• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 11: Tarazona→Tarazona TT (38.8km)

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
patrick767 said:
When was the last time Basso rode away from the top GC guys in a grand tour? His 2010 Giro win? He's got over 2 minutes to make up on Roche and Valverde to make the podium. All I've seen him do in recent years is struggle to stay in contact on the big climbs.

under ideal conditions, roche is expected to fade in the last 3 MTFs significantly enough for basso to get a podium spot.

But this vuelta doesn't believe in dieal conditions.

bad luck for Valverde today. But for that issue, he would have been probably 10-20 sec off nibali.

dicanio_michael said:
Seriously ? Martin is not an expert on climbs, but flats lol

it was a 4% climb. For crying out loud Martin can handle that. He did well in ultra-hilly Pais Vasco itt's and even won half a climb ITT in PN once. Tony Martin. Hell he even won PN in the past if you forgot already

So much for your poor cycling knowledge

murali said:
under ideal conditions, roche is expected to fade in the last 3 MTFs significantly enough for basso to get a podium spot.

But this vuelta doesn't believe in dieal conditions.

Fair enough. Also I forgot that Basso is over 2 minutes down on Horner too, though I would expect Horner to fade on those MTFs. We'll see.

patrick767 said:
When was the last time Basso rode away from the top GC guys in a grand tour? His 2010 Giro win? He's got over 2 minutes to make up on Roche and Valverde to make the podium. All I've seen him do in recent years is struggle to stay in contact on the big climbs.

Starting with Saturday it's gonna be brutal. I just don't see Roche and Horner keeping the pace with Basso. On those climbs it's easy to loose 2 minutes.

congrats to fabian. some monster legs i've seen today. firenze should be awesome

the rest...well not so many surprises maybe a little, domenico...one thing is for sure basso and purito must attack in the pyrenees. horner will do the same. the show is just starting

Dekker_Tifosi said:
it was a 4% climb. For crying out loud Martin can handle that. He did well in ultra-hilly Pais Vasco itt's and even won half a climb ITT in PN once. Tony Martin. Hell he even won PN in the past if you forgot already

So much for your poor cycling knowledge

Funny. You need to check who were competing with him in Paris Nice. No Canc..

I was saying Flat TT is the best for Tony Martin. I didn't say he cannot climb at all. Look at the result today. He didn't perform too bad today really. 2nd place huh.. But there was just one man who found the route more suitable.

I watched every Tony Martin TTs after he joined OPQS, plus some big races earlier. I don't know if you reckon this enough ?:cool:

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure why so many people are already writing Horner off. He has shown he can ride away from all the GC contenders, and predicted his own peerformance in the TT. Maybe how won't win, but to act like he's out is just silly.
I'm not saying he's going to win, but I doubt he just lays down.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Eyeballs Out said:
Cancellara got 2 KOM pts :)

I'd like to see him skip the Worlds' ITT and just do the RR

I think he can do both. there is a 4 day gap between the events.

if nothing else, then he can acclimatize for the RR by riding for the TT.

dicanio_michael said:

I was saying Flat TT is the best for Tony Martin. I didn't say he cannot climb at all. Look at the result today. He didn't perform too bad today really. 2nd place huh.. But there was just one man who found the route more suitable.

I watched every Tony Martin TTs after he joined OPQS, plus some big races earlier. I don't know if you reckon this enough ?:cool:

Tony Martin started out as a stage racer who could TT & climb but since winning the TT worlds he has focused only on TTs. The previous Martin could easily outclimb Cancellara but could not TT against him. Now though he is close to Cance's TT capability. However Cance has the edge on short climbs usually found in TTs due to his ability to sustain short intense efforts like the hills of the northern classics.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Martin was poor so it's not a great benchmark. Nibali put 23 seconds in to Roche and 27 in to Valverde, finishing behind Pozzovivo.

It's really not very impressive. Not bad, but nothing to shout about if people thought his TT skill was a weapon which could make a serious contribution to him winning the race.
Nibali doesn't have one weapon: he's an all rounder, solid against the clock and a very good climber. Consistency is the key here.

dicanio_michael said:

I watched every TT before he joined OPQS, hell even when he was an espoir. Don't talk about **** if you only have to show your horrible knowledge

Dekker_Tifosi said:
no but seriously claiming tony is not so good for hills when in 2012 he was 5th in pais vasco for crying out loud, one of the hardest races in the year

Then you have your head buried in the sand so much it's not even funny anymore

I didn't really pay attention to what you where arguing about. Just loved "I've watched every tt Martin have ever done since he was 12 so **** off"

hilarious :eek:

:p

PhiberAwptik said:
I'm not sure why so many people are already writing Horner off. He has shown he can ride away from all the GC contenders, and predicted his own peerformance in the TT. Maybe how won't win, but to act like he's out is just silly.
I'm not saying he's going to win, but I doubt he just lays down.

Well I'm kinda discounting him because:
1-He's coming off a layoff, with only one race under his belt since, it will surely tell late.
2-He couldn't even train during the layoff due to injury for months.
3-He is almost 42!!!! It has to have an effect sooner or later.
4-Everyone was looking at each other and just let him ride away before. Now he has a target on his back. He will have to drop them fair and square from here on out.
5-Lo Squalo is just rounding into form.

He could/should top 5 unless he falls apart; perhaps even podium which would be astonishing.

patrick767 said:

Pretty sure Roche lost 6minutes each of the last 2yrs on individual stages, so hugely strong possibility that time can be made up on him.

cocteau_ireland said:
Pretty sure Roche lost 6minutes each of the last 2yrs on individual stages, so hugely strong possibility that time can be made up on him.

It's certainly possible though I'm not convinced Basso is the one to do it.

It just seems like a lot of people, including Nibali who IIRC named Basso as his strongest competition in this Vuelta, have been overestimating Basso lately. It's been a long time since he showed the capability to ride away from the top contenders on any mountain stage, so I don't know why he's always a GC favorite.

On all the big mountain stages it looks like he's struggling just to hang on. That might get him a top 5 (like Giro 2012), but it won't win a GC.

TRENDING THREADS