• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Volta ao Algarve (14th-17th February), 2.1

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Back to Algarve

Do you think the U23 bronze medalist Tom Van Asbroeck could have a chance to a top 5 in the sprint?

Also Manuel Cardoso will do a good job tomorrow in the sprint IMO.

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Cavendish had an interrupted time of getting to the Algarve yesterday. he tweeted that a motorway was closed, he missed a flight and a connection!

Is the finish today the same as it was in stage 1 last year? That was tricky with all the roundabouts. Very fast and dangerous.

Bocekmans should ride well today I think. Seems to go well at the start of the year.

Surely all thoses issues don't affect Cavendish, if finish is tricky I dont expect the nearest rival bos to handle it that well anyway.

Not surprised this race is struggling, also seems like we are getting less and less live racing too.

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
manafana said:
Surely all thoses issues don't affect Cavendish, if finish is tricky I dont expect the nearest rival bos to handle it that well anyway.

Not surprised this race is struggling, also seems like we are getting less and less live racing too.

this wasn't live last year eitehr. we got a stream from portugal. and it was highlights later.

maybe they don't affect cav but they can't help.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Gilbert did a last minute attack once on this stage. Maybe Rui Costa or someone like that can do the same. Otherwise it's Cav.

Is it the exact same finish as in 2012? (haven't checked the details yet)

If I remember correctly Rui Costa did attack on that uphill avenue last year, yet failed. Not exactly the power of a fit Gilbert...

Costa doesn't has the acceleration/power needed to get away on such a short hill against a whole peloton like gilbert does :eek:

also they changed the profile of the malhão stage this year making it go twice over the malhão . . . . . so it's even easier then on previous years.