• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 6: Guijuelo → Cáceres (175 km)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
speechless.

I didn't give a damn about who won. my eyes were only on tony martin, charging his way to the finish, trying desperately to hold on. 20 m is so effing close.:( I actually was reminded of a stage in TdF in which Voeckler was caught in the final km after going solo for a long distance.

Supercombativity award for Tony Martin, please!!!!!!!!

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
I'm as disappointed as everyone else that Martin didn't win, but Cancellara's move was one that gave him a legitimate chance to win. The sprinters were dying after Rasmussen and Cancellara did their turns on the front.

Ofcourse it was a legitimate move, but I don't think he would have done it if it wasn't Martin who was upfront

BS2GAZ4IYAAy9Ek.jpg

Zinoviev Letter said:
I'm as disappointed as everyone else that Martin didn't win, but Cancellara's move was one that gave him a legitimate chance to win. The sprinters were dying after Rasmussen and Cancellara did their turns on the front.

Exactly! If Cancellara dragged them up to Martin's wheel then sat up then that would be really bad. However he decided he wanted to contest the sprint and he has every right to do so. He even got 3rd! Still gutted for Tony but it's everyone for themselves in a sprint finish.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Farrar came 4th, just ahead of flecha. another top-10 for rainbow jersey.

I think this stage should be recorded as historic for obvious reasons.

Zinoviev Letter said:
I don't think that the opportunity would have arisen if it wasn't Martin at the front, because the legs wouldn't have been ripped off the sprinters in the final chase if it had been any other lone rider.

Indeed, with this much power Martin will crush everyone on this years worlds long and flat course!!!!!

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:

TM tried to sprint after seeing that. its not as if he stopped pedaling after seeing the bunch coming so fast towards him.

Of course, anyone can argue that he shouldn't have turned back at that place. but this guy has been riding all alone for a whooping 170 km.

please dont blame Cancellera. he did what he had to do. blame the other sprinter teams for not identifying the danger of tony martin, and not actually brining him back within 5km to finish.

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Cancellara, why?????:mad::mad::(

Course it´s pro cycling and not a PCM game, and besides, Martin would have done the exact same thing if it had been Canc out in front, and it´s not the first time he would have wheeled in Canc then. Payback is a bi a t ch!

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Beetlejuice said:
Course it´s pro cycling and not a PCM game, and besides, Martin would have done the exact same thing if it had been Canc out in front, and it´s not the first time he would have wheeled in Canc then. Payback is a bi a t ch!

if canc was in the front and TM was chasing, he would have caught within 500 m, and set meersman for the win.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Eyeballs Out said:
Guess Cancellara must hate Dani Moreno as well - otherwise why would he have tried to win stage 4

Completely different situations.

And I don't disapprove of his actions. I'm just saying that he might have done a different thing if it was some unknown spaniard upfront in stead of Martin