• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Volta ao Algarve (14th-17th February), 2.1

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Martin, Kelderman and Costa are the favourites in my view. Pity Porte is doing Oman- he could have gone well here.

Machado i hope can get a stage win- he, Uran and Kruijswijk will be the strongest climbers.

Menchov and Kloden could feature if they have form as well.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
trevim said:
Wow even at cycling Angola is taking over Portugal :D

lol

cycling is pretty big sport in angola. they have number of professional clubs (benfica luanda). their best rider is igor alberto silva. they never ride outside of angola and sao tome though. so it's hard to know what level they are. will be interesting to see. of course they won't be a factor but would be nice if they could finish the race and stay a bit for the less strong portugese races coming up in march

Ryo Hazuki said:
lol

cycling is pretty big sport in angola. they have number of professional clubs (benfica luanda). their best rider is igor alberto silva. they never ride outside of angola and sao tome though. so it's hard to know what level they are. will be interesting to see. of course they won't be a factor but would be nice if they could finish the race and stay a bit for the less strong portugese races coming up in march
I had no idea cycling was so popular in Angola. I can see it already, the Volta a Portugal is doomed to be sponsored by some big company from there. At least the race won't die if we can get them interested :)

“Originally we thought Algarve, but there was some dispute whether or not if it was on, so we just decided to do this. It’s more to have the race days, really. That was that,” Wiggins explained.

I hope this is a warn signal for the organization, sponsors and everyone involved in the race. Get it together sooner next year; I know it's not easy and we're lucky to have a race but still this is very important.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I am planning to go see the ITT on Sunday in Tavira, I just got to book the bus tickets.

Hopefully I can get some good shots, then I will post them here

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Id take JTL as well. 2 stages Cavendish, one Tony Martin and one to Tiernan Locke to beat Machado & Costa ?

Costa to put in the time trial of his life to win the Overall ? :)

everyone agree on that :)

wheelie1977 said:
Id take JTL as well. 2 stages Cavendish, one Tony Martin and one to Tiernan Locke to beat Machado & Costa ?

Tony Martin will win the overall, that's pretty much a given already. A 30 k time trial to offset a 3 k climb...

And Henao will certainly be among the top-3 on the uphill finish.

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
wheelie1977 said:

looks sound.

Who else on starters list can compete for the podium on the 2 sprint stages? not a lot of household names... any suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS