2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 10: Torredelcampo → Alto Hazallanas (186,8 km)

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nibali has what it needs to win. I couldn't understand why many people here underestimated him. On the other hand Horner is unbelievable or maybe hard to believe? Still think he's gonna crack, this was nothing compared with next week and he'll be 64 next month.
 
Nov 26, 2012
3,216
0
0
Descender said:
As a reminder, this is the complete pass of Collado de las Sabinas, with the final couple of kms until Sierra Nevada. Today's stage finished at El Dornajo.



BUT WAIT, there's more. One could go on climbing towards the astronomical observatory IRAM.

i have to first confess that i couldn't watch the full stage as there was a network problem.

from what i have seen (last 1.5km), your little climb seems very very easy... (sitting in the back seat of a 4x4);)

seriously, what sort of vehicle do the locals use? can anyone put the 4th gear in that climb at some stage?
Also, is there anyplace where i can watch at least the last climb? any links? steephill only has the last 1.5km clip.
 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
Just watched a replay. Valverde and Purito have spread their disease of watching around instead of pedalling hard. They'll regret what they've done today.
 
webvan said:
Strange riding by Nibs today, thought he wasn't here to win the Vuelta...racing like in the Giro but finding some tougher opponents! Seems to confirm that he wasn't really that much stronger at the Giro than at the 2012 TDF.
How does it confirm your silly belief?:confused:
 
icefire said:
Just watched a replay. Valverde and Purito have spread their disease of watching around instead of pedalling hard. They'll regret what they've done today.
...and just maybe neither of them had the legs to follow the attacks of Horner and Nibali. Valverde was off the back early and fought back on. Let's not forget they both have the Tour in their legs and that this first week of the Vuelta is not typical of grand tours with it's multiple challenging finishes. They also have to choose their battles considering the circumstances to last till Madrid.
 
murali said:
i have to first confess that i couldn't watch the full stage as there was a network problem.

from what i have seen (last 1.5km), your little climb seems very very easy... (sitting in the back seat of a 4x4);)

seriously, what sort of vehicle do the locals use? can anyone put the 4th gear in that climb at some stage?
Also, is there anyplace where i can watch at least the last climb? any links? steephill only has the last 1.5km clip.
Last 16k, and should find the last 2 hrs. At same site:
http://www.rtve.es/m/alacarta/videos/vuelta-ciclista-a-espana/ascension-integra-alto-hazallanas/2010149/?media=tve
 
Finally got round to watching the highlights as I couldn't watch the stage. My good god how frustrating is it to watch Purito and Valverde?! Do some bloody work instead of sitting on the back if you want to podium!! I am not having the excuse of a Tour in their legs as Valverde was happy to rob 3rd on the line like the coward he is. If they would have worked they may have caught Nibali who was only 14 seconds up the road. I'm pleased Pinot and Basso are showing form and I hope one of them can podium.

Nibali looks in good shape and i'm sure will be even stronger come week 3.
 
Pricey_sky said:
Finally got round to watching the highlights as I couldn't watch the stage. My good god how frustrating is it to watch Purito and Valverde?! Do some bloody work instead of sitting on the back if you want to podium!! I am not having the excuse of a Tour in their legs as Valverde was happy to rob 3rd on the line like the coward he is. If they would have worked they may have caught Nibali who was only 14 seconds up the road. I'm pleased Pinot and Basso are showing form and I hope one of them can podium.

Nibali looks in good shape and i'm sure will be even stronger come week 3.
Folks are really pathetic with comments about riders being cowards. Makes me wonder whether some of these characters even ride a back at all let alone have ever raced or even ever climbed a mountain on a bike. It's quite easy to sit at your computer and question riders integrity just because they are failing to entertain up to your unreasonable expectations. :(
 
It is nice to see Pinot, Roche and Basso ride so well. For different reasons (pity, nationalism and nostalgia).

I agree about Valverde and Rodriguez. Nibali and Horner showed some balls, and thankfully they are top two.

I expected a touch more from Majka. It seems now Roche will be ST's main GC hope.

Sky guys seem completed rooked. I hope I am not jumping the gun, but the chances of a Colombian World Champion have receded quite a bit in the last few weeks.

I think it has been a good first week. Saturday's stage to Jaen and Friday's Konig stage were typical Vuelta stages (too much action in last few km, not enough before)...but the stages won by Stybar, Morkov and the first Moreno stage were nice. There is an intriguing GC battle, and I foresee lots of surprises (but I am not prescient enough to predict where).
 
Nov 26, 2012
3,216
0
0
jens_attacks said:
the time ascents from yesterday, includes prevous monachil ascents

de la cruz didn't get close to great warriors, kash and marchante and god vino :D

http://climbing-records.blogspot.com/2013/09/good-old-horner-destroys-everybody-up.html
any data on the final climb? there was only one entry of horner there.

After finally seeing the race, i don't understand the sudden burst about horner. It was a very expected win. If in place of horner, it was pozzovivo or roche or basso who had attacked at that point and cleared 20 sec, then they could also have won.
Basso made a mistake of immediately responding to nibali, after horner's attack. he should have followed horner in the attack, or let others carry him a bit closer before launching his own set of attacks.
 
Angliru said:
Folks are really pathetic with comments about riders being cowards. Makes me wonder whether some of these characters even ride a back at all let alone have ever raced or even ever climbed a mountain on a bike. It's quite easy to sit at your computer and question riders integrity just because they are failing to entertain up to your unreasonable expectations. :(
Well said my man.
 
Apr 19, 2009
140
0
0
I see the Vuelta as a two-horse race now. Horner and Nibali, with Papy as the favourite.
Roche is not a good enough climber. Basso and Pinot are too far back already. Valverde and Rodriguez did the TdF and will suffer for that as the race goes on.
 
roundabout said:
Yes. Expecting riders to at least do a turn when their GC rivals are riding away is unreasonable.

For shame.
If you look at km 3.5 from the finish you will see Valverde about to take a turn before the telecast jumps to another perspective in the peloton. It's not as if we uninterrupted coverage of every rider of importance on every stage. People apparently see what they want to see and ignore all that they don't.:(
 
Nov 26, 2012
3,216
0
0
Angliru said:
People apparently see what they want to see and ignore all that they don't.
I agree to that statement.

Having said that, the fact remains that none of the so-called GC contenders were being bothered by a 41yo jumping 30 sec away in a matter of 800m. in ideal conditions you would have expected the likes of j-rod, valv, nibs working together to bring back Horner. Instead what we saw was a "stem" watching. If certain fans were disgruntled by the lack of initiative shown by a few riders, then there is nothing wrong in that.
 
Jun 6, 2013
265
0
0
I don't have a problem with them not taking turn if they don't have the legs to contribute, but I do think Valverde outsprinting Pinot for 3rd and the bonus seconds was poor form.
 
Jun 6, 2013
265
0
0
barmaher said:
Why is that poor form. He is entitled to do that. Why give away seconds?
Just my opinion but in a small group if you can't contribute to the pace making then sprinting for the line and pipping the guy who's done most of the work is a bit unsporting.

Basically if you have the legs to sprint then you probably had the legs to be doing some of work earlier. :p
 
Nov 26, 2012
3,216
0
0
i would like riders to bring down the time deficit by riding, and not by relying on bonus seconds. if jrod and valv had decided to bring down the gap, they could have caught nibali easily. both of them were doing negative racing. that is the source of concern.
 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
murali said:
I agree to that statement.

Having said that, the fact remains that none of the so-called GC contenders were being bothered by a 41yo jumping 30 sec away in a matter of 800m. in ideal conditions you would have expected the likes of j-rod, valv, nibs working together to bring back Horner. Instead what we saw was a "stem" watching. If certain fans were disgruntled by the lack of initiative shown by a few riders, then there is nothing wrong in that.
Last time I saw the likes of Valv and Basso working together in a climb it was after Szmyd's pace dropped Samu and later on Cadel had a puncture.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS