• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a Espana, Stage 19: S. Vicente Barquera / Oviedo.Alto Naranco (181km)

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
Rule number 1 of racing:

Racing is always allowed.

Quoted for truth.

On the topic of racing on the final day, didn't Eddy Merckx once get asked something by a reporter about about not winning the overall of the race and he said he was going to attack the final day as soon as they dropped the flag?

murali said:
wasn't there a GT that was decided by a road stage(not iTT at the end)?

Hinault / Zoetemelk, 78 TDF, I guess. Everyone was happily rolling into Paris when Zoetemelk (nearly two minutes down on Hinault) attacked, and the two of them broke away. The Badger won the stage, and Joop subsequently failed that day's drug test and was given a ten minute penalty.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Fantastic Purito! Really glad to see him win, a GT without a stage win from Purito isn't a real GT.

Horner will win this Vuelta, tomorrow he'l win on Angliru. I think it will be a interesting battle between Piti and Purito, though i think Piti just has the benefit. Nibali could drop to 4th, if he has a day like this on Angliru.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
Quoted for truth.

On the topic of racing on the final day, didn't Eddy Merckx once get asked something by a reporter about about not winning the overall of the race and he said he was going to attack the final day as soon as they dropped the flag?

You're forgetting the Sparticus addendum and the tradition of not attacking the leader due to a mechanical or some other lame issue. (not that I agree with it but it factors in)

murali said:
tactically, he must be counting on it.

Astana still has the full team, while RLT has already lost Cancellara.

advantage nibali.

How does having a full team will help Nibali in the Angliru?

If Nibali doesn't suddenly get stronger, no tactic play will help him in a climb as difficult as the Angliru.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
afpm90 said:
How does having a full team will help Nibali in the Angliru?

If Nibali doesn't suddenly get stronger, no tactic play will help him in a climb as difficult as the Angliru.

Well as race leader Chris's team will take the lead or his teammates, whereas not Nibali only has to have his teammates follow along and block the wind for him and make sure he doesn't run over any flat causing objects on the road. If you've ever tried to lead a pack for a whole race you know Chris will be with much less teammates come Angrilu time and even though its up to them having a spare teammate alongside is as good as having a spare set of wheels and bike there just for you at a moments notice. Again, a small factor in an MTF but still a factor.

ElChingon said:
Well as race leader Chris's team will take the lead or his teammates, whereas not Nibali only has to have his teammates follow along and block the wind for him and make sure he doesn't run over any flat causing objects on the road. If you've ever tried to lead a pack for a whole race you know Chris will be with much less teammates come Angrilu time and even though its up to them having a spare teammate alongside is as good as having a spare set of wheels and bike there just for you at a moments notice. Again, a small factor in an MTF but still a factor.

I guess that Horner's team mates have not had to put in the work of Nibali's over the last week is a factoe aswell

TRENDING THREADS