2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 20: Avilés→Alto de L´Angliru (142 Km)

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who wins Angliru?

  • Breakaway

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
jaylew said:
Can't wait for this one. Last road stage of a GT is a tough mtf and the top 3 are within 1 minute and the top 4 within 2 minutes. To top it off, I like all the riders in the top 4, so I'll be happy with whoever winds up in the red jersey. That said, I'd like to see Horner win it, followed by Valverde or Purito.
And of course, I overslept and missed the entire thing.:mad::mad: I woke up just in time to see Elissonde crossing the finish line.:(

Oh well, I'm SO happy for Horner - I've never changed my avatar, but I might have to do a temporary change in his honor. Congrats to he, Nibs, and Valverde - I love that final podium!

Post replay links if you find them, please!
 
Another great ride by Chris Horner. He was the best man of the race over the course of three weeks, and he's a very worthy winner. What a great day to be an American!!!! USA! USA! USA! It's so nice to finally see an American win the Vuelta a Espana.
 
Mar 10, 2009
1,318
0
0
Rollthedice said:
So what's the big deal? He learned something from Lance. The fighting spirit.
Risking crossing into Clinic topics (but not really because that is what you clearly insinuated), Horner has ridden for several GT contenders in his long career. Mostly strong, mostly as a domestique, and mostly interrupted.

That he shines now is perhaps an effect of the tarnished luster of so many that proceeded him.

My edit: changed Clinic from Cafe.
 
murali said:
I felt very bad to see nibali suffer.

why the eff was fugslang not coming back to up the pace when nibali attacked? tiralongo, who was ahead of fugslang, came back to fetch him.

And when the 2 astana riders had joined nibbles, why were they not setting pace in the front?

Though I am happy to see the 41 yr old win, i think astana tactics lost them the podium position, both in team classification and overall.
From what I could see Kangert, Tiralongo and Fuglsang were on the front until they were spent (Kangert & Tiralongo) and Fuglsang until Nibali attacked.
 
Opposite extremes. Ellisonde too young to win 19th stage, one of the hardest stages in his first GT, no cumulative stress OR Horner too old to handle cumulative stress anymore and to be GT winner. Funny I think it's more believeable for Horner than Ellisonde if we leave Clinic stuff out. Enyone else?
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
memyselfandI said:
Opposite extremes. Ellisonde too young to win 19th stage, one of the hardest stages in his first GT, no cumulative stress OR Horner too old to handle cumulative stress anymore and to be GT winner. Funny I think it's more believeable for Horner than Ellisonde if we leave Clinic stuff out. Enyone else?
Have you ever looked at Elissonde? The guy is tiny. He's the perfect rider for El Angliru.
 
Nov 26, 2012
3,216
0
0
Angliru said:
From what I could see Kangert, Tiralongo and Fuglsang were on the front until they were spent (Kangert & Tiralongo) and Fuglsang until Nibali attacked.
ohh.... that was me angry that nibali didn't make it. i thought he would take vuelta by 2 min + when he attacked at 6.2km mark, and nobody was following him.

i would still have hoped for fugslang to follow horner. i think i will need a good sleep to clear my mind from today's conflicting emotions. Hindsight is a good thing.
 
Aug 31, 2012
349
0
0
Whatever you can say about Horner, we have been watching one of the most epic stages of cycling history IMHO.

Yes, I'm Asturian and what I am going to say but anyway I think it's true.
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,530
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Mount Baldy huh.. so we'll see Gesink winning the Vuelta in about 14 years? :eek:
Together with you, as you promised. But be ready, Chad Haga will contest you. He will have the age by then. And don´t forget Froome, he will be only 42 and just coming off his 20th GT win...
 
Asturiano said:
Whatever you can say about Horner, we have been watching one of the most epic stages of cycling history IMHO.

Yes, I'm Asturian and what I am going to say but anyway I think it's true.
Let's not get carried away... Cycling history has delivered much, much more than this.

It was a very good stage, but nothing legendary.
 
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Together with you, as you promised. But be ready, Chad Haga will contest you. He will have the age by then. And don´t forget Froome, he will be only 42 and just coming off his 20th GT win...
Better start searching where the f.ck i put my racing bike. It's adamant I start training right away
 
jens_attacks said:
....i think this battle was fantastic, one of the best i've ever seen. and horner won it which is great for me. now i really hope he stays healthy and upright and he definitely can beat froome next year
Fantastic racing, yes.

Horner beat Froome? Not a chance. Not even on the climbs, let alone the TTs.
 
RedheadDane said:
I'm gonna take my hat off!

To Nibali, who attacked, attacked, attacked!
To Horner, who withstood the attacks and in the end settled the fight.
To Ellisonde, who fought and won a beautiful Victory.
To the weather, who gave us an impressive scenario.
ˆˆˆTHIS!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY