• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco, Stage 1: Elgoibar - Elgoibar 156.5 KM

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
if i'm not wrong, aiastia starting from etxebarria is usually put before arrate in the classic pais vasco stage. it's a ten minutes effort.in my opinion contador will attack today here. if you go at 30 km/h on this one,it can cause carnage
anyway there will be lots of attacks today, i'm sure. i'm anxious to see JTL in form

Does anyone know why Sky have brought such a small squad? It looks like they are 2 riders short.

SKY PROCYCLING (SKY) GBR
11 PORTE Richie AUS
13 DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd USA
15 HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Luis COL
16 KIRYIENKA Vasil BLR
17 TIERNAN-LOCKE Jonathan GBR
18 ZANDIO ECHAIDE Xabier ESP

Publicus said:
Does anyone know why Sky have brought such a small squad? It looks like they are 2 riders short.

SKY PROCYCLING (SKY) GBR
11 PORTE Richie AUS
16 KIRYIENKA Vasil BLR

Boswell would have ridden but is presumably struggling after his crash at CI - Sky's twitter seem to think Josh Edmondson is still riding. Sky, as with other WT teams, have routinely shown that they wont always replace injured riders.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Matthew Busche (Radioshack)
Mickaël Cherel (Ag2r)
Ángel Madrazo (Movistar)
Maciej Paterski (Cannondale)
Mikel Landa (Euskaltel)
Amets Txurruka (Caja Rural)
Xabier Zandio (Sky)

50" advantage over the field

I'm assuming Saxo is chasing?

Very confusing information coming over twitter. Maybe it is April Fool's Day cr@p here in the States, but apparently Hernandez and Zaugg (Saxo) are also in the break. Trying to find someone else who confirms that.

EDIT: Confirmed Zaugg was 3rd over the 1st climb. And the Radioshack rider is definitely Didier and not Busche.

EDIT#2: Zaugg and Hernandez are in the peloton. Break is just 2 men: Didier and Txurruka.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Publicus said:
Very confusing information coming over twitter. Maybe it is April Fool's Day cr@p here in the States, but apparently Hernandez and Zaugg (Saxo) are also in the break. Trying to find someone else who confirms that.

Looks solid, the ticker says Orden de paso por el Alto de Asensio (2ª): Txurruka (202 - Caja Rural), Didier (42 - RadioShack), Hernández (93 - Saxo -Tinkoff) y Zaugg (96 - Saxo - Tinkoff).

Or they just first over from the peloton, ticker shows only Txurruka and Didier as escapies.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Publicus said:
I see what is going on. The original break fell has only 2 guys left. Zaugg and Hernandez are at the head of the peloton. I thought that was a surprisingly aggressive move by Saxo.

yep, bit confusing to start with, but you right.

HiCadence

BANNED
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Publicus said:

SKY PROCYCLING (SKY) GBR
11 PORTE Richie AUS
16 KIRYIENKA Vasil BLR

JTL has the strength of 3 men obviously :eek: