• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour de France, stage 18: Gap - Alpe-d'Huez, 172.5km

Page 77 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
gyorgyigabor said:
Alpe d'Huez is a climb to love; one of the most historical ascent of the Tour de France.
I attache / show my video about La Marmotte bicyclemarathon (174 km + 4900 m with Alpe d'Huez finish), when a cyclist can experience to cycle it in a cycing field and to experience the support of fans, people along the road. That was fantastic feeling :)
In the video: at 2nd min starts the climb and by the 6th min can seen the situation when fans shouted to me to support...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kUYr1s3uA8

Best regards,
Gabor

Nice vid. Well done. How long did it take you complete the climb?

postmanhat said:
Worse thing about today?

Apparently some fans were booing Froome

Second worse thing?

The journo nearly to**ing himself to let Froome know, Classy work

Maybe the Millwall chant is a suitable riposte for some of the cycling bigots?

'No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes, we don't care'

Froome gets booed for obvious clinic reasons. What do you expect? Hoorays?

luckyboy said:
Why should Cadel retire just because he can't challenge Tour GC anymore? Can be road captain etc

PS Sep Vanmarcke rode up Alpe d'Huez on the 53 chainring today because he had gear problems :cool:

Evans does not have to retire. But he will have to reinvent himself as his grand tour winning days are over. Even if he rides the Giro next year without Nibali being there, he will still struggle to make the podium and many other riders will also target the Giro to dodge Froome, Quintana and Nibali in the Tour. He will be 37 early next year. Can't see him playing domestique like Voight and Kloeden or Horner so he will just have to take a reality check and have a go at the Ardennes classics or the shorter stage races. His age won't effect him as much in the shorter races. I am sure that if he wants to ride the Tour next year he won't be the leader and that's just the way it is. He and Gilbert will make a great combination in the classics along with GVA and others for support. The only other option is retirement and he has had a career most other riders would be more than happy with.

Bike-weight rules are outdated anyway. They could easily make lighter bikes that are just as safe these days. I've read somewhere that Armstrong's Trek in 1999 weighed less than today's 6.8kg minimum. They could probably take 1kg off that without harming rider safety one bit or harming any of the bike producers.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
6638098-cycling-tour.jpg

hfer07 said:
That Gel must be "unique" in its kind to make a "bonked" athlete recovered in such short period of time to keep him in contention while neither losing massive power nor allowing his nearest rival to gain time during a 7.6% average climb, on the 3rd week or racing.......

good try;)
i am just saying, there is two times that ive felt close to hitting the wall...the first time i didnt had any gels and/or food, so i ended up with cramps and lost all power. 2nd time, same situation, but as soon as i felt it, i shoved 2 energy gels, and within 10-15 mins, i was feeling back to normal.

hfer07 said:
That Gel must be "unique" in its kind to make a "bonked" athlete recovered in such short period of time
You are dead on. The Elite Gel Max manufactured by Manchester
based premium sports nutrition experts CNP is a multisource energy
gel with caffeine and a 5:1 ratio of maltodextrin to fructose for
optimum carbohydrate delivery to working muscles.

The use of CNP premium sports nutrition products is just part of
Team SKY's attention to detail in their search for sporting excellence.

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
anyone recorded this stage ?

Could anyone post a full replay of this stage as a downloadable (English commentary of Phil & Paul if so).. This stage is a must have collectible..

TRENDING THREADS