• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Grandes Prix Cyclistes: Québec et Montréal, 12 and 14 o

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
kingjr said:
I think Valverde is riding in the wrong era, racing-wise. In the 70's and 80's his Palmares would have been even bigger i think.

This is exactly right. Likewise, if Merckx was riding in today's extremely calculated and professional era his Palmeres would probably look similar to Valverde's.

Riders are much more specialized now and races are so much more conservative. You can't go on long distance breaks and win major races consistently because big teams full of super domestiques, with power meters and race radios will reel you in much more often than not.

SKSemtex said:
waw, you really can feel his connection with his fans. very nice.

(or he has much better PR manager than some other cyclists )

He always writes it himself. Loves his fans. In fact, he never uses the word. He says, "I don't have fans, but friends. If you support me you're my friend".

BigMac said:
He always writes it himself. Loves his fans. In fact, he never uses the word. He says, "I don't have fans, but friends. If you support me you're my friend".
1367330023_barfing_pumpkin_by_swirlyman-d31w7pi.jpg

theyoungest said:
As a race, San Sebastian was definitely more boring. In modern cycling, it's unfortunately impossible to attack and stay away with more than 5 k to go. That's probably why riders like Gerro come to the fore.

Imo, none of these races were good. Nothing happens for 180km (or more), too controlled and with an extremely high level of predictability.

It just can't be good for cycling, but I wonder if team owners and DSs understand the problem.

In Montreal Gerrans took full advantage of the waiting game:

123301_DSC_3219.jpg

Race action will probably be about the same at the Worlds RR.

Echoes said:
I personally have always liked Costa, though he's disappointed me a lot this season, and BigMac made me like him even more. :)

And yeah he was the strongest, yesterday.

Howdy, friend! (CCR mode)

Eheh. :) I also had high expectations, and at the end, got disappointed. Especially at the Ardennes, but unfortunately a mechanical put him out of contention in Flèche (if he was even to contend), and a crash made him abandon Liège. At the Tour, pneumonia. Though that's not what botters me the most as, as I said before, I wish he would drop this Grand Tour General Classification utopic journey. I hope he can keep improving and turns into a more captivating rider.

And thanks for CCR! I must admit I had never heard this particular track, and it sounds amazing. Those lyrics... I think I have somethin' in my eye. :)

BigMac said:
Eheh. :) I also had high expectations, and at the end, got disappointed. Especially at the Ardennes, but unfortunately a mechanical put him out of contention in Flèche (if he was even to contend), and a crash made him abandon Liège. At the Tour, pneumonia. Though that's not what botters me the most as, as I said before, I wish he would drop this Grand Tour General Classification utopic journey. I hope he can keep improving and turns into a more captivating rider.

And thanks for CCR! I must admit I had never heard this particular track, and it sounds amazing. Those lyrics... I think I have somethin' in my eye. :)
He was unlucky in both the Ardennes and the Tour so I would say he's having a decent rainbow season. He really needs a breakthrough in the Ardennes though.

Dazed and Confused said:
Imo, none of these races were good. Nothing happens for 180km (or more), too controlled and with an extremely high level of predictability.

It just can't be good for cycling, but I wonder if team owners and DSs understand the problem.

In Montreal Gerrans took full advantage of the waiting game:

Well put sir.

BigMac said:

His GF is the one that writes that stuff. She has a degree in PR and handles his image, pretty well i must say.

I do hate that "i don't have fans, but friends" stuff. Really cheesy

Anyway this canadian races get crappier every year, watched the last lap of Montreal and it was still one lap too much of this races.

Parrulo said:
His GF is the one that writes that stuff. She has a degree in PR and handles his image, pretty well i must say.

I do hate that "i don't have fans, but friends" stuff. Really cheesy

Anyway this canadian races get crappier every year, watched the last lap of Montreal and it was still one lap too much of this races.

Was she the one who said that? I doubt it's her who writes his diaries.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:

In Montreal Gerrans took full advantage of the waiting game

Race action will probably be about the same at the Worlds RR.

the race is too controled because it is too controlable ! Compare what happened in The canadians and on the tour of Britain where you had teams of 6 and no earpieces... To me it has become evident that teams of 6 are the future on all races baring GTs. Give us a LBL with teams of 6 and you won't have many teammates to do the dirty work after 220ks.

BigMac said:

You bet I agree with the last two sentences. You know me, by now. :p

One thing that I couldn't understand is his withdrawal from Milan-Sanremo despite being in top form after Paris-Nice, despite the fact that the race suits him and the fact he's racing as World Champion for an Italian team. Instead he watched it on his laptop in a comfortable couch! You can have bad luck on a couple of occasions but rarely on the whole season, unless with a very serious injury, which wasn't his case.

If calling his supporters "friends" might be cheesy. I like the idea of not calling them "fans". I sometimes say I'm a fan of ... but shouldn't actually and perhaps don't really mean it. If you understand that "fan" comes from "fanatic", so blind and hysterical. We should try to never be a fan of anybody. And for sure, seeing his emotions after his World title kind of got me but I never seen him irl, so can't judge. Besides I like the idea that when racing for Movistar, he had a reputation of racing for himself and not sacrificing his chances for other leaders: Quintana, Valverde, ... When you have talent, you race for yourself [De Vlaeminck approves :D]