• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Milan-San Remo, Mar 23rd (294 Km)

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Yep, this seems to be his sweet spot. Now Katusha needs to continue to try and control the race in the upcoming classics. More big results might be on the cards.

So Kristoff in Flanders and Roubaix, and Purito in the Ardennes classics

I will sign for that;)

Front row view:

313-PIC445399199.jpg

Swift the biggest surprise for me.

edit: A decent defense by Ciolek too

A lot of people are being too hard on Sagan. He was a bike length off Kristoff and hadn't started his sprint when Stybar took him out. Can't be sure whether he had the legs or not. Given that neither Cavendish, Greipel or Degenkolb won the sprint it suggests to me that tactics of not attacking were right.

Anyway, the main question is why was the podium music for Kristoff was "It's a Sin" by the Pet Shop Boys? Haven't heard that for many years.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The Barb said:
A lot of people are being too hard on Sagan. He was a bike length off Kristoff and hadn't started his sprint when Stybar took him out. Can't be sure whether he had the legs or not. Given that neither Cavendish, Greipel or Degenkolb won the sprint it suggests to me that tactics of not attacking were right.

Anyway, the main question is why was the podium music for Kristoff was "It's a Sin" by the Pet Shop Boys? Haven't heard that for many years.
At least it wasn't "Being Boring" I guess.

good show by swift, would not really have him down to suit this but he loved it. Cancellara is so consistent something like 10 monument podiums in a row when completing. But funny he was mad when kristoff was clearly not getting beaten, would suited degenkolb way sprint went.

Funny how over year ago kristoff claim to fame was that he only won on crits or short stages now he can only win over250km ;)

Buffalo Soldier said:
As always MSR shows waaaay more action than Fleche Wallon has ever done.
I am mostly bored with this new generation of cycling fans, I'm afraid.
Please go watch NHL or NBA; or whatever sport people watch who need some crazy action every 10 seconds. Or at least stop complaining here after a good afternoon of racing.

this post makes sense, enjoy bike racing stop moaning

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Yay, just saw Merhawi Kudus finished this race!

Was wandering what a barely 20 year old skinny Eritrean climber did in a 300km cold wet flat race, but he did better than I expected!

Congrats to him! He's an amazing talent.... just not for cold 300km flat races. :p

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Anyone think Puccio had his a bit of breaktrough race?

Worked hard for last 20km for Swift and then still managed to get 12th. He did great in Strade Bianche too.

Finally looking to live up to his early results as youngster.

I thought it was a decent race, good win from Kristoff and a top result for Swift, did not see that coming! Cav was unlucky and gave his all but after nearly 300k in the cold he made the wrong decision to follow Modolo, still a top 5 is another great show from him.

Gloin22 said:

Worked hard for last 20km for Swift and then still managed to get 12th. He did great in Strade Bianche too.

It seems to. Good thing he's living up to his promise after a disappointing last season.
Should get a decent result in the Ronde too.

King Of The Wolds said:
I'm a Cav fan, but Kristoff was the strongest in the sprint, easily.

Kristoff was the strongest in the sprint. But, tactics play a big part in winning a sprint. I'm not making excuses for Cav, but maybe he could have played things differently. Either way I'm happy for Cav....his form is building, and I'm excited to see how he does against the other big sprinters later in the season.

barmaher said:
People like Gilbert, GVA and Nordhaug missed their chance by not following Nibali. A group of three strong riders might have had a chance. Poor Nibali must have been disappointed not to be followed.

He didn't have to distance the 2 breakaway riders on the descent. If he had kept a slower pace, they could've helped him on the flat part towards Poggio.
But ofc it's in Nibali's nature to go crazy on the descents :D

barmaher said:
People like Gilbert, GVA and Nordhaug missed their chance by not following Nibali. A group of three strong riders might have had a chance. Poor Nibali must have been disappointed not to be followed.

In Hindsight yes, but they seemed to have taken the decision to go away only on the Poggio.

As it is said, you must have only one card in MSR and you should stick to it.
May be Belkin could have sent Mollema with Nibbles over the Cipressa but I doubt they would have stayed away.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Kristoff has won the bunch sprint in all the long classics he has done since summer 2012.

- Won the sprint for 3rd Olympic road race (2012)
- Won the sprint for 8th in MSR (2013)
- Won the sprint for 4th in RVV (2013)
- Won the sprint for 9th in P-R (2013)
- Won the sprint for 1st in MSR (2014)

The guy is pretty much unbeatable in a sprint after 250+ km.

Called it. Kind of. I'll take it. ;)

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=1200308#post1200308

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Pleased to see that Dayer Quintana finished this bad boy. He came in with Thor, Förster, and Chicchi - 5:29 back. Impressive first outing for a race this long, and at his age.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
barmaher said:

He was dissapointed, he tweeted a few hrs ago that "I know it was stupid to be alone at the front, but I expected someone to follow me; where are the old riders with the balls?".

I know it's easy to talk after the race but indeed many guys just waited and waited.

Gloin22 said:

Great job from the youngster...it's about time Sky give him a free role in one of those less important races...in the end there's always crappy EBH who can domestique ROFL :D

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Gr8 Race, not as much crazed action in the last 6k, everyone seemed at their limit, it was stretched out. Paolini drilled it to 500meters, nice team work.

Agree. People are underestimating the impact of the cold. Cav was shivering. I know from personal experience when I'm that cold I have absolutely nothing in my legs. That he was able to get over the Poggio then finish 5th in that scrum is just amazing. And for those who argue Nibali should have attacked on the Poggio: he wouldn't have been allowed to get away on the Poggio, and he certainly wasn't going to win the sprint. Or that he should have worked with the two breakaways: they were cooked. Nibali didn't attack them; he just rode his every-second-counts pace and they couldn't follow.

TRENDING THREADS