• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour de France, stage 18: Gap - Alpe-d'Huez, 172.5km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have ridden down the Sarenne descent in the rain and it was F*****g aweful. Mind you, that was 12 years ago (not racing, either)
You would have hoped they'd have resurfaced it by now.
I'd be understanding of that being cancelled in heavy rain

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I rode down the Col du Sarenne yesterday and they were digging up and re asphalting large sections including one entire corner. Instill have bits of ashphalt stuck on my tyres. The road is very bumpy and narrow in many sections that will be interesting how the riders approach it even if it was dry. It's been raining steadily for the past hour in Venosc around 20kms away.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
This is a joke right. They announced Alpe twice 8 months ago. Been shouting about it every week since then. Prudehomme has probably been creaming over it for a decade. They probably in 2011 were already working out exactly what the profile would look like. Its supposed to be the queen stage of the queen tour.

And only now, less than a day before the stage, they realize- oh ****, that descent looks dangerous and it might rain.

If they dont do every metre of that stage, CP should resign by the end of the day.

This!!

7 8 9 10

They cancelled the Crostis descent, I can't see how they're going to race this ****.

Oh wait Riis & Velasco now have to gain time so it's all ok to race furiously, while at the Crostis time they just wanted to relax.

The sooner these guys quit cycling, the better (and I'm not even touching the obvious clinic things).

(that said, I hope they race, even under a snowstorm :D )

Krzysztof_O said:
Hope for some fireworks tomorrow. Maybe long attack by Contador, Valverde or Rodriguez on first Alpe d' Huez ascent? Alberto will not be happy with 2nd and he can take more risk, I think. Who knows, maybe famous Sarenne descent will be used to distance the yellow jersey (but Contador's got to be careful because Sarenne will be less forgiving than Manse).

No way Purito attacks from more than 3km out.

Probably because they are the most highly paid riders, who have the most to lose financially from crashing, as well as having the largest fan bases who moan about their bad luck?
I mean, of course it sucks if a Peraud crashes out of the race, but how many people really care compared to Contador, Froome, Sagan, Valverde, Evans, etc.?

eta: whatever post I was commenting on disappeared apparently?

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Froome and Andy would like the stage to be shortened cos of the bad weather (surprise). Riis says he will be mad if they do. He says ppl just have to go slowly if they are scared and also refers to the incident yesterday when Froome accused Contador of being reckless saying "if its to fast for him he can just slow down".

http://www.bt.dk/cykling/riis-bliver-gal-hvis-alpe-dhuez-etape-forkortes

Sounds as if saxo got a party planned for tomorrow. Hopefully the stage wont be shortened

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
BigMac said:
Can you quote the entire comment you were responding to from Lupetto pls? All i see is ''.........................''

You can always see it if you click on the little arrow next to the name in the quote (will take you back to the post that is quoted): but here it is

Ned Boulting ‏@nedboulting

JF Pescheux denies any possibility that tomorrow's stage will be shortened. Has no idea how these rumours started.

Gugashwill

BANNED
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Handbrake said:
I rode down the Col du Sarenne yesterday and they were digging up and re asphalting large sections including one entire corner. Instill have bits of ashphalt stuck on my tyres. The road is very bumpy and narrow in many sections that will be interesting how the riders approach it even if it was dry. It's been raining steadily for the past hour in Venosc around 20kms away.
Brand new asphalt is very dangerous if it's wet.
Also, the riders have reconnoitered the descent on the bad surface, the new one might be tempting.

Can't see what the problem is with the descent, just go slow and you will be fine. If you don't dare to go as fast as others who take more risks then that's your problem. It's a race ffs.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Nastyy said:
Can't see what the problem is with the descent, just go slow and you will be fine. If you don't dare to go as fast as others who take more risks then that's your problem. It's a race ffs.

This. It would be crazy if every descent in the tour were like this. Or maybe not, I guess descending skill would just be further emphasized in determining the winner. But I digress, anyway, I think this is absolutely right, bike racing is inherently dangerous and if Froome feels that the speed of others is too dangerous, he can slow down. He could do that and still win the overall comfortably as it is...