• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Santos Tour Down Under Stage 6: Adelaide Street Circuit, 90km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I feel about this the same way as I feel about the sprints in XC skiing. They're a bit of fun, a bit of light entertainment, but they aren't much more than that, and shouldn't be giving out the same amount of points as a victory in a 'proper' stage. But then I think points are weighted heavily in favour of sprinters enabling people to get good WT scores by coming 5th in a bunch of sprints in minor events and this should be rectified too, perhaps by making secondary jerseys worth more and placements worth less (I'm still ok with the points for stage winners, except I'm not sure about giving the same points for this 90km crit as for a 200km five climb stage in Suisse or a 250km hilly stage in Tirreno-Adriatico. Hypothetical of course as these stages could well fail to materialise). Should we include a cyclocross round in the World Tour? That might improve it greatly, actually. I'll take the crits in the WT if we get some cyclocross rounds.

But if this was a 200km flat road stage with a predetermined sprint finish you'd be complaining about how only the last 5km count anyway, so they've saved you 110km of complaining :D

The CBD circuit is driven by the sponsor Tourism South Australia to get fans spending money in city cafe's, restaurants, which also helps placate businesses for the disruption a road race may cause for the rest of the week. At a time where races keep folding because sponsors disappear from a sport which keeps shooting itself in the foot, if the race has to take one in the A to keep a sponsor onside then so be it.

auscyclefan94 said:
There are circuit races all around the world. They are an element of road cycling, therefore cyclists should compete in them from time to time.. Just because it does not suit what you like, it does not mean that we should not have criteriums or circuit races used. Many fans find them entertaining. I don't see the final stage as being ceremonial. In many past editions, the final stage has decided the winner of the race. Your argument is also quite ridiculous when you are basing length of a race as the reason a race should be given more points. Does a longer race = a more exciting race? Of course not. Ending the race in Adelaide is also rather logical, considering that it is the capital city of South Australia and is a central area for people to watch the race and go out for meal, which is convenient for the people and good for business.

Completely agree with what you have said Aus.Overall the TDU is getting better with age like a fine wine"

Short criteriums are the bread and butter of grass routes cycling, particularly in Belgium and France, but also beyond.
I think it's good that this format gets an occasional run out at WT level. It's good for the crowds too.
The gradient addicts won't like it, but those who have an appreciation of the soul of cycling will understand it's place.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Geraint Too Fast said:
Thomas will probably get it on count back. He's finished in the top 20 on every stage so far.

Thanks.
Good for Thomas (he deserved to finish on the podium) but at the same time too bad Herman's will miss out, I was half hoping he would hang on to his podium.

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Leendert82 said:
what was the result of the 1st Intermediate sprints?

Official results from the Jayco Sprint #1:

1. Geraint Thomas (Sky)
2. Wilco Kelderman (Blanco)
3. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Sky)

Official results from the Jayco Sprint #2:

1. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Sky)
2. Juan Jose Lobato (Euskaltel)
3. Geraint Thomas (Sky)

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Virtual Standing?

1. SLAGTER, T
2. MORENO BAZAN, J
3. THOMAS, G
4. HERMANS, B
5. IZAGIRRE, I
6. MACHADO, T
7. KELDERMAN, W
8. IZAGIRRE, G
9. PIETROPOLLI, D
10. VEIKKANEN, J

HiCadence

BANNED
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Leendert82 said:
How? just try, there are seconds to be earned. If he is wel placed with a good leadout from Renshaw he might get a few seconds. Worth a try I think

LOL! Yea right because he has the ability to rival Greipel, Goss, Ferarri, Guardini, Kittel and countless other :eek:

Not sure if trolling or....

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
@HiCadence, you might be right that Kelderman is not faster then all of them... But if you dont try you dont get any seconds and wont climb in the General Classification.

Im not saying it will work, but he has a chance, and as long as there is a change he should go for it.

TRENDING THREADS