• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 10: Torredelcampo → Alto Hazallanas (186,8 km)

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
fraserhughes said:
Just my opinion but in a small group if you can't contribute to the pace making then sprinting for the line and pipping the guy who's done most of the work is a bit unsporting.

Basically if you have the legs to sprint then you probably had the legs to be doing some of work earlier. :p
You have to race the race the way it was constructed. The Vuelta gives bonus seconds to the winner, so smart racers have go for that. Same way when the green jersey in TDF is disputed, smart sprinters calculate their efforts for the win. This is bike racing not chivalry contest. The guys are in it to try to win, not to get boyscout badges

Angliru said:
Makes me wonder whether some of these characters even ride a back at all let alone have ever raced or even ever climbed a mountain on a bike.

I've never initiated so much as a fight in a playground, yet alone a military strike against a distant nation. Does that mean I'm not entitled to comment on choices made by Cameron or Obama this week?

Cycling is a mass spectator sport. If it seeks to gain income, it needs to interest and entertain as many people as it can, not only participants.

If you race, good for you: if you live within reach of mountains, good for you, but don't claim an arrogant greater right to comment on account of it.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
My point was if they were struggling then fair enough, they have done the Tour. However for Valverde to just sit behind then out sprint guys who were doing the work is cowardly. Get rid of thes bonus seconds and make them work!!

You seem to know a lot about how a particular rider is feeling and how strong they are.

Armchair cyclist said:
I've never initiated so much as a fight in a playground, yet alone a military strike against a distant nation. Does that mean I'm not entitled to comment on choices made by Cameron or Obama this week?

Cycling is a mass spectator sport. If it seeks to gain income, it needs to interest and entertain as many people as it can, not only participants.

If you race, good for you: if you live within reach of mountains, good for you, but don't claim an arrogant greater right to comment on account of it.

How many turns on the front did we see from Roche? None, because he was yo-yoing off the back and eventually dropped. My point is that some of these opinions are uninformed and/or based on a simple dislike of a particular rider for whatever reason. A rider is dropped earlier in the ultimate climb to me is an obvious indication that that rider is in a bit of difficulty. The same rider fights to regain contact with the elite contenders group and is immediately met with an attack by Nibali which is followed by attacks/accelerations by Basso and ultimately by Nibali. In the midst of such aggressions this rider actually covers one of Basso's accelerations, pulling along his rivals in the process. I think it may be reasonable to think that Valverde is doing his part while at the same time ensuring that he sticks with his rivals without going too far into the red.

No arrogance, condescention or questioning anyone's right to voice their opinion was intended and if that is my post was perceived then I apologize, just reserving my right to disagree with what I see is the basis for this
opinion which appears to me to be either blinded by a bias or a simple lack of
understanding of the suffering involved in what they are witnessing.

When I read about complaints about a rider not making their fair share of contribution in group from those in that group then I will give it credence but not when what of the stage that is available to me tells me otherwise.