• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 18: Burgos-Peña Cabarga (186.5 km)

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 18: Burgos-Peña Cabarga (186.5 km)

We all know the Vuelta is going to be decided in the next three days. Tomorrow, part one, to the gruelling Peña Cabarga!

Finish is expected between 17.27 and 17.54 CET

Before the 6 k long Peña Cabarga, the riders have to tackle four categorised climbs, with the Caracol (2nd category) as the hardest one. This climb is 10 k long with a gradient of 6.5%. Expect a good breakaway up the road, but this one will be for the GC guys, because Purito and Piti still do not have a stage win, and both will find a climb tailor made for them

etp18.gif

18_puerto.png

GC after Stage 17
1 NIBALI Vincenzo Astana Pro Team 68:50:29
2 HORNER Chris RadioShack - Leopard 0:28
3 VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro Movistar Team 1:14
4 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquim Katusha Team 2:29
5 ROCHE Nicolas Team Saxo-Tinkoff 3:43
6 POZZOVIVO Domenico AG2R La Mondiale 5:09
7 PINOT Thibaut Equipe Cycliste FDJ.fr 6:08
8 KONIG Leopold Team NetApp – Endura 6:17
9 SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel Euskaltel - Euskadi 7:33
10 KANGERT Tanel Astana Pro Team 10:52

My prediction;

1. Purito
2. Piti
3. Horner
4. Pozzovivo
5. Nibali

Two times the Vuelta has finished on this climb (2010 and 2011)

Purito master in 2010;
100912-deportes-30-02.jpg

The heroïc fight between Froome and Cobo in 2011
Froome_Chris_Vuelta11_st17-1.jpg

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
phanatic said:
I just hope Cance doesn't win it. I can just see him chasing down Horner so Purito can't win the stage.

I'm pretty sure you can relax. Cancellara will not win this.
First, the climb is way too long for him to keep up with the GC guys.
Second, he is no longer in the race.
As for Cancellara chasing down Horner so Purito can't win the stage... :confused: :confused:

Edit: I see all_in beat me to it.

Arredondo said:
Two times the Vuelta has finished on this climb (2010 and 2011)

False - much like the similar Rifugio Gardeccia (also about 6km and 10%) Peña Cabarga was not a brand new summit but a long-forgotten one when it was included in the 2010 Vuelta.

5-haro-pena-cabarga.jpg

For the record, the other winner on the climb is Ángel López del Álamo, who won from the break. It was the biggest achievement of his career by far.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
History lesson for the OP and for anyone else who wrongly think this is the third visit of the Vuelta to Peña Cabarga:

Peña Cabarga hosted a stage finish in 1979. The stage winner was Ángel López del Álamo from a lone break. Van Impe was the first of the GC men and Zoetemelk took the yellow jersey that day till the end of the race.

http://historia.lavuelta.com/es/anio.asp?a=1979

and click on the "Ganad. Etapas" or the "Los líderes" tab.

The Vuelta history page also has a search by climb that at least gives the years each climb has been done.

http://historia.lavuelta.com/es/puertos.asp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Purito and piti should fight this one out for the win. I dont think horner is explosive enough to actually get the win on a stage like this, although that would be awesome:). So ill say valverde for the win over purito with horner right behind and nibbles a little further back.

TRENDING THREADS