if you don't want to be left behind.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
The only times TJVG has been 'close' to a WT stage race win was P-N (5th) and Dauphine (3rd). Gesink has been close numerous times Tour de Pologne (2nd), P-N (4th), Pais Vasco (3rd), Dauphine (4th), T-A (5th and 2nd), TdS (5th and 4th).

I was talking about stage race wins, not necessarily WT stage race wins. Where he has been close to the win in 2013 Tour de san luis (2nd, '33), 2010 Tour of Turkey (2nd, '29), 2012 US Pro Challenge (2nd, '21), 2011 Volta ao Algarve (2nd, '32), and 2011 US Pro Challenge (3rd, '17).
And if we're not looking at how far back he was, but his GC place. There is Paris-Nice, Dauphine, 2011 Cali, and 2012 Cali.

I do agree with you on Gesink though, if he won he would be a deserving winner, I just think Tejay deserves it a little more; and I would just prefer to see him take the win.

TRENDING THREADS