• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Volta ao Algarve (14th-17th February), 2.1

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Etapa 1: Faro - Albufeira, 198,8 km

1ETAPA.jpg

Etapa 2: Lagoa - Lagoa, 195 km

2ETAPA.jpg

Etapa 3: Portimão - Alto do Malhão, 193 km

Malhao.jpg

Etapa 4: Castro Marim - Tavira, 34,8 km (Contrarrelógio individual)

CR.jpg

Teams

Blanco Pro Cycling (Bos, Kelderman, Kruijswijk)
Euskaltel-Euskadi (Mestre)
Movistar Team (Costa)
Omega Pharma-Quick Step (Cavendish, Martin, Chavanel)
RadioShack-Leopard (Machado, Klöden)
Team Saxo-Tinkoff
Sky (Henao, Uran)
Vacansoleil-DCM (De Gendt, Westra)
Caja Rural
Colombia
Team Katusha (Kolobnev, Menchov)
Topsport Vlaanderen-Baloise
UnitedHealthcare
Carmim-Tavira
Efapel-Glassdrive
LA Alumínios-Antarte
Louletano-Dunas Douradas
OFM-Quinta da Lixa
Rádio Popular-Onda
An Post-Chainreaction

iirc malhão is something like 3k at 9%, maybe a bit shorter so it's more a hill then a proper climb.

it's a shame to see this race having so many financial problems every year. if they had some money they could certainly use other better climbs in that area as well.

Parrulo said:
iirc malhão is something like 3k at 9%, maybe a bit shorter so it's more a hill then a proper climb.

it's a shame to see this race having so many financial problems every year. if they had some money they could certainly use other better climbs in that area as well.

I like stage 3, these hills are enough if the riders wants to race. However the balance overall... not good.

Dazed and Confused said:
dare I ask?

ahjkshjalhjflkflsFJDSLHFFKlhashjlkHHHFJdsahhfD
The Amazing Wilco Kelderman.

BTW, you asked about Malhao: even last year, when Tony Martin was climbing like a brick for most of the season, he made the top-10 on Malhao. That's how hard that climb is. And judging by the Mallorcan races, his climbing legs are back.

theyoungest said:
The Amazing Wilco Kelderman.

BTW, you asked about Malhao: even last year, when Tony Martin was climbing like a brick for most of the season, he made the top-10 on Malhao. That's how hard that climb is. And judging by the Mallorcan races, his climbing legs are back.

Thanks.
stage 3 looks good for some hilly action, but clearly we need a serious climbing stage somewhere to balance the long TT. Hell Bert Grabsch could almost win this GC.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Look at his Wilco's face, it's soft as velvet. I could write a poem about it. No doubt about it he'll win this race but just maybe he'll let some guys pass and go for a top 10 to not ruin their confidence completely. It's still early season.

Der Effe said:
Look at his Wilco's face, it's soft as velvet. I could write a poem about it. No doubt about it he'll win this race but just maybe he'll let some guys pass and go for a top 10 to not ruin their confidence completely. It's still early season.
Indeed. But who do you think he will gift it to? Tony didn't really have the best season last year, so maybe he will gift it to him, no?

Dazed and Confused said:
way too soft for me. This boy can't make it. Where are the scars? Any record of broken bones?

Damn, instead of interval training he will be at the manicure shop.
He's had his share of broken collar bones/wrist/what have you. But he still dominated the U23 scene. So I guess there is something angelic about him.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
Indeed. But who do you think he will gift it to? Tony didn't really have the best season last year, so maybe he will gift it to him, no?

Would be the obvious choice but Wilco works in mysterious ways!