• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Giro d'Italia Stage 5: Taranto – Viggiano (203km)

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
pozzovivo came very fast after the crash that held him up. samu on the other hand, i spotted him and he looked cooked chasing. i still think he will be there in the 3rd week

also pirazzi's chances for overall already vanished. what will he do i wonder :p

roundabout said:
Sounds like excuses. No sprinter in the top 15 apart from Matthews and about 12 of them have finished at least top-20 in GTs.

Murito was not good enough in the last straight. That's all.

Yeah, but I remember last time Murito did the Giro, on Rocca di Cambio which was similar in some ways, also first gc stage Murito also didn't win the stage and that was probably more suited to him and more selective.

As the Giro progressed though he did get better.

Arredondo said:
The wind was also really strong. So it's difficult if you start your sprint with 350 m to go.

However, he's still not at his best. That's a fact. However, Quintana who had to let a gap twice, also didn't made the best impression. Should be interesting to see next week.
Contador also let some gaps on Montevergine 2011 though before killing them all. The climb just didn't suit Nairo I guess.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Cookster15 said:
When you are Evans age this is right. But at Quintana's age he should not be 'fine tuning' his form just now. His form should already be very close to peak. At young age you can hold peak form longer. But as others have said I think today was more about Quintana using energy to maintain position rather than any sign of his form. He is a lightweight climber after all.

The concern for 'old man' Evans will be how he goes in the ITT. We know more about him after stages 8 & 9. But today was a good sign for him.

Agreed. His time trialling has been abysmal of late. I actually think he'll finish behind uran and similar to Quintana in the first itt (when really he would need a minute or so).
On the other hand he came from a long way back in that finale with no help. I think his form is really good. Will climb w the top 3-4

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
ukm_06.jpg

Same situation with a group of 30 men to the finish line tomorrow?'

The climb is harder and longer, but the finish is much easier.

25/30 men sprint indeed
Expect Ulissi to double up. Not much competition for him here. Evans maybe?

It's moments like these I wonder why Garmin decided last minute to send Slagter to the TDF instead of the Giro.
Stages like this one and the last one were perfect for him.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
pozzovivo came very fast after the crash that held him up. samu on the other hand, i spotted him and he looked cooked chasing. i still think he will be there in the 3rd week

also pirazzi's chances for overall already vanished. what will he do i wonder :p

He is.......unleashed......
giro_stage15_Pirazzi.jpg

:cool:

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
25/30 men sprint indeed

It's moments like these I wonder why Garmin decided last minute to send Slagter to the TDF instead of the Giro.
Stages like this one and the last one were perfect for him.

I might be naive, but EBH could be a threat. He just have to save himself for the final 300 metres.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
25/30 men sprint indeed

Stages like this one and the last one were perfect for him

On every (dutch) site, i read this comment.

Don't talk about this, because where would you like to see Slagter winning? On Viggiano, or Gerardmer of Sheffield?;)

Better Call Saul said:
Nah. I think we'll see either Evans or Uran in pink at the end of stage 8.
What should we make of samu's poor day in the saddle?

Weening won't last in third week but he can TT and stage 8 may be possible for him to hang on. Of course BMC would prefer that. BMC would not be too unhappy for a break to succeed in the next few days .