• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Volta ao Algarve (14th-17th February), 2.1

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Cav really wants another MSR! Only a fool would believe that interview. Lot's of races, lighter, wining since race 1, add Boonen's injury... Cav fools no one.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
pedromartins said:
Cav really wants another MSR! Only a fool would believe that interview. Lot's of races, lighter, wining since race 1, add Boonen's injury... Cav fools no one.

Do you really think Cav thinks he can beat Sagan?

gruppeto993 said:
who else might be good for the ITT apart from martin and westra?
And Woet Poels is competing too.

Dowsett (although he was a little sick this week), Castroviejo, Costa, Kelderman, Oliveira, Kloden?, Sergent? Boaro, Chavanel?, Kwiatkowski?, Chernetskiy? although some of them are normally better in shorter TTs and I dont know about the form of most of them.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Do you really think Cav thinks he can beat Sagan?

Good one. In a flat sprint yes Cav will beat Sagan. But not in milan san remo with that descent and the poggio. The only person who I think is capable of beating sagan in milan san remo is cancellara. But Im not sure how.

gruppeto993 said:
Good one. In a flat sprint yes Cav will beat Sagan. But not in milan san remo with that descent and the poggio. The only person who I think is capable of beating sagan in milan san remo is cancellara. But Im not sure how.
I don't know if you remember Cav's win, but that was a pretty impressive sprint. If he arrives with the same kind of form, why not.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
gruppeto993 said:

So only 2 people will start Milan-San Remo? :eek:

MSR is a lottery race, there are a lot of possible scenario's. Sagan could've won last year as well.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Im not saying that only 2 people will start. I know that milan san remo is a lottery race. I mean who would have thought gerrans would win. All Im saying is that the race is tailor made for sagan and cancellara can beat him since he has more experience. Whilst the former can sprint well, the latter can hold off the peleton and other contenders by time trialing away.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I don't know if you remember Cav's win, but that was a pretty impressive sprint. If he arrives with the same kind of form, why not.

If Cav arrives with sagan to the finish then yes he will beat him since his sprint is obviously better than sagan's on the flat. But if Sagan attacks on the descent or poggio then it'll be very hard to catch him unless you have about three team mates chasing for you.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
anyone still thinking cav makes any sort of chance in msr, since the new course a few years back, is completely dilusional, but be my guest I'll be laughing my *** off again when laying him at x2 odds like last year :L

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
anyone still thinking cav makes any sort of chance in msr, since the new course a few years back, is completely dilusional, but be my guest I'll be laughing my *** off again when laying him at x2 odds like last year :L

New course has nothing to do with this. Cav's 2009 season kind of reminds me of Cipo in 2002 to be honest.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
gruppeto993 said:
If Cav arrives with sagan to the finish then yes he will beat him since his sprint is obviously better than sagan's on the flat. But if Sagan attacks on the descent or poggio then it'll be very hard to catch him unless you have about three team mates chasing for you.

Before that Cav's going to have to make it to the top of the Poggio with the lead group as well. Which is easier said than done. In fact he'll have to make it to the base of the Poggio with the peloton before that, wasn't he dropped on Le Manie last year? :eek:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
New course has nothing to do with this. Cav's 2009 season kind of reminds me of Cipo in 2002 to be honest.

of course it has. he drops there every year. even if rode slowly riders all feel it in their lergs after 300 km especially.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
So only 2 people will start Milan-San Remo? :eek:

MSR is a lottery race, there are a lot of possible scenario's. Sagan could've won last year as well.

Yes,he could.IMO if there wasnt Nibali,Sagan could have won...I dont have anything against Vincenzo but he s****ed it for Liqui.

Edit:sorry for OT,theendfor OT

gruppeto993 said:

Wasn't Cav dispatched earlier in his last appearance at MSR such that it appeared that a formula was established to eliminate him from contention in the future? Why would his competitors' teams deviate from that?