• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour of Qatar (3rd-8th February), 2.HC

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
2013 Tour of Qatar (3rd-8th February), 2.HC

parcours.jpg

Stage 1: Sunday, February 3, 143 km
Katara Cultural Village → Dukhan Beach
Stage 2: Monday, February 4, 14 km TTT
Al Rufaa Street
Stage 3: Tuesday, February 5, 143 km
Al Wakra → Mesaieed
Stage 4: Wednesday, February 6, 160 km
Camel Race Track → Al Khor Corniche
Stage 5: Thursday, February 7, 154 km
Al Zubara Fort → Madinat Al Shamal
Stage 6: Friday, February 8, 116 km
Sealine Beach Resort → Doha Corniche

Stage Profiles: _________________________________

Startlist: http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=MjM3ODk=

Other route and race info: http://www.letour.com/2013/TQA/COURSE/us/le_parcours.html

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Radioshack just announced the team they're sending and they can be considered favourites. They have Cancellara, Devolder, Gallopin, Irizar, Oliveira, Rast and Roulsten. The time trial isn't that long, 14Km.

LOL. King of the mountains jersey:D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Way to quiet here today.

Who do people think will win the TTT?

How do people think Cance will do?

Who will win the race?

No Boonen this year, so which sprinter will win most? Cav? Guardini? Modolo?

If we get some good crosswinds, which sprinter can make the selection and survive to take the win?

Discuss. :)

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Way to quiet here today.

Who will win the race?

If we get some good crosswinds, which sprinter can make the selection and survive to take the win?

Cav of course, on all questions, just getting ready for his MSR victory. And Fabian will do great. :)

Afrank said:
Way to quiet here today.

Who will win the race?

1) Sky or Radioshack

2) Top Ten, no podium.

3) EBH or G.

4) Cav or Modolo.

5) Degenkolb.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
This race should be significantly less exciting now that OPQS are riding for Cavendish, which means they'll want an easy race. Hopefully some of the other teams are up to the task of splitting the field.

Lol, teams don't split the field here.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Yea they do. One team has to start, or nothing happens. Depends on the wind though, if it's insanely strong then there will be splits anyway.

Lol, that's not how it works.

If there are heavy crosswinds teams will want to keep their best riders in the front. This will automatically increase the pace and cause splits. Everyone who doesn't want to be thrown out the back has to co-operate in an echelon, that includes Cavendish. Why else do you think Leipheimer and Bradley Wiggins were actively taking turns during stage 2 in Paris-Nice last year?

Considering Qatar is a flat country, in the middle of a desert, close to the sea, there will be the risk of crosswinds where ever they go. It's not just one specific location like in some European races, but the entire race is windy.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
gruppeto993 said:
Radioshack just announced the team they're sending and they can be considered favourites. They have Cancellara, Devolder, Gallopin, Irizar, Oliveira, Rast and Roulsten. The time trial isn't that long, 14Km.

LOL. King of the mountains jersey:D

More like King of the Sand dunes.:D

More than likely Cavendish showing off his new team kit with a few stage wins,maybe an upset stage for Modolo/Degenkolb?TTT will be won by either Radioshack/Sky.As others have posted im hoping for a couple of really windy days to help make the race more exciting.Im happy just to see some more racing really"

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
As for Blanco, aren't they invited or are they just ignoring this race? I hope for the latter, as European and US based teams (Aussie teams too tbh) should be ignoring snoozefests like these. Wanna race on the other side of the world? Then give Australia some more races, they actually have been producing top cyclists for some time now. I can't imagine one team being really happy about having just to cycle this race knowing they're Pat's b**tch.

Afrank said:

Who will win the race?

OGE, Sky, OPQS or RS. I think RS are most likely to though.

I think he could top 5 and he will attack at some point.

Cav. I expect Bouhanni, Degenkolb and Guardini to also challenge.

Degenkolb- though Cav and Bouhanni might be able to as well.

Some riders i expect to go well include Thomas/EBH, Kreder, Haussler, Viviani, Blythe and Haller- not just for the overall.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
It's amazing how many people take one glance at the profiles and assume it's a dull race. You have to go back a long time to find no echelon racing in Qatar. Go ahead, see if you can find me an edition where every stage was a bunch sprint (and a sprint from a group of 20 when the rest of the race is in about nine other groups doesn't count of course :p )

Der Effe said:
As for Blanco, aren't they invited or are they just ignoring this race? I hope for the latter, as European and US based teams (Aussie teams too tbh) should be ignoring snoozefests like these. Wanna race on the other side of the world? Then give Australia some more races, they actually have been producing top cyclists for some time now. I can't imagine one team being really happy about having just to cycle this race knowing they're Pat's b**tch.
Not invited. They'd have loved to ride probably, they need all the publicity they can get (which of course is not much, in Holland).

In the past one team that was very keen on keeping a high pace and creating echelons was Cervelo Test Team with Haussler. Perhaps Haussler and IAM can bring a similar attitude now. Sky have been a bit unsteady in the past in cross winds but perhaps Rasch who is a cross winds expert can bring some steadyness to them now.

TRENDING THREADS